Sign in to follow this  
Barney Eaton

knock sensor

According to FSM, I need to check if the mem-cal is properly installed. How about, if the mem-cal is NOT properly installed, what other systems might I expect to see erratic or faults with ? Thinking, if I'm going to go digging the ECM out, I might as well put a new mem-cal in while I'm down there. Golly, where does one get a new mem-cal ?

1 hour ago, ChrisWhewell said:

According to FSM, I need to check if the mem-cal is properly installed. How about, if the mem-cal is NOT properly installed, what other systems might I expect to see erratic or faults with ? Thinking, if I'm going to go digging the ECM out, I might as well put a new mem-cal in while I'm down there. Golly, where does one get a new mem-cal ?

I am not sure if there is such a thing as a new Memcal available but I got a good used one from Jim Finn. Part of the unit is reprogrammable but the majority is not, and I am guessing that part contains the knock system. I understand the desire to have a replacement part available, but the car will run and work successfully with the ECM hanging loose, so it would not really be out of service if reseating the chip and ECM connectors doesn't work.

I'll get to it after october I guess, have other vehicles and if the Reatta is retarded (ign timing), I can deal with it. I suspect most of us have experience dealing with things other than ignition systems which are retarded :) Maybe someday I'll be able to appreciate the full acceleration potential of the LN3, its a bucket list thing at this point.