Transmissions that fit the 401

Forgive me for not trying to find the answer in previous posts, but what transmissions will fit on a '65 Sky/GS 401?<P>Thanks

The short story is 1964-66 ST300 and ST400 nailhead ONLY transmisions. Oh, and of course manual three or four speeds using a NAILHEAD ONLY bellhousing. <P>ONLY the '64-66 NAILHEAD trannys will bolt on. The '65-66 are better than the 64 being they have a VP (variable pitch torque converter)If you use a ST400 you need a '67 ONLY ST400 option shifter, not easy to come by but I did, so it isn't impossible. The cros member needs to be moved back about two inches and a drive shaft change as I remember (it was 12 years ago when I did it). NO OTHER trannys will bolt to the nailhead NOT EVEN BOP. I am being a bit persistant just so you don't have to ask. smile.gif" border="0<P>Believe me if a 700R4 or something could we would know. The Nailhead had a very unique bellhousing with the torque converter sitting in the back of the block, and the bellhousing only being about 4" deep. Unlike the other GM motors where the converter "hangs" off the back of the block and the bellhousing is about 10" covering the belhousing to reach the motor. These nailhead trannies are great to make adapters to bolt to other engines but not hte other way around. <P>Besides it is FULL of torque, you don't need the overdrive. A ST400 (Buicks version of the TH400) with 3.36 or even 3.00 gives you plenty of off the line neck breaking starts, and good highway driveing.

I have a ST300 in my '65 GS, and I was looking to swap my 300 & ST300 in my '65 Skylark for a 401 and ST400. I know that there is a Nailhead st300 and a small block st300... <BR>Why do I need a '67 ST400 shifter? And what else do I need to complete the swap besides frame mount pads and motor mounts?<BR>Thanks

Dan, the 67 TH400 shifter will replace the stock '65-'66 console mount shifter. You could use the stock column shift and the shifter will just go a bit farther down to get 1st. My wifes '65 Skylark has a TH300 that worked for me that way. <P>Swapping a 401/ST400 in your Skylark take a number of things including the following....<P>Rear sump oil pan and pickup, found in '65-'66 Gran Sport or pre '60 Buicks. <P>Wireing change, battery mounts on the left.<P>Radiator.<P>Frame and engine motor mounts.<P>Exhaust manifolds from '65-'66 Gran Sport or Headers for the same. (others may work, but I doubt Buick would have made extremly unique manifolds for the Gran Sport if they didn't need to).<P>There are MANY other 401 Gran Sport ONLY parts but unless you are doing a Gran Sport copy, don't worry about them. <P>Randy, I have seen it done, using '64 Wildcat 4 Speed parts. Hard to find, but cool!

Randy, check out the post below this one about "65 carb and manifold........". He has a pair of Gran Sport manifolds and oil pickup for sale, smile.gif" border="0

Dan, we are on the same page that an ST400 and a TH400 is the same thing right? The ST400 is the Buick Name. I am a bit anal about Buicks and will call the '65 Gran Sport a Gran Sport, NEVER a GS. And the Buick chrome steel wheels are "Road Wheels" (or even Formula V) NOT Ralley wheels. The Buick three speed auto, though the same (except mounting configuration) as the Pontiac and Cad, but called a ST400. The Ch....Ch.....CHev.....I can't say it CH....Chevy three speed auto was a TH400 and didn't have a Variable torque converter. There are many details about who used what that I don't know but this I am certain about. <P>Anyway, I have a ST400 in my '65 Gran Sport. It too bolted in with the change being to move the cross member back (a piece of angle iron had to be welded to the frame) and chage the yoke on the drive shaft. I don't remember if the shaft needed to be changed, but I don't think so.

So could I bolt new a B.O.P. TH400 to a 401? Are the ST400 and TH400 the same except for the converter? Can I use a new TH400 NON variable pitch converter if I wanted?

Dan, your are limited to using one designed for a nailhead engine only due to the "round style" bolt pattern on the engine block. But lots are available from '65 and '66 Rivis and big cars that used them as standard equipment. Henry

i have a 66 gs 401 nailhead ,still bolted to the st300 and it has the switch pitch torque converter,i have exhaust manifold ,carb to pan, drive shaft and crossmemeber,i have had it sitting for a few years so it needs to be tore down and freshened up probably,but it is a full assembly ,i need to sell it and make some room if anyone is interested let me know.i live in georgia.email is bigtaz@peoplepc.com thanks

Just a quick note to say that I'm parting out my 1966 Riviera GS.... the parts are on eBaymotors. Just search under "Riviera GS"<P>For now, theres only a handful of parts on, but a complete MW 425 engine is there w/manifolds, positraction 3.42 axle, and switchpitch ST400 tranny....<P><BR>Sorry to butt in...<P>Derek

MARTINSR,<P>Just a thought - I recently bolted a 200-4R into my '66 Skylark in place of the ST300.<P>While I'm running a 340, and not a 401, why wouldn't the 200-4R bolt up against his 401 since it's the same chassis and same transmission as in my swap?<P>Does the ST300 for the 401 have a different bolt pattern than for the 340?

Yes, the 401 ST300 and ST400 trans have a different bolt pattern and bell housing then the 300 and 340 ST300 and ST400. The converter and all of the other internals are the same. The starter is also on the driver side on the 401, and the nailhead trans cases makes room for it there.

As I stated at the top, the nailhead (264/322 364 401/425) have a different bellhousing than ANY other motor (the 264/322 even being different than the 364 401/425). The 300,340,350,400,430,455,3.8V6, 4.1v6 and a few others all have the BOB patteren. There are "Dual pattern" Transmissions that have both BOP and Ch.....CH...Che....Chevy patterns.

MartinSR-<P>Just curious, what were your reasons for grouping the engines like (264/322) (364) (401/425)? I think I know some reasons, but I would like to hear yours...I know the 401/425's have the same "outside dimensions" for one thing - I am planning on possibly using some 58 (364) AC/alt/power steering brackets on a 63 (401) engine which will go into a 58 with the 58 dynaflow. <P>I am not sure if that is going to work or not but I think it's a good chance it will - we'll see.<P>If not, I have some 401 brackets I can use but they are from a 65 401, so I may have to go to the alternator instead of the generator.<P>Mark<P>[ 07-17-2001: Message edited by: Mark Schmerbeck ]<p>[ 07-17-2001: Message edited by: Mark Schmerbeck ]