Have you driven your classic today?

Dave@Moon

Took the '13 to Cars and Croissants at a local Porsche/Bentley/Rolls-Royce dealership. Lots of modern supercars enjoying a beautiful day after the protracted post-Sandy blackout. Temperature 31 when I left the house - needed lotsa layers in an open Model T runabout. About 45 miles round trip.

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

St. Bernard Chapter of Louisiana Region AACA had our last Cruise Night of the year on Saturday, Nov. 17, 2012.

Our 1941 Cadillac Cabriolet was selected by the owners of Brewster's Restaurant & Lounge, which sponsors the monthly event, as the Member's Car-of-the-Month.

Naturally we kept the top down the whole time. We drove from Metairie to Luling, back to Metairie, down to Chalmette for the Cruise Night at Brewster's, and then home after 9:00 PM, when it got fairly cool out (at least for this part of the country) - down into the low 60s, and then to the high 50s, but by then we were in the garage.

They also recognize a Non-Member car each month.

This seems to be a great way to attract members to our club, and the 50s - 60s music our DJ/Chapter President plays is always a big plus....we even had members dancing on the parking lot.

When was the last time you saw a "Stroll", or a "Cha-Cha", which our incoming President "Kowboy" Regan taught with excellence!

post-54863-143139263551_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143139263553_thumb.jpg

Edited by Marty Roth
spelling (see edit history)

Guest 4 bufords

took my 62 invicta vert for coffee this morning,met the other car guys,saw a 69 skylark.yesterday our buick club toured a restoration shop,was 5-6 buicks there including mine 4 bufords from ct

WIth the nice week we had I got a few more drives in the F1 this week. Ran it almost empty today and dumped in some ethanol free, stabilized gas and drove it another 5 miles, backed it into it's Winter spot and covered it up for a long Winters sleep.

Every things tucked away now, just need to do a little more cleaning in the shop so I can get to my Winter projects and then let it snow.

I was feeling blue about the broken down 48 Plymouth, with the weather being so beautiful, I jumped in the 36 Chrysler and took it for a spin. It fired up first crank (I did give it a slight prime just to avoid messing around since it hasn't been driven in a couple of weeks. I think it wanted to stretch it's legs. Just a quick 8 mile jaunt. Infact when I was pulling back on my street I was trying to think of some other place to go for a ride but I was good. Put it back in the garage and went back to work.

Had a friend come over yesterday morning to be a second car driver and we drove my 63 Mini and 48 Anglia to our car club's breakfast, then convoyed to a benefit show for the "Arc of Kona" group. We went on a back road and I had to use 1st gear a lot of the way to get up the hills in the Anglia, ha ! Needless to say, I was the last one to pull in the show out of our group. I told everyone that the 25 mph speed limit signs up the hills insulted me- - - I couldn't get up to 25 mph !!! Ha !! Later in the evening, I drove the Mini to a cruise-in that benefits the Hawaii Food Bank. Lots of fun, good causes, good friends, and LOTS of questions as always about the little cars. At the "Arc" show we had more adults want to sit in the right-hand drive Anglia than kids that wanted to sit in the Mini. Love these cars and times !!! John

I don't know if everyone will consider it a classic but "Big Lucy" has been out 90% of the time this past summer, the last two days I had to scrape the frost off the windows with my 2 inch wide 1948 ice scraper. But I would rather drive this than listen to all the chimes, solenoids, and other nonsense the late model Jeep makespost-39071-143139264546_thumb.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving,

Jay

Took the valve spring out of a 40's chrysler Marine engine here in town, It took less than a 1/2 hour to get it out. Put it in the Plymouth and Adjusted everything, put the inner fender and wheel on. Fired it up, now I'm back on the road. I scored a bunch of NOS dash chrome at Hershey and a good dash "plymouth" insert so that all went in yesterday as well. Then I took it for a spin. :)

The Buick is my daily driver for the next 4.5 months while an expat friend in from Romania drives my newer car. Today was a golf day - enjoyed the weather in the low 60's to mid 70's, just right for no A/C. Drove it about 70 miles round trip to an AACA meeting on Sunday, and will take it to see family for Thanksgiving on Thursday, which will total about 50 miles. Unless there is rain in the forecast I can avoid taking the wife's ride.

I don't know if everyone will consider it a classic but "Big Lucy" has been out 90% of the time this past summer, the last two days I had to scrape the frost off the windows with my 2 inch wide 1948 ice scraper. But I would rather drive this than listen to all the chimes, solenoids, and other noBignsense the late model Jeep makes[ATTACH=CONFIG]163929[/ATTACH]

Happy Thanksgiving,

Jay

Big Lucy! I like that. Nice ride.

Ben

Big Lucy! I like that. Nice ride.

