Clean and detail engine compartment 63 riv (what to use and tips)

Guest Steeleco

23 hours ago, RivNut said:

Boosters are usually zinc dichromate finished.  Eastwood sells a kit which "sort of" replicates it, but in order to do it correctly, it would need to be sent out.  I think that Booster Dewey does this as a service for $50 according to his website.

http://boosterdeweyexchange.com/

Ed

Here is the finish from Booster Dewey on the piece from my Oldsmobile

DSCF4046.JPG

DSCF4048.JPG

On the pix of my 67, posted a while back but they're in this thread, Dewey did indeed re=coat ) if that's the proper term) my vac booster. He sends them out, and he asked me if I had anything else that I wanted re-done to match. I sent him the cap from the resevoir, and then he reminded me that the hood latch should be done too. Don't remember how much but I know it was really reasonable. Like, really reasonable.

On 1/10/2018 at 11:00 AM, NC68Riviera said:

How did you paint your brake booster? I recently had my brake master cylinder replaced but not the booster and mine is very dingy looking like yours was. What did you do to clean it up and repaint it? Which brand of gold cadmium paint did you use?

I just took a look at some pictures of the engine compartments of 1969 Rivieras on Google Images. From what I see, it's hard to tell if the booster is zinc plated or cad plated.  If it's cad plated, the pictures I saw show the cad plating as very light in color.  

The zinc plating can be reproduced with a product from Eastwood.  Go to the Eastwood website and search for part #13242Z.

It's called: Eastwood Zinc Rich Galvanize and comes in an aerosol 13 oz can.

The cad plating can be reproduced with a system from Eastwood.  Here's a video that shows "how to" along with a link to purchase it.

• Like 1

I also use large quantities of aluminum foil for detail work. One warning, disconnect your battery and cover the positive terminal, foil is a great conductor. And whatever you do don't get gasoline on the foil before you learn about its conductivity, you can imagine how I know this...

• 6 months later...

Good day...

Man, it's amazing how much information is in this forum's archives... finding and searching isn't always quick and easy, but lots to find nonetheless... While searching I often get way sidetracked on other topics of interest but not necessarily the topic at hand...

Anyway, not sure if this is the right thread, but onward... I too am in the process of redoing the engine bay on my '64 and for all intent and purpose, it's near a point I'm very happy with but the colour reference (right, wrong or indifferent) posted in this thread is pretty handy, thanks. A lot of my bay was done as my engine was just rebuilt, and now I am just trying to clean and touch-up the underside of the hood. Although I vacuumed the existing insulation, it was looking a tad shabby so I picked up a set of the new under hood insulation from oldbuickparts.... 

On my original insulation, there is a cutout in one corner of the passenger's side, (as well as a circle right above the air cleaner.... (image attached)  Although a little tough to see, it appears that this cut-out is shown in the '63 noted above in post #18.  I recently noticed this in Post #763 of the below noted thread, but didn't really look too close at the time, but it looks like that '65 doesn't have any insulation, but a tell tale mark ion sorts n the same location... http://forums.aaca.org/topic/283876-rivieras-for-sale-on-local-craigslist-ebay-etc/?page=31

My Riv' does not have a/c, so I'm not sure why the cutout as it appears there shouldn't be any interference below. I'll figure out if the new insulation touches the air cleaner, likely put a dab of something (vaseline?)  on the top of the air cleaner and see if it touches the insulation when I close the hood. But, were these cutouts part of the original? Also do these panels need any adhesive? I was thinking of a couple small strips of two-faced tape just in case... And maybe final (stupid) question, if anyone has used these new panels, one side has a 'smooth' black side, the other is a bit 'rougher' with a grey swirl type pattern/colour. I'm assuming black side out, but I have seen at least one picture where they installed the greyish side showing.

Hope this make sense... any comments would be appreciated....

Thanks.

Later,

Mike Swick

Edmonton, AB

----=

UnderHoodRiv - 1.jpg

• Like 1

Without knowing the gospel truth, I would say that all of the insulation pads were made with the cut out.  If you look at the hood bracing, you can see where the brace itself is contoured for the a/c compressor pulley and the cutout in the insulation.  Based on the way the hood brace is contoured, I'd say that all of the Rivieras, a/c or non-a/c came with the cutout in the insulation.  Best guess.

Ed

All of the early Rivieras had the circular cutout over the air cleaner. Unfortunately nobody reproduces

the hood insulation with this cutout. The 65's had the hood insulation with the circle cut out over the air cleaner. When I changed

out my original hood insulation I don't recall the missing corner over the A/C compressor, but it was probably there and I just didn't notice it. 

Also, the hood insulation hits the air cleaner on these cars when you close the hood all the way across, so it is puzzling what the little circle over the wing nut area was for.

1 hour ago, Seafoam65 said:

Unfortunately nobody reproduces

the hood insulation with this cutout

The hood insulation kit from REPOPS I bought for my 68 has the circular cut out for the air cleaner. I am not sure about earlier model year kits. You could call or email them to inquire.

http://www.repops.com/contact-us.cfm

Phone:479-394-4500

Email: info@Repops.com

In their catalog the pictures don't show any hole above the air cleaner section on either the 65 Riviera or the 68

Riviera. I'll try to call them and see what's going on. I believe the one I have without the hole came from them originally, purchased

about 4 and a half years ago. Not long after I installed my insulation, I called them on the phone and told them they needed to incorporate the hole

above the air cleaner. Perhaps they made the change and didn't update their catalog photo.