1982-1985 Riviera Convertible Production and Information

Guest BJM

I was looking at some 1982-85 Riviera convertibles on Craigs List and ebay. Anybody have production on these, espeically 1982 and 1985? Are these collectible for the low production or because they are convertibles, primarily? Does anybody restore them or do members who own them generally just maintain the available nice ones out there and not get involved in the restoration projects?

Riviera Owners Association - Production Numbers

Some (few) do restore totally but to a much lesser degree than say a 60s or early 70s Riv. Nice examples are fairly easy to find for reasonable money so there isn't much incentive to restore unless it has sentimental value. I continue to be amazed at the value these convertibles still offer.

I agree these fall into the "Buy the Best One You Can" category. You see quite a few that have issues but still run and drive and I think the owners are just burned out on trying to keep them up. They are for all intents and purposes, a 30 year old car now, give or take.

Back in the 80s, I was told by a mechanic at a Cadillac dealership that the 84 and 85 Cadillac Eldorado (and Riviera) convertibles were FACTORY BUILT convertibles as opposed to the 82 and 83 models which were FACTORY APPROVED chop top conversions by American Sunroof Company (ASC). Any confirmation on this?

I had one a couple of years ago and can tell you from experience that you need to make sure that the one you purchase is 100% complete. Little things like the swivel cover for the shoulder belt may be missing. They do not exist in the reproduction world. The panel on the arm rest is a special item (four operating windows rather than two) for the Riviera convertible only. If the one you're looking at is cracked, broken, or missing, you're going to have to live with it. Things like top seals are not reproduced. Anything that ASC (they did build all of them for the entire run) had to make or have made especially for the convertible is not being reproduced. Other things that were common to all Rivieras from the era are not that hard to find.

Ed

Guest merrillcrosbie

I am the original owner of an 83 Riv Convertible. I love this car and have maintained it as best I can, and it is still like new in most respects, but I am truly concerned about parts to keep it working. It isn't just the convertible unique parts, but the electronics in these cars that are hard to find replacement parts for. I searched for months for a relay for my load leveling shocks and when I finally found this $6 part, it cost me well over $100. This part isn't unique to convertibles. Getting convertible unique parts is just impossible...although I have found some substitution parts that work well, like the Chrysler window rack will work to replace the rear window flex rack that breaks quite regularly in the Riv convertibles. And, aftermarket tops can be found. But a convertible unique trim piece is a mythical creature. I wrote to ASC a few years ago for help in finding convertible parts, and the people that did the original design work and installations have all retired, died or moved on. They sent me some diagrams of the rear window design they found in their archives, but they said there was no one there anymore that could help me find any parts. They congratulated me on owning a great car and that they couldn't be of further service for replacement parts. I will keep my car maintained as long as I can, but I wouldn't consider an incomplete convertible as a restoration project.

Riv convertibles haven't really held their value very well in my opinion. For a car that is often called an instant collectors car, most can be had for a fraction of it's original price. I have other (non-Riv) cars that I have sold for 10 times the original purchase price that were not as rare. These Riv's are really under appreciated.

I've been told that some of the uniqe parts are actually parts from other GM cars. One thing I remember for certain being said is that the clamps for holding the top down are the same as were used on the Pontiac Sunfire convertible I never needed one, so I never checked it out.

Would there be anyone at GM, not ASC, who might have info on the car's design. I would imagine that GM designed it and just had ASC do the conversion using the GM specs.

Guest merrillcrosbie

Actually, I disagree. The Riv was GMs first attempt back in convertibles after a long hiatus, while ASC was doing custom conversions the whole time. I would think GM would defer to ASC for design, just as they did for the conversions.

You have to remember these cars (1982) are just now at their 30 year mark! The later models are still in their 20's. I will also say that in my experience owning, researching and evaluating these cars; when things go wrong with these generations people are lazy and just unplug it or do without. Squeeky wheel gets the grease! No one is repairing anything other than what you can still buy for any large car of that same era from Autozone. If you like the car and body style go with it. Soon there will be reproduction parts for these cars. You just have to give it time. Don't forget they share A LOT of parts and cross over with 79-85 Eldorado and Toronado. Opinions are like ___ everyone has one and they all usually smell funny!

