new find-1929 Dodge 1/2 ton

wyobob

Not having ever seen this arrangement before, I guess the advantage is that you maintain the vacuum at all times whereas the earlier induction derived vacuum could fail on a long climb. Presumably, the system still had to be airtight which might have been the weakness which led to the electric pump being fitted. I am finding this all very interesting.

Ray.

Yes, I believe you are exactly right as to its function and purpose. It seems a little odd to me that they didn't hook up the windshield wiper also. Does anyone know if they used the the oil vac on any other engine? also what brand of vacuum tank would this of had-the parts books don't say which brand was used.

It was also manufactured with the thought in mind that if you ran out of oil pressure you would also run out of gas and so not damage the engine.

Guest DodgeKCL

Bob I'm not familiar with these early Plymouth/Dodge/Fargo trucks but I am with Plymouth cars. The alpha/numeric serial number was pressed into a plate called the 'FEDCO plate'. This was electrically welded to the middle of the dash on the upper panel cover. The plate was made of copper and was made of several sheets of very thin copper. This made it impossible to remove the plate,and put on another serial number, without destroying it. The system was provided by the FEDCO company and was used for 3 years that I know of. 1929 was one of them. As I say though I do not know if these car based trucks had the FEDCO anti theft system on them or not.

on my 1930 u133 dodge truck it has a stewart vacume tank.

I believe there is a strong possibility that the original tank may have been a Kingston. Kingstons were tossed in favor of the Stewarts on account of their being a Stewart service station on practically every street corner.

Kingstons were not as easily serviced.

If the pump states Oil-Vac and the there is evidently an Oil-Vac canister as George has shown that I would guess that they would belong together.

Will post the rest of the pics tomm evening.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

These show some of the differences between the dodge truck silver dome engine and the Plymouth car silver dome engine. notably the water pump placement. the car is mounted up high on the block where as the truck is off to the side.

Will see if I can find some pics of the Dodge truck engine and post them later

post-48869-143139230026_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143139230038_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143139230049_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Here's a quick update on the Merchants express. Overhauled the engine, distributor, carb, starter,generator, distributor drive,and water pump. Started it today on an engine stand, it sounds good. Got 5 new tires and rims 4 real nice wooden wheels from a hot rodder!

That's all I've been able to get done in the first year. Still need the water outlet for the cylinder head and a dipstick. The pot metal throw out bearing retainer broke and since they are impossible to find and no good anyway, I am having one machined from steel. Guess I will start on taking the body off and doing the wood this fall.

Here's a quick update on the Merchants express. Overhauled the engine, distributor, carb, starter,generator, distributor drive,and water pump. Started it today on an engine stand, it sounds good. Got 5 new tires and rims 4 real nice wooden wheels from a hot rodder!

That's all I've been able to get done in the first year. Still need the water outlet for the cylinder head and a dipstick. The pot metal throw out bearing retainer broke and since they are impossible to find and no good anyway, I am having one machined from steel. Guess I will start on taking the body off and doing the wood this fall.

Hello stranger... Glad Rueben could help with those wood wheels, can't wait to see how they shine when you get to that point.

This is the first time I have seen this thread for some reason but I had to laugh at one of your comments on the first page where you said "easy to hide stuff in Wyoming".

I will keep my eye out for water outlet and dipstick. Thanks for posting pics and please keep us up to date as you go along. Very cool truck !

Looks great Bob, what did you end up having to do with the engine and if machining had to be done who did it?

I was really lucky with the engine ,the bearings and crank were good. I ground the valves and replaced the rings.

The worst and most expensive was the carb, most of the components had to be made, dist was shot but I found a replacement &

built a new driveshaft for it. The generator was a wreck also, it is being rebuilt by a local guy I use. the starter just needed rebuilt

I am also pleased to see you making progress. Have you had any luck finding an 'oil-vac'? Pretty scarce, I should imagine.

Ray.

No, I haven't found one. In fact I would guess that they are virtually impossibe to find. I can run an electric fuel pump in the meantime.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the steering wheel on this pickup was natural wood or was it painted? I fixed mine so that I can roll the chassis around and it looks like it was painted on the underside at least. The photos I have seen don't show the steering wheel very well.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest danceswithpumps

Wyobob,

Nice score! Glad to see you're making some progress with your truck. I was looking at your pic of the spoke wheel. Are they 19 inch tires? Hard to tell , but the hub caps look like my 30 DA Dodge caps and wheels. Mine have DB on them and made for 19 inch tires. Did you ever find vin #?

My steering wheel wheel is not wood rather the old bakelite/resin type. I imagine someone will chime in and let me know the right term for it.

Keep us posted. Pics are great!

Rod

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Found the serial number! Had all the wheels off to do the brakes and cleaned the passenger side frame behind the rear mount for the front spring and there it was. P3664, engine is UT 3831. Does anyone know the build date?

The attached table list your frame number P3664 built between March 29 and June 31.

How is the body work coming? Is the cab all metal?

I have all my sheet metal and wood for my 1929 DB 3/4 ton model 805 cab assembled. Will be prepping for paint soon.

Did you ever get a build card from Chrysler Museum for Merchant truck?

post-71470-143142308657_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info. The body work is the last thing on the list, I wanted to be sure I could find all the parts (had to have some made) and get it running and stopping first I winter in AZ so it will have to wait until next spring to start on the wood. The top and wood are almost identical to yours. There are companies that sell wood kits for the pick up box floor which I will probably try. Haven't sent for the build sheet yet.

I thought it was interesting that there were so many different places the serial numbers are located. Lots of people sent me info on where they found numbers but mine on the right side in front of the rear mount for the front spring was different than any others I heard from.

• 3 weeks later...