Ben

Ben when i first started working on the car I found out my Son and Wife were expecting a baby girl and her name was going to be Lucy so I named the 48 Big Lucy but "Little Lucy" came out with the wrong parts and HE is Donovan. Now the 50 Newport's name is Duke, I spend too much time alone in the shop with the cars. When fixing up the 50 Newport I decided that in 1950 a private eye named Duke Newport bought the car and used it while sleuthing. Too much time alone:)!post-39071-14313926901_thumb.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving and I think I need to get a Buick because I would love to drive my Buick with my baby by my side,

Jay

Branford (CT) Holiday Festival Parade last night--here's a low-light photo from once the old cars contingent (something like 15 antique cars participated this year--unbelievable!) got to the town green. Great time!

That dune buggy parked in front of us was "WFO" (that stands for, ah, "Wide Open," folks, heh) for the entire night, and I'm sure no heat as well. As for me, I put the top up and the heat on for the ride home!

post-34222-143139273203_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I had heard about the "Christmas Caddy" toy drive that was going to be happening at the Town Green in Branford, CT, on Sunday, December 9th, with a a bit of an "antique auto theme," since the focal point was to be a big red '65 Caddy Convertible.

Of course I had to drive an old car too, and so the '70 Bug was a perfect choice on a cloudy yet dry and mild day. The Christmas Caddy was parked right in front of Branford Town Hall, and I was able to grab a couple of quick photos there also. Had some fun and supported a great cause in town.

More info: The 2nd Annual Christmas Caddy | Branford School Events, Graduation, Benefit, and Holiday Guide Events on Patch - Branford, CT Patch

post-34222-143139291185_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143139291196_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143139291209_thumb.jpg

</SPAN></SPAN>

Edited by stock_steve
added a space between each photo (see edit history)

Yesterday was the year's last Cars and Croissants meet. This is an informal bi-weekly gathering of mostly upscale exotic modern iron - Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Maseratis, Vettes, Benzes, Beemers - but any interesting car is welcome. I had hoped to take my newly-restored but not-yet-fully-fettled 1912 Buick, but it wouldn't start. So I took my single-cylinder 1907 Cadillac, that hadn't been out - or cleaned! - since the Lansing-Dearborn run. It was a glorious 26-degree morning, ponds iced over, frozen dew on the grass. Lacking a windshield to cower behind, I put on my snowmobile suit and sallied forth the 9 miles to the event over beautiful back roads. And was glad I had done so, since there was an impromptu electric car demonstration. There were two Tesla roadsters, a Chevy Volt, an all-electric Beemer (experimental from a few years ago) and an electric motorcycle. And these weren't trailer queens, they were in regular use. The owners were quite frank about what the vehicles would and wouldn't do, but what they would do was quite impressive. Between the time I spent learning about electric cars and the time I spent teaching about early brass cars, I barely had time to admire the two Porsche 356es that were driven by the sons of the original owners, or the Sting Ray convertible, or the VW bus with flowers painted on it, or the well-restored '62 Beetle, or the magnificent hand-crafted roadster built on Maserati running gear, or - - - . I ignored the Ferrari Enzo. By 10:30 am, when I wound up the rubber band for the ride home, the temperature was up to 39 and it was downright toasty. A good morning!

I took the 48 Plymouth ragtop out yesterday for a drive. 12/15 That's near a record for this part of the country. I had to go to the hardware store and the sun was out. We are in a little spot of the Adirondack park that had no snow or salt. The hardware is 3/4 of a mile from my shop one way or 7 miles the other. Well I of course drove it 14 miles instead. That was probably the last chance to drive it this year as today we have snow and worse yet salt.

I think I broke another valve spring yesterday so it's time to replace them all with new ones over the winter. I'll do the water pump while I'm in there to as it's been seeping all along.

Now the winter blues can set in, Especially when my new toy arrives, Probably next week, That I have to wait until Spring to drive. :(

Thought I would try a more basic solution to my non charging situation on my 37. After cleaning and tightening all the loose connections and redoing the incorrectly placed ones on the new wiring harness (as installed by the "restoration shop"). Then cleaning and checking

the regulator. Same problem. My next step was to remove the generator and have the place that rebuilt it 20 years ago recheck.(It was just installed for the first time in Aug.) Before I fought to take it off again I checked the fan belt. I could move the generator pulley easily and the bracket adjustment was at its limit. I had included an older NOS belt to be installed when the other work was done. They put the old cracked, stretched and glased one that was on the car when I drove it home in 1987. I went to "Central Tractor" and bought a new belt and installed. It is now showing charge more uniformly. Since Sept I was afraid to try to drive it out of the garage after the break-down when it was first delivered home to me from the "restoration shop". So I got brave and took it out yesterday and did drive about 5 miles with no problem. The carb will still need attention. After I brought the 37 home I took "Beulah" (our 1925) out for some exercize also. (Still dealing with sticking clutch and oil leaking on to fan belt.) Today I thought we would drive the 37 to church then to grocery store which we did. On the way home it quit at the intersection near our home. I did get it restarted but there are still fuel issues. It sat for about an hour in front of the house. It started ok but when I turned it into the drive it started bucking and quit. I pumped the accelerator pump at the carb to get it restarted and it ran ok afterward to be able to back into garage. After warming up the ammeter is still hovering close to 0. But at least this time there was not a dead battery after 4 miles of driving.

Larry

post-79073-143139298312_thumb.jpg

post-79073-143139298305_thumb.jpg

Drove my '70 Bug to work this morning in the pouring rain. Happy to say it ran great and didn't skip a beat.

After hearing the weather forecast for some clearing and mild temps later today, and the lack of any freezing overnight last night (plus the salt-washing-away effects of the rainy day yesterday), I thought it was a reasonable decision, and it was nice to have a drive in the old car again.

If possible, I may try for a photo-op or two later today on the way home.

On an unrelated note: God Bless the Newtown Families.

Tuesday afternoon, December 18th, 2012: Rolling home on Interstate 95 eastbound (technically northbound), with some nice afternoon sun at my back, on an unusually mild day in Southern Connecticut for mid-December. Driving my '70 Bug Convertible...top's not down, but the window's open...

Looks like I'm right near the West Haven Saw Mill Road exit, with some of the Saw Mill Road business right by the southbound exit ramp visible to the left...

post-34222-143139301029_thumb.jpg

A little further along, this looks like somewhere around Long Wharf in New Haven, trying to keep out of the way of the big trucks...

post-34222-143139301052_thumb.jpg

Edited by stock_steve (see edit history)

Sign posted outside a local business that I drove by on my way home, this past Wednesday evening (photo had to be enhanced a bit due to low lighting conditions):

post-34222-143139303313_thumb.jpg

It's just about one week exactly since the Newtown tragedy as this is being written, and a moment of silence and tolling of the bells 26 times has just been observed.

Edited by stock_steve
additional clarification (see edit history)

Guest Nancy DeWitt

It was a balmy 10° F in Fairbanks today (trust me, that's positively tropical after our brutal stretch of -40 temps a few weeks ago), so we took the museum's freshly repaired 1922 Wills Sainte Claire sedan out for a drive.

post-58418-143139323774_thumb.jpg

post-58418-143139323737_thumb.jpg

Nancy - funny you should mention the temps in Fairbanks. We just got a belated Christmas card from my wife's cousin in Fairbanks and she mentioned being able to get outside and do things now that the winter solstice had passed and temps had warmed up 40° to a high of 0° !

• 2 weeks later...

Got to 55 degrees out yesterday in Central CT, and the roads were pretty good - main ones not bad at all despite some snow melt. Put about 40 miles or so on the SL; including a bit on the highway. It was perfect after about a 6 week period of sitting. Must have been "give your German car some air" day in CT. I saw three other collector cars on this run, a red late 60s VW fastback that looked like it just pulled out of the paint shop, another "107" chassis SL - white, a nice car - he looked pretty surprised to see us - and a "111" chassis 220 se coupe in tobaco brown that was just stunning.

All in all a fun hour or so on the road - not sure when the next opportunity will be due to this being a more active winter than last year, but that is New England for you - makes us appreciate Spring more!

Like Steve Mack, we were able to get in a bit of driving with our '70 Bug yesterday in the South-Central part of Connecticut.

My daughter, who has had her drivers license now for about 3 or 4 months, has been asking to learn stick shift. Yesterday was our first opportunity to get out to the local intermediate school parking lot for some initial practice. I drove there, and we passed a very cool '60s Alfa coupe on our way & exchanged thumbs up.

At the school I did several laps of the parking lot riding shotgun, giving Sarah instructions and suggestions about how to make her take-offs and shifts smoother, and then it was time for her to do several solo laps. Toward the end of the session, she was doing quite well. Weather permitting, we'll try it again next weekend...

Here's one photo showing Sarah inducing some body lean on a right-hander:

post-34222-143141716634_thumb.jpg

Way to go Sarah! Baby steps, Steve, baby steps! :)

Wet and sloppy out there today, thanks to the light snow we got overnight last night, so I guess Sarah's going to have to wait for her next manual transmission lesson (I don't want to take my Bug out on the road since our town LOVES to spread the salt).

I did take Doug the '60 Bug out just a little while ago for a very small drive on a private driveway that doesn't get salted, and took a couple of shots in the low-angle bright afternoon sunlight:

post-34222-143141724801_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143141724816_thumb.jpg

The local Cars and Croissants group was having withdrawal symptoms, so it held a small gathering this morning on 1-1/2 days' notice. It's mostly modern exotics, but anything interesting is welcome. I drove the 1907 single-cylinder Cadillac, fortunately only 6 miles each way, and attracted a fair bit of attention. Most of the guys had seen my car before, but it has no top or windshield. The temperature was 12 when I set out and 23 when I got home. Love that snowmobile suit!

I drove my '70 Bug down to the village post office yesterday morning and had the good fortune to get behind this spectacular-looking '60s Ford Pickup on my way home, along CT coastal route 146...

(will effort adding a picture next chance I get, since the computer doesn't seem happy with that concept right this minute...)

EDIT: Here's the picture, shot from behind the wheel of the Bug, as we headed eastbound along Rt. 146. We are at the eastern end of Branford, not far from the Guilford border. A very cool truck sighting!

post-34222-14314173768_thumb.jpg

Edited by stock_steve
To try again to add a photo... (see edit history)