BMJ sounds like you really want one, you've been talking about them for a year now on and off. Go get you one and join the rest of us! We also have a very nice 79-85 e-body discussion group on facebook that's very productive for these generations.

Edited by sosuzguy (see edit history)

I can see your way of thinking, but the Cadillac Eldorado and Oldsmobile Tornado werre made into convertibles by ASC starting in 1982 as well. GM was making Cadillac convertibles up through 1981 using Hess and Einhart to do the conversions. I'd venture to guess that lots of the same "unique to the convertible parts" are common on all three makes and some of the ideas carried over from Hess and Einhart. Rather that have to tool up completely new parts, such as the top latch I mentioned, don't you think the designers at GM would have told ASC what they had that could be used and ASC would need to make them work? It would sure save a lot of R&D and tooling costs. My thinking is that the design for the convertible surely came from the GM design studio and ASC had to make it work. Are you thinking that ASC approached GM with the design and all of the tooling? Just curious.

For clarification, I am an ROA and BCA member. I have a presently 6 car collection BUT no convertible and IMO everyone should have a full sized convertible in their collection/lifetime. There is nothing like the feeling of going down the road in a convertible, during the fall season or even in the dark with a pending thunderstorm with lightning off in the distance. Waxing romantic, I digress.

I've seen enough comments above to scare me off though. Not saying I won't get one but now I am going to look closer. The one is bad shape, IMO, won't get restored. I guess I would look for one that needs some body work, maybe some drivetrain work - no rust - but has a decent interior.

I am also NOT a fan of the color choices for the convertibles. I believe you got a choice in all years or red or white, neither of which I care for. Give me the dark midnight blue, or sandstone with buckskin leather interior and tan clothe top. Just my opinion so then the issue is, it's a customized car essentially. I know the ROA and BCA are more accepting these days of modifieds but there weren't that many convertibles in the 82-85 period even made and so the 1st thing you are going to hear is "Buick never authorized that color for the Riviera convertibles!".

Thanks for all the comments above, some eye opening comments.

1983 Buick Riviera Convertible Went into check on the one I spotted which started my inquiry and found this one. Is this an ROA member?

Then here is the one I was looking at:

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/3192588623.html

Notice the fellow wanting $15,000 for his includes minimal information and no photos and the guy selling the project has a lot more info and about 7 photos. I hate that, I mean would you even inquire without seeing what the car looks like?

Edited by BJM (see edit history)

Look closely at the project car in Kansas City Kansas. It appears to me that the entire interior, at least the front seats and door panels have been replaced with items from a coupe. I'm under the impression that ALL convertibles had leather seats, vinyl door panels, and vinyl sun visors. It's kind of difficult to tell from these pictures but I don't think I'm seeing things.

Guest merrillcrosbie

On the 1982, be aware that this was the first year and these cars did not come with the frame bracing that was standard on subsequent years. The body would often sag and the doors would no longer open, or if you got them open they would no longer close. Buick would retrofit these braces onto the frame for owners that complained, but it was not an official recall, so not all cars got the bracing. You would hit a bump and the car would sag. Look at the body side molding on that car...it is sagging from the door to the rear fender. Also, this car needs bumper fillers, and while you can buy aftermarket bumper fillers, they are not made of the same material as the originals, and they have additional seams in them that original fillers don't have. And, the wheel covers are not original. This is in addition to the items RivNut noticed, which I agree with. Oh, and the windows are not rolled down. On a roof that is operating properly all the windows automatically retract when you put the roof down. I don't know why he would roll them back up unless one or more is broken and won't retract, so he was trying to hide that. It is very common for the flex rack on those rear quarter windows to disintegrate and the windows will no longer retract. It is difficult and costly to repair those, but it is possible. I just repaired mine for the 2nd time this year. The boot is missing too. Another one could be made by a competent upholstery company, but if the original was still available you would think he would put it on for the picture. The original would be important as a pattern for a new one, so make sure you get one from any seller, even if it is tattered.

