3/4 ton DB parts list book

Sorry, didn't mean to make the whole post a link. :-)

George no don't be, it's great information and thanks for posting it, I've read your threads and others about similar year and serial numbered DB trucks and I learn something new from every post. If I don't respond with discussion about it right away it's only cause I'm busy with work, family stuff, shop stuff or sifting through the information everyone is putting forth, and so far theres alot for me to digest and make note of and I appreciate it. I've been wondering which one of those parts list books on Ebay (and other locations) I should be considering but this will definately help in my decision when it comes time. Just don't want to duplicate purchases right now which again touches on that whole "consolidate my efforts comment" previously. Like Jason, I too want the original books for many reasons, one being the history and nostalgia but for many other reasons as well but the copied versions are something I'm watching and studying to see which one is more correct for the truck I'm interested in.

I called the Chrysler museum today but the person I was trying to contact will be out till tomorrow. Basically I'm trying to find out what our options are at this point and see if they can suggest anything. It's a catch 22 right now because the CA DMV won't award title for the truck without proving it's a vehicle first. The truck didn't have the engine in it so they wouldn't verify it as a vehicle. The DMV requires verification on all out of state vehicles so as you can see the current owner is running into this snag. The truck came from Massachusetts (and is a clear title). The other part of that is that the Chrysler museum offers to send a build card for $25 on requests for trucks but the problem is according to the build request requirments it reads "Proof of ownership is required on all build record requests".

See this form for explanation under Build Request next to the asterick*:

http://wpchryslermuseum.org/document.doc?id=34

So.... anyone have any suggestions ?

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

George,

I don't know but I hope to have some answers tomorrow if I can get in touch with someone who knows at the museum. I'd email or send other info but I just want to find out from a live body what steps need to be done now.

Hey look what I just bought :

Dodge Brothers truck hood emblem..rare