Have you driven your classic today?

Dave@Moon

Just returned from Hershey and put more than 970 miles on the 1941 Cadillac. Took the scenic routes off the highways whenever possible and it was totally worth it. Rain last night on the last leg home, but otherwise a great drive. And the '41 Cadillac with Hydra-Matic is unquestionably an excellent choice in collector cars if you want to just drive. Automatic transmission, strong brakes, great headlights, truly a no-compromises old car. When needed, it hammers along the interstate at 65 MPH without complaint, blasted over the mountains without slowing down, and never got hot even on some of those long climbs. Never once did I question its reliability, even when we woke up with frost on the car. Just hit the button and it's running.

You guys just don't understand what a very big deal this is for me. Growing up, getting stranded on every local drive (never mind a 1000-mile road trip) was expected and happened all the time. Having old cars that don't break down is a lifetime first experience for me. These two Cadillacs have turned out to be the finest old cars I could ever hope to own.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

Had her out for most of the day (yesterday, I'm a bit late) and enjoyed some low key cruising with a friend and then wandering around the streets in search of food. While parked outside a coffee shop that we were seated on the sidewalk in front of, I observed a guy in a newer BMW park behind my car and then proceed to conduct a photo shoot of my car with his smartphone for about 4 minutes before going about his business. When he came back by he took another group of detailed shots of the car. It was nice to see what goes on when I'm not around since I usually park it and leave it.

Yesterday was a nice sunny day so I used my F1 to run some errants before meeting a friend for lunch. Stopped at a lawn mower shop to pick up a tire that was being repaired. The owner saw me pull in and after paying he followed me out. He walked around asking questions and saying how it would look great with his logo on the door. Before I could leave one of his employees pulled in and was doing the same thing. Then a customer pulled in and the whole process repeated for a third time. I was beginning to think I was going to be late for lunch.

Got to lunch and was waiting in the parking lot for my friend to show up and a fellow pulled in beside me. Said he use to have a 49 and then pulled out after a quick look.

Lunch was good to :D

Guest JJStaus

Yep! Yesterday was a perfect day for it in East Tx. I took My 1982 Toyota Cressida to the "man Show". They Had a class for imports. But I was the only Import there, so came away witdh a little trophy!!! Ha Ha ! AT least is is in Exclennt condition, not a classic but pretty .

Yep! Yesterday was a perfect day for it in East Tx. I took My 1982 Toyota Cressida to the "man Show". They Had a class for imports. But I was the only Import there, so came away witdh a little trophy!!! Ha Ha ! AT least is is in Exclennt condition, not a classic but pretty .

Need pictures of your '82 Cressida, JJ! How kool!

In my wife's automotive past she had a '72 Carina and a '74 Celica. In my automotive past I had a rugged '81 Toyota 4x4 pickup.

We have a super-clean '99 Camry in our fleet these days, and I'm on the lookout for a clean late '90s/early '00s 4Runnner to replace my aging Passat daily driver.

Great cars! Vintage Toyotas are especially great! Don't forget to let us know where we can see a picture or two of your '82 Cressida some time!

Edited by stock_steve (see edit history)

Guest 4 bufords

took m2 62 invicta vert to torrington,ct to a car show at borgeson.nice show,think there was 5 buicks there.not a lot of leaves to peek at due to the rain on friday,4 bufords from ct oh yeah john d,stopped at barkhamsted resivior and took some pictures of the 62.

It was a beautiful day today in Cincinnati, high of 78 degrees, light breeze, puffy white clouds in a blue sky, very low humidity, etc. I took the Triumph out for a 3 hour, 100 mile ride just to enjoy the day. Fortunately I live on the edge of the suburbs, and can be touring on country roads with 10 minutes of leaving my house. Many old cars are often seen doing the same thing on days like this on the route I took......I've never seen fewer antique cars on the road than I have this year, and today's complete lack of them really shocked me. Has everyone stopped driving their cars?:confused::(

Just got back from a fall leaf tour with the local British Car Club guys. We drove basically the same route, over the same roads as I did no this day in August. Saw about a 1/2 dozen antiques out enjoying the (perfect weather) day.

I guess all is not lost!:cool::)

Just got back from a fall leaf tour with the local British Car Club guys. We drove basically the same route, over the same roads as I did no this day in August. Saw about a 1/2 dozen antiques out enjoying the (perfect weather) day.

I guess all is not lost!:cool::)

Must be karma, Dave.