On the 1983, the roof has been replaced because they did not make them in red. So there are likely other issues with the car...which you shouldn't have when asking $15K. I have seen reasonable examples for less than $10K. I feel like mine is pretty pristine and original and I doubt I could get $10K for it. If you can find a good 84-85 turbo, it might be worth that kind of money, but there are too many for sale for less to justify that price. And, it breaks my heart to admit that....

Merrill

Thanks so much for your insight. I have noticed you only have 12 posts. Don't be a stranger with information like that! I will likely print this off and keep it hnady since posts sometimes drop down quite aways. I think I will focus on 84-85 so I'll have to go back and check production on the 84's because 85's have to be rare. I have to seperate myself from the pack if I buy one and paint it and finish it my desired color. So I am looking more for that $2500-$3500 car that has been maintained and can be restored. I am a restorer, a former mechanic with lots of tools and my time on cars included the "electronic" age so the 80's and 90's don't worry me. Heck I would rather restore a "modern" car then a 1925 Buick.

With all the things you pointed out to me on the 82 above, I was trying to formulate an offer on that car, and frankly, $500-$1000 is all I can muster and I am pretty sure the seller would hang up on me. But face it, it certainly would need a complete teardown and redo and you and Ed pointed out so many issues, I will pass.

There has been one on ebay for a llooonngg time that I offered on at one time with a reject. It's a rough looking car. I will have to see if I can locate it. The seller is out of TEXAS, a business, and he runs the auction as a Buy It Now in continuous loop until someone bites.

I feel like mine is pretty pristine and original and I doubt I could get $10K for it. If you can find a good 84-85 turbo, it might be worth that kind of money, but there are too many for sale for less to justify that price. And, it breaks my heart to admit that....

As long as you enjoy the car I would not focus on resale so much.

Guest merrillcrosbie

The production numbers are:

1982 - 1248

1983 - 1750

1984 - 500

1985 - 400

So a total of 3898 total convertibles. There is a registry for Riv Convertibles at New Page 1. You can research any car you are looking at to see if it is registered. There are several that have been verified to have been crushed or destroyed. And, there are a couple showing as available for sale..including turbos.

One other item that affects the number of convertibles left...in about 1988 I was contacted by a Buick dealership in Kuwait. They were looking for Riviera convertibles to export to Kuwait because they were in big demand there and no longer available from Buick, and the country was rich so they commanded big profits. I declined to sell my car, but I have often wondered how successful they were and how many cars ended up in Kuwait...and then in 1991 how many of these Riviera's were destroyed or ended up in Iraq after Kuwait was invaded and pillaged. It was an odd phone call and I don't know how they got my name. But, it sounded like they could only find original owners. If the Riv's had been sold they couldn't find subsequent owners, but they did pump me for names of anyone else that owned a Riv convertible. This was before the ROA existed and I didn't know anyone else that had a convertible.

This car I bought new, so it has never been restored...just immaculately maintained. I also have a 91 GMC Syclone that I bought new and is equally as rare. It is 2331 of 2995 produced.

But, I have also done the restoration route. My original car was a 1972 Plymouth Roadrunner, so during my midlife crisis I bought another one and restored it. I also bought a 1965 Pontiac Bonneville convertible and restored it (love those fender skirts!) So, searching for parts for those cars is what has me nervous about finding parts for the Riv. That and the trouble I have already had finding parts for the Riv. There aren't even any coupes left in junk yards anymore, and the few resources I had over the years for NOS parts have dried up.

