1953 pontiac chieftain custom catalina restoration

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Fr. Buick said:

You will enjoy the 56 6-way power seat.  I put one on my '54 Buick.  It was an easy adapation, and with my bad back, a nice feature wit the adjustable tilt.

yes, it has the same bolt pattern where the seat cushion mounts to the 6 way frame, and where the floor mounts are the same - the rear mounts may need a short spacer.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well finally got the 1959 Pontiac 389 engine separated from the 1959 strato flight hydra-matic transmission, and got the 389 mounted on the engine stand, with the help of a good friend Jim Vanderwerf from Kentucky. So now I'll run a compression test, start cleaning and derailing the 389, I was able today to look inside the engine to determine if it had dish or flat head pistons, I was happy to see flat head pistons. 

28904.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pontiac1953 said:

Well finally got the 1959 Pontiac 389 engine separated from the 1959 strato flight hydra-matic transmission, and got the 389 mounted on the engine stand, with the help of a good friend Jim Vanderwerf from Kentucky. So now I'll run a compression test, start cleaning and derailing the 389, I was able today to look inside the engine to determine if it had dish or flat head pistons, I was happy to see flat head pistons. 

28904.jpeg

A dream come true. The engine ( well at least a 287 ) that should have been there if Pontiac Division had their way. 

From the factory at least, a HydraMatic equipped 389 would have flat tops. A 10:00 to one compression ratio. The last of the reverse cooled engines sorry to say.

I had one of those short elbow hoses to the head split in my 59 Catalina while drag racing. I had just crossed the finish line at a little over 100mph when it blew. Couldn't see anything and the wipers just made it worse. What a mess.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pfeil said:

A dream come true. The engine ( well at least a 287 ) that should have been there if Pontiac Division had their way. 

From the factory at least, a HydraMatic equipped 389 would have flat tops. A 10:00 to one compression ratio. The last of the reverse cooled engines sorry to say.

I had one of those short elbow hoses to the head split in my 59 Catalina while drag racing. I had just crossed the finish line at a little over 100mph when it blew. Couldn't see anything and the wipers just made it worse. What a mess.  

20200914_123148.jpg

2 minutes ago, pontiac1953 said:

thank you john

Hey Charles, wonder if you could show it as a special interest car or what if car at a POCI event or convention? Let Pontiac fans know how the corporation seemed to always screw with Pontiac's intensions!

2 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

Hey Charles, wonder if you could show it as a special interest car or what if car at a POCI event or convention? Let Pontiac fans know how the corporation seemed to always screw with Pontiac's intensions!

well with all the re-engineering, it may have to be put in the modified catagory

• 2 weeks later...

i pulled the four spark plugs from the left cylinder head to view inside the cylinder to find out what kind of pistons were inside, such as dish pistons, flat top pistons with valve reliefs, or domed pistons. i really didn't except domed pistons since this was a two barrel 389 with strato-flight hydra-matic from a 1959 Catalina station wagon, if i found dish pistons i would changed them to flat top pistons, what i did find using my endoscope attachment for my cell phone, was indeed flat top pistons - but with no valve reliefs, puzzling since all the 389 flat top pistons i've seen had the reliefs. i plan on hooking up a battery and doing a dry and wet compression test, if the readings are good, then i won't need to think about new rings or a valve job.

• Like 1

i got out to the garage and the 389 engine today, took out all the spark plugs, so i would have an easier time turning the crankshaft over by hand and after finding #1 top dead center, i could tell the timing chain was a little stretch, having some play that i could tell by working the crankshaft in both directions, i have a brand new dual idler gear geardrive for the timing set, no more stretched timing chain in the future. i removed the single action fuel pump, the left cyl head coolant inlet elbow, i did verify that the engine block is a 1959 389 by finding the casting date next to the distributor mounting hole, and A 6 9 is what i found, so it's january 6th 1959, the two cyl heads are like A 16 9 so they're january 16th 1959. when i'm turning the engine over by hand, i can feel one spot that's doesn't want rotate as smoothly as the other 350 degrees, making me think there's one cylinder wall that might have a slight rusting in one spot from the engine sitting for the last couple of years, all the pushrods are straight and as i turn the engine over they're rotating as they open and close all the valves. i have the valley pan off. i tried to remove the harmonic balancer but the big bolt wouldn't break loose, so i went ahead and removed the weight and the pulleys, tomorrow i'll hook up my impact gun and break loose that balancer bolt. 

Edited by pontiac1953 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Pfeil said:

Make sure before you do a compression test or just turning the engine over in general to oil prime the engine. You don't want to wipe out the bearings!

this is a used engine, now under no compression stress, having unknown mileage on it but still in very good running condition, i heard the engine run for several minutes before i decided to buy it. there's still good clean oil in the pan. before i'm done with the 389 being on the engine stand, i'm going to drain the oil, drop the pan, inspect the bottom end including checking the bearing clearances with plastic gauge and looking over each bearing for condition before reassembling the bottom end and installing a high performance oil pump with a wilcap pontiac oil pump pick up and screen, the wilcap oil pick up doesn't float on top of the oil like the stock pick up, but stays submerge a little deeper in the motor oil.