Only put on 93 miles on my 1972 TR6 since Hershey 2011. Put 21 miles on it today. Ran around country roads and of course up Duryea Drive to the Pagoda (Charles Duryea's test track around 1900-05 or so). Put it in the garage for the winter. Did the usual ritual of Sta-Bil, oil, inflate tires to 50 p.s.i. to prevent flat spots, anti-freeze/oil check, W-D 40 on non-painted hardware, dash pot oil, etc.

Regards,

Peter J.

Nice sunny morning, around 60° by 10:00 - slightly above normal for this time of year. Started up the '72 LTD for the first time in a month and loaded it up for a dump run. Did that and rode around town a bit. I was going to go for another ride this afternoon, but ended up raking leaves (again). I usually keep my cars somewhat active until early November, so another week or two and I'll prep them for winter. I really need to take the Buick out but it is hemmed in the garage by our new kitchen cabinets which were delivered last week. The kitchen is supposed to be done by November 1 which should still give me time to get the Buick out one more time and get it ready for winter. Haven't used either car much this year, about 300 miles on the LTD and less than 100 on the Buick.

Guest Barsteel

Got tired of seeing the '53 Chevy 3100 5 window just sit, so I pulled her out yesterday and drove her home, then did some errands today. Got about 10 "thumbs up" from other motorists, had the time of my life. Of course, it's loud as hell inside the cab, handles like a garbage truck with acceleration to match, but hey, if I wanted a sterile ride, I'd have taken my Nissan pickup.

To many cars, too little time and money.

Chris

Monroe, CT

post-54863-143139226215_thumb.jpgWe are in Brenham, Texas and driving the 1937 Buick Roadmaster Phaeton on the 2012 "GREAT TEXAS TRAIL DRIVE" Glidden Tour, hosted this year by VMCCA. The opening banquet was Chuck-wagon-style, after which the Presidents of both AACA and VMCCA entered the arena in horse-drawn wagons, dignitaries and prior hosts were introduced, and the National ANTHEM WAS SUNG BY ALL IN ATTENDANCE.

We were treated to an exhibition of Barrel-Racing by several champions young and younger.

The ladies who are members of the Barrel-Racing team were on horseback, and from their horses are directing all parking operations for our cars throughout the week.

The weather is perfect, and we have a large group of Brass-Era cars driving the tour.

We are having a great time visiting with long-time friends.

Guest Oldengineer

Wife and I took our 48 Chevy Fleetmaster to a Santa cruise - in on Saturday. It was a nice day here, but, pretty windy. The wind bounced the car around a bit, but, she did better on the interstate than I expected. A nice pile of toys was collected for the local needy kids.

Regards:

Oldengineer

Must be karma, Dave.

Only put on 93 miles on my 1972 TR6 since Hershey 2011. Put 21 miles on it today. Ran around country roads and of course up Duryea Drive to the Pagoda (Charles Duryea's test track around 1900-05 or so). Put it in the garage for the winter. Did the usual ritual of Sta-Bil, oil, inflate tires to 50 p.s.i. to prevent flat spots, anti-freeze/oil check, W-D 40 on non-painted hardware, dash pot oil, etc.

Regards,

Peter J.

I think I told you before that in 1980 I lived directly at the base of Duryea Drive on Perkiomen. The only car I've ever driven up to the Pagoda was my then 20 year old 1960 Ford Falcon with an automatic in February. I'm afraid it was probably not quite the same experience! Neither is touring flat Ohio farm roads in a sports car.

post-30638-14313922622_thumb.gif :o

• 2 weeks later...

It was a beautiful day here, low 70s and sunny. I took the 57 Lincoln out for a long local cruise, it never fails to get some waves and I had two people ask me about it at stoplights. Since it is for sale I sure wish I could find a buyer before the cold weather gets here although it rarely gets bad enough here to keep from driving.

I got the '71 Lesabre out yesterday and used it to do errands, then took it out this morning to go to the dump (probably should say recycling center) and more errands. Filled it with gas and some Stabil for the first time since October last year - only put 105 miles on it. Looking back at my records, that was the only time in 2011 I put gas in it so haven't used it much the last couple of years. It's pretty noisy due to te failing manifold gaskets - another story addressed in another thread here - and some other issues that make me leary of taking it any distance. Anyway, covered it up for the winter. Next weekend, it's the LTD's turn.

I drove the 48 Plymouth over to vote today and run a couple errands then took out the chrysler which I have only put about 70 miles on this year loaded it up with stabilizer for the winter and gave the kids a couple of rides around the block then took it out for an 8 mile drive at 45-55 MPH. The sun was pretty much down and it was a bit chilly but still fun.post-43003-143139247887_thumb.jpg

The last time I voted in a major election quite some time ago I drove a 49 plymouth coupe to the voting location.

post-43003-143139247884_thumb.jpg

Guest 4 bufords

took my 62 invicta to the parts store in springfield,ma for a headlight switch,saw a model a street rod also saw a 56 bird ,sunny day about 50.got gas while i was in ma,4 bufords from ct

Hi,

Almost!!