But my Roadrunner and Bonneville were both $3K when new, and I sold them for $31K and $28K respectively, and that was during the height of the recession. Neither of these cars were considered to be 'instant classics' or had limited production. The Riv will never be worth anywhere near those numbers, and it was a much more expensive car initially. Although I bought it new for $15K and the sticker was over $26K, but the 1984 models had come out and my car had sat on the show room floor for over a year. The dealer was very motivated, and he was tired of cleaning my nose print off of his showroom window. The Riv convertibles didn't sell well at all, and their resale values really reflect it.

I have always hoped the car would appreciate in value, but no I will never sell my Riv. I only concern myself with resale value when talking with others that are considering a Riv convertible. You really have to blindly love the car because otherwise there are better investments. But as long as you know that going in, getting a great deal on a car that at least runs well is very possible. If you aren't OCD about every little thing working as original, you can certainly have a reasonably priced car to take your midnight drives, and nothing drives better than a Riv.

No, I don't post much. I don't much like the internet. It seems like most every innocuous posting somehow turns into an argument, so I only get on when I am researching something. Recently, I have been researching power seat switches....

Good luck with your search. That part can be as much fun as ownership.

Edited by merrillcrosbie (see edit history)

For the '84 and '85 convertibles, Buick also added a headliner to the underside of the convertible top. Somewhere along the line I read or was told this was an "upgrade" insisted upon by Cadillac with the introduction of the Eldorado convertible in '84. This helps to reduce road noise inside the car with the top up. When looking for a nice example to add to your collection, this can be a desirable difference between the first two and last two model years.

It is getting much harder to find well cared for Riviera convertibles for sale - especially by their original owners. I agree with Merrill, the prices for these cars are not what they should be, which means perhaps this is the time to try to acquire one. Most examples for sale have had or need a repaint, have or need a new top, or have issues with the bumper fillers. Finding one with low miles, original paint, original top, original (non-broken) bumper fillers, and ideally being sold by the original owner is nearly impossible but is the way to go if you can find one...

If you do find an 84 or 85 with the headliner, make sure that 1) there is a snap on boot included in the deal, or 2) that you get one soon. With the top down, the front 12 - 15" is exposed to the sun and will fade that part of the headliner quickly if not covered.

Ed

The production numbers are:

1982 - 1248

1983 - 1750

1984 - 500

1985 - 400

So a total of 3898 total convertibles.

This - to me - implies that the Riviera convertible was always a sales dog. There was as I remember (I am 48 and was 18 in 1982) a cry for convertibles to return to the American car after the last ones left in 1975-76. So the Riviera was a natural platform. By 1982, that generation of Riviera was around for 4 years and sales numbers were always outstanding but maybe Buick thought they needed a new halo car?

Now, they pop with 1248, which is decent considering the overall total. But I think there was some disatisfaction as Merrill aluded to - the 82's lacked rigidity and that information probably ended up in "buff" magazines like Motor Trend and Car and Driver. 1983 production lagged this perception and was still strong but then the word must have gotten back to Buick by the dealership councils that convertible sales were bad and so it appears to me from the "fixed" production totals of 1984 and 1985 that Buick realized this and was either completing a contract with ASC or just knew they were going to end the generation of Riviera in 1985 and so left the convertible as more of an option on the order sheet.

It would be interesting to see how many of the 84-85's were ordered by customers. There had to be some commitment to ASC to make the work profitable to them. Interesting.

One deterent had to be the MSRP on the convertible. Remember, it was built as a coupe for whatever cost it took to build a coupe. Then it was converted.

Here's something I copied and pasted from the Riviera Convertible website.

Consider this, a brand new 1982 Buick Riviera hardtop, a best seller for Buick, cost $14,898.45 base price with freight. Not a cheap car by any standard. The 1982 Buick Riviera Convertible, a new untested car for Buick, cost $24,494.25 base price with freight. Add some options and this car could top out at over $27,500.00.

From close to $15K to 27.5K is an 83% increase over the base price. You'd have to want the wind in your hair awfully bad to fork over that addtional 12.5K.