• 5 months later...
On 10/4/2020 at 10:39 AM, pontiac1953 said:

this is a used engine, now under no compression stress, having unknown mileage on it but still in very good running condition, i heard the engine run for several minutes before i decided to buy it. there's still good clean oil in the pan. before i'm done with the 389 being on the engine stand, i'm going to drain the oil, drop the pan, inspect the bottom end including checking the bearing clearances with plastic gauge and looking over each bearing for condition before reassembling the bottom end and installing a high performance oil pump with a wilcap pontiac oil pump pick up and screen, the wilcap oil pick up doesn't float on top of the oil like the stock pick up, but stays submerge a little deeper in the motor oil.

You know Charles, if I were checking bearings I would find their size and replace them with Moraine 400 bearings instead of the stock Moraine 100's.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/10/2019 at 12:45 AM, pontiac1953 said:

the rear trunk air conditioning unit came from a 1955 buick roadmaster riviera coupe, i was surprise how well in fits in the forward part of the 1953 pontiac chieftain custom catalina's trunk and clear the the trunk hinges and the original rear radio speaker. i'll have to make return air ducts to go from the under side of the package tray to the two rectangular inlets of the evaporator assembly. i have added the picture of the 1955 Buick factory air conditioning under dash mounted control panel and switches, i like the fact that only "Air Conditioning" is on the panel, i will locate this A/C control panel under the dash of my Pontiac near the ignition switch.

PICT0003.JPG

PICT0005.JPG

20210320_164405.jpg.26b60b71a1246cbe88ee6d9c1e715511.jpg

Edited by pontiac1953
picture added. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/14/2020 at 7:59 PM, pontiac1953 said:

For my 53 Catalina, a nos delco DC-7 3EE battery and a 53 Oldsmobile battery hold down/cover for the 3EE battery, to use in my Catalina I won't need the cover's fender support bracket that oldsmobile was using. 

20200614_193646.jpg

20200613_120513.jpg

I received a nors battery tray today, plan to have the left inner fender modified to recess the tray, battery, holder and lid into the inner fender, so that the 1959 389 V8 and the battery won't be so close to each other or touching.

Edited by pontiac1953 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, pontiac1953 said:

I received a nors battery tray today, plan to have the left inner fender modified to recess the tray, battery, holder and lid into the inner fender, so that the 1959 389 V8 and the battery won't be so close to each other or touching.

276289379_515982876543169_8825787563304525242_n.jpg

276151315_515982913209832_1068534674395593325_n.jpg

• Like 1

Tomorrow afternoon or evening I should have received from Inline tubes the new brake lines and fittings for my 1953 Custom Catalina along with the new fuel lines made for a 1955 Chieftain, with the 287 V8 getting removed next month, the front clip removed from the car, and the 1959 389 on the engine stand, that will be the perfect time to remove the old fuel tank and fuel lines, remove all the old brake lines and hoses, everything having been idled since 1989. will be a good time to give the front frame a new coat of black paint before installing the new front brake lines, i have nos flexible front brake hoses, might not use them and see the local napa store for brand new ones.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I received two new 50 cal. ammo boxes, I'm going to modify them to be a new, recessed battery shelf and tray, to be built into the left front inner fender panel, instead of the original location of sitting next to the inner fender panel, because I don't want the battery sitting so close to the left bank of the V8 engine.1781895795_newammoboxesforbatterytray.jpg.2cd5f212a9ca61e222e63e3bcacaa2e8.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pontiac1953 said:

1626922322151.jpg.b198d1b11661d9bd62e1dfbbcb4a2d03.jpg

here is the 1955 Pontiac 287 Strato Streak V8 installed into my 1953 Chieftain Custom Catalina, with the generator in its original position, it will hit the right front inner fender panel, I had thought of flipping the generator up 180 degrees to clear the inner fender, but then how to route the fan belt to the generator, I thought of using a dual idler pulley, I even bought a used one from a non GM car (really goes against my grain), but haven't mock it up yet, I wanted to find a frigidaire A5 a/c compressor that came with a dual pulley, like Oldsmobile, Buick, Cadillac, well tonight I won on ebay, a NOS A5 dual pulley, and will use it to run the fan belt to the re-position generator, I'm a Happy Camper.370325002_nosA5dualpulleyassembly.jpg.0ce6b8ef960cc88c4f4f811e4b5b71fc.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/11/2022 at 4:01 AM, pontiac1953 said:

here is the 1955 Pontiac 287 Strato Streak V8 installed into my 1953 Chieftain Custom Catalina, with the generator in its original position, it will hit the right front inner fender panel, I had thought of flipping the generator up 180 degrees to clear the inner fender, but then how to route the fan belt to the generator, I thought of using a dual idler pulley, I even bought a used one from a non GM car (really goes against my grain), but haven't mock it up yet, I wanted to find a frigidaire A5 a/c compressor that came with a dual pulley, like Oldsmobile, Buick, Cadillac, well tonight I won on ebay, a NOS A5 dual pulley, and will use it to run the fan belt to the re-position generator, I'm a Happy Camper.370325002_nosA5dualpulleyassembly.jpg.0ce6b8ef960cc88c4f4f811e4b5b71fc.jpg

the dual pulley came today

A5 compressor dual pulley.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

20220806_153756.jpg.223d7e8698ef3c201f86a505986bf28b.jpg20220806_153253.jpg.ead6151ed9c30085e1a4a8a9de0569c0.jpg20220806_153409.jpg.3bc239d2621efb92c120e15a52a71e77.jpggoing to compare the 1955 Pontiac 287 pulley set up to this 1959 Pontiac 389 dual pulley set up, to see which set up is best for the 1959 389 V8 with the A5 compressor, power steering pump, water pump, and harmonic balancer, with the 1953 Pontiac right inner fender close to the V8, the generator needs to be relocated up next to the A5 compressor to clear the inner fender, I'll likely change from generator to higher output alternator with all the accessories and the dual a/c set up.

• 1 month later...

got lucky the other day on feebay, seen and bought another NOS 1953-56 Pontiac neutral safety switch for my parts stash, couldn't afford to pass up the bargain, $29.00 mailed to me, the left one I already had with the older black & yellow GM box, the new one came in the tri colored delco box.1922870795_twonosneutralsafetyswitches.jpg.82faa30b06bf39e137c1b13ac1041a73.jpg

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My good friend Jim Vanderwerf visited me today, we made some progress on getting my 1959 389 engine disassembled so I can change some parts, this engine is a high compression two barrel version of the 389, I'm going to change the camshaft and lifters, check the bearing clearances, install a new oil pump, timing gear set, a 55-58 timing cover, new front and rear seal, new oil pan, very likely will send the cylinder heads and the block out to be hot tanked, this means new cam bearings, I will change the intake manifold and carburetor to the 1957 Pontiac four barrel setup, the 389's distributor didn't want to be removed, and the harmonic balancer bolt too.20221110_112348.jpg.e311f954854daccbc265b53d33f46737.jpg

• Like 2

The 389 is a good vintage  engine choice. I’m glad to see that you are keeping your car all Pontiac. Regarding your distributor I am thankful that you didn’t have the problem I had with an SBC, I broke the aluminum distributor off in the block and had to pull the oil pump and beat it out from the bottom.

9 hours ago, Rusty Heaps said:

The 389 is a good vintage  engine choice. I’m glad to see that you are keeping your car all Pontiac. Regarding your distributor I am thankful that you didn’t have the problem I had with an SBC, I broke the aluminum distributor off in the block and had to pull the oil pump and beat it out from the bottom.

I notice there was one position where the dizzy would twist a little easier, but I kept squiting PB blaster at it and would twist the dizzy back and forth, then using a very large open end wrench pivot on the bell housing, Jim and I would hit the other end of the large wrench with a heavy hammer, squirt, twist, hit the wrench, after about 5-10 minutes, the dizzy said OK, LOL. I have the 1955 Pontiac 287 dizzy set up with a Superior brand dual point conversion, and have a Mallory dual point conversion for a spare set up, the 287 dizzy is going to be installed in the 389.

While the 1957 Carter AFB and the 1959 Carter AFB are the same physical and internal size, the calibrations are quite different. Using the 1957 calibrations should work OK under normal cruise, but you are going to wash down the cylinders under power, and hide the rear of the car from traffic (maybe a getaway car??? ;)  or possibly a second job in mosquito control ;) ). Would highly suggest either looking for a 1959 (or 1960, or 1961) carburetor, or installing 1959 main metering jets, step up springs, and step-up rods in the 1957 carburetor.

Jon

Edited by carbking (see edit history)

On 11/11/2022 at 6:09 PM, carbking said:

While the 1957 Carter AFB and the 1959 Carter AFB are the same physical and internal size, the calibrations are quite different. Using the 1957 calibrations should work OK under normal cruise, but you are going to wash down the cylinders under power, and hide the rear of the car from traffic (maybe a getaway car??? ;)  or possibly a second job in mosquito control ;) ). Would highly suggest either looking for a 1959 (or 1960, or 1961) carburetor, or installing 1959 main metering jets, step up springs, and step-up rods in the 1957 carburetor.

Jon

I'm not using a Carter AFB, the 1957 four barrel intake manifold came with a rebuilt Rochester 4-jet carburetor.