Sign in to follow this  
Steeleco

Best Tires and Tire size for 1963 Riviera

telriv    43

One thing you have to be careful of when changing to radial tires. Since they track & handle so much better sometimes you will find yourself driving a little harder. Hub caps, especially wire wheel covers because of their weight, have a tendency to "Fly" off at the most unexpected time. Especially going around corners.  Of course doesn't effect road wheels or turbine covers. You need someway to hold them on. OEM went to a way with the center bolt,anti-theft feature. AND, don't just use one of those locks that relies on the valve stem. Not only will you lose your wire wheel hubcap but you'll also end up with a flat tire.

Just a word of caution.

flh73    13

Yeah I picked up the tires. They are new with some age according to build date. Couldn't pass up the deal. The're actually 78H 15. They will be a little skinny but again I'm ok with the look. I've been through the era of wide tires both on bikes and cars. The new trend is going back to skinnies.  So once again what's old is new again.

Great idea to try and secure caps. I'll have to look into this as living in MI the roads are horrible. 

RivNut    902

The later model wire wheel covers had a removable center cap.  Once that cap was removed,  a wrench was use to loosen the bolt inside the cover.  That bolt secured the cover to a bracket that is held on by three lug nuts. Those three lug nuts have a special shoulder built into them.  Those covers really "stick out" compared to the originals.  Just don't hit any potholes while cornering hard at speed and those original covers will be fine.  I've yet to have one come off.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)