This generation Riviea was by far the most popular of all Rivieras produced. In the waning years of production for this generation, over 57,800 units were produced in '84 and over 65,300 units were produced in '85. Buick was doingn something right and it showed. To show you how much the public didn't like the 86 and newer cars, only 22, 138 Rivieras were sold in '86, then production dropped to around 15,000 units in 87.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Guest merrillcrosbie

Remember that the Cadillac Eldorado convertible wasn't competing with the Riv in 1982 or 1983. So if ASC had a capacity limitation that probably also played into the reduced number of Riv convertibles in 1984 and 1985 because they had to build the Eldo convertible those years too.

And, buyers that could afford a Riv convertible would probably go for the Cadillac in those years because it wasn't much more money and it was a Cadillac instead of a lowly Buick.

But, I really think that the reason they didn't sell well was the price. Nearly $10K more than a coupe. Convertibles today don't command that kind of premium over their buttoned up sisters.

I don't know how many convertibles were ordered, but I do know I got my deal because Buick was forcing my dealer to take another convertible, and the one they had (mine) wasn't moving. Mine is a 6 cylinder which back then wasn't desired, especially on such a pricey car. I have grown to really like my 4.1 engine. It is only 15 hp shy of the V8 and this Buick built engine has proven to be more dependable than the Olds V8 according to Consumer Reports of that era. It has been absolutely bulletproof for me.

Ed and Merrill have hit the nail on the head. Everyone wanted these converts back in the day but the price was in the stratosphere. I never considered the comparison to the Eldo but I distinctly remember the last converts in this gen stickering for over 30K. That was big money at that time,

Tom Mooney

• 2 weeks later...
I was looking at some 1982-85 Riviera convertibles on Craigs List and ebay. Anybody have production on these, espeically 1982 and 1985? Are these collectible for the low production or because they are convertibles, primarily? Does anybody restore them or do members who own them generally just maintain the available nice ones out there and not get involved in the restoration projects?

Please check out this site-

New Page 1

Thanks for that link. Nothing I like more than a car with the top loped off. Somewhere in Pennsylvania there is a red '62 Electra 225 6 window 4 door convert that I did about 20 years ago. I am pretty sure it is a parts car. It was stunning when first converted.

As to the Caddies, here is the one I wish I had kept:

a0004.JPG

For cost, this kid was $30,000+ in 1986:

010s.jpg

The worst problem with color is that people think my Park Ave is a Mercedes!

I think the Park ave uses a lot of left over Riviera components.

Notice the H&E Eldo kept its quarter panel line. I like that style better than the factory ones. And the quarter panel line of the PA is really reshaped. I like that a lot.

112611k.jpg

I am always looking for information on Car Craft Company.

Bernie

Guest smittykid

If the 82 Riv convertibles didn't come with the frame bracing-it sounds to me like that year should be avoided. Seems to be that if an 82 convert. is sagging now-it will be soon. Any thought on this? Smitty

Please check out this site-

New Page 1

A huge thanks. That website is awesome and clearly done by someone with passion for the 82-85 Riviera convertibles. In fact, although we live in the digital age, that guy should write a book and include the photos (or photo stills) from the ASC plant manufacture of the convertibles.

I am at work, but will add it to my favorites when I get home on my personal laptop.

I still want to do a Riviera convertible in an alternate color of my choice. I am going to see if Ray will do a wanted ad for the next Riview for me. It would be tough for me to justify doing a basically custom restoration on the limited production 84-85's but those seem like the best years.

If the 82 Riv convertibles didn't come with the frame bracing-it sounds to me like that year should be avoided. Seems to be that if an 82 convert. is sagging now-it will be soon. Any thought on this? Smitty

If it is a well maintained 82, and you have it, I would brace it now even though in a judging that might cost a point or two. But if you did some bracing now, I think you would be fine.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

My father has in 1985. The rear convertible quite burgundy interior needs repair wanted to know about how many more made I was told is under thousand working on it right now to get it running please send me any information you know but the numbers are available was that value might be for car