I went out to start up the Chrysler to take a neighbor to the free Vet's Day lunch at Applebys but the battery wasn't happy enough to turn the starter.

Perhaps a new battery is due. The date on the one in the car now is August, 2001!

Nice weather hear today. Saw someone on the way with their Model T.

Took a nice long drive in the F1 along Lake Ontario, may be the last trip of the year, about time to start packing the barn for Winter. Since the wife didn't want to go I jacked in the iPod and cranked some vintage rock, rolled the window down and just in joyed the day. Saw a step down Hudson, a 63 Galaxy and a AMC Pacer being trailered. On such a nice day I expected mor vintage but I think with all the wet cold weather many are already out away the Winter.

Got my 59 Tbird ragtop out of the storage unit and put the top down then, went for a short ride here to the house where it's going to be until the shipper picks it up to head for it's new home in Florida. I got the 48 Plymouth out but didn't go any wheres with it, just worked on it outside in the nice weather. I'll take a couple of months of this weather :)

It was 70 degrees today, and will down to 23 degrees in 36 hours. I was robbed of one last drive today by dead sump pump. Took the Triumph out for 10 minutes, filled it with gas & Sta-bil, and packed it away for the winter. Was too busy with the sump pump to enjoy what is usually a bitter-sweet last ride.

First we picked up the 16 year old grandson from Sunday School and had him drive the '05 Sebring Touring convertible -- of course the top was down as we were enjoying typical sunny skies and 80 degrees.

Next we took the 1930 Packard (pictured below) out - picked up a friend about 10 miles away, and took a drive out US 90 crossing the mighty Mississippi River to the New Orleans Motorsports Park to watch several classes of race cars turn hot laps.

The drivers of the race cars, and the Course Officials spent a lot of time admiring, and learning about our 733 Packard ---- car guys enjoying cars and other car guys!!

Hey Dave,

Saturday, up here in Ontario (5hrs north of you), we had 70 degrees also. About 2pm decided to take the Whippet out for a last run and fill up the tank for the winter. GREAT AFTERNOON, stretching into the the early evening because several admires wanted to know "What the heck it was".

Took a couple of shots with the lights on (checking as we do not make a habit of driving at night) as the car is stored at my other property not too far away.

After parking her, made note of the mileage. Decided to check the transfer papers when Dad gave me his cars, it seems I have driven the Whippet almost 240 miles since August 2011. Not sure if it is just me or.. with the bit of tweaking going on it seems to be running better each time. Maybe just the exercise is helping? or I'm just getting used to the cars quirks and squeaks.

Now need to concentrate on new inner tubes and two new tires for the 1920 Overland this winter.

post-36036-143139254526_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143139254554_thumb.jpg

About 70 degrees yesterday in south centeral Pa. We took "Beuhla" to church and a few miles drive afterward. Did not seem to be running right. Thought to run out some more fuel before the winter drain down. I checked and should still have about 2 gallons. So I checked the points and were showing burning. I stoned them and tried to readjust. But the distributor shaft is very worn. When running I can press against the side of the unit with slight presure and just about stop the engine. So on the winter list is to rebush the shaft. Then the wife and I drove over to see another Buick Club member who has a yet to be restored 1924-45 touring car and show what I have done to my 25. Drove back home and parked in back of my house. Cleaned up the garage then went to drive the 25 around the block. Started right up but only made it about 1/2 way around the block when it died!

Got out the gas can and added more fuel. After about 6 tries she finally started but ran verry rough. It did make it back into the garage under it's own power. The winter list gets longer.

Larry

Yep drove into Hopewell last weekend for lunch, found a new Indonesian restaurant. How hot do you like it, they ask. Scale of 1-5. Turns out '4' is pretty hot. Great day for a drive though, Kept the cutout open, and may have slightly exceeded locally post speed limits...

post-71557-143139260135_thumb.jpg

I drove ny 1955 roadmasrer riveria, picked up my 11 yr old grandson. We had a flat tire right at a wal-mart, they had to put a new valve stem in. Only charged $3.00 (gota love the price) go Wal-Mart!!!! I drive my oldie untill snow hits 4-5 days a week.

Drove the '53 around today quite a bit. Took the Skylark for a few rides and had the carb off and apart 4 times. The accelerator pump isn't working with the engine running...This is the year of really weird car problems...