Tie Down Straps

I am finding that my tie-down straps do not stay tight and must me tighten more often than when they were new. I figure my straps have about 5600 miles on them. I check the tension on my straps about every 200 miles and they are not as tight as I would like them to be. If I have an emergency at the 195<SUP>th</SUP> mile, I’m not sure the required protection would be there.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>

Is this a problem that others are having?

What is the typical length of service of tie-down straps?

How often to you re-tighten your straps?

<o:p> </o:p>

Perhaps Ratchet Straps with chain extensions at each end would solve the problem.

What you say?

Thanks for your comments.

Bill

Guest windjamer

Bill I use ratchet straps on all 4 cornors. I cross them and tighten them bow string tight. I just towed to Tn. and back, about 1800 miles and the car never moved a fraction. When I say tight,I mean TIGHT! I check every fill up.

Bill I use ratchet straps on all 4 cornors. I cross them and tighten them bow string tight. I just towed to Tn. and back, about 1800 miles and the car never moved a fraction. When I say tight,I mean TIGHT! I check every fill up.

So are you suggesting that I am not tightening my straps enough at the start?

Thanks,

Bill

Thanks to all responders. But I’m not asking IF the straps should be tight. Neither am I asking about cross strapping. Additionally, I’m certainly not asking to explain a step-by-step process of securing a vehicle in a trailer.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>

I am asking what might cause the straps to come unduly loose in less than 200 miles.

Any comments directed to this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Did you have the straps around a tapered axle such that they could slide thereby becoming loose? Did you have two or more turns of strapping around the center of the ratchets? If not the straps could slip thru the ratchets. We have straps that might be 15 years old and we have never had such a problem.

I have had the same problem with the straps loosening up on a few vehicles after getting underway. I tow many different vehicles. My Amphicar got so bad I renamed it Houdini as it was the quickest to loosen the straps.

Similar to what Restorer stated above I found that 3 to 4 wraps around the ratchet reduced them from loosening up.

After reading the helpful posts above, I'm thinking that the problem is not enough wraps around the spool. I recall on occasion putting too many wraps and filling up the spool to the point that prevents a full tightening of the strap. I have probaby gone overboard trying to prevent too many wraps which could lead to fewer wraps than needed. I'll be more particular on my next travel.

Thanks for your interest and help.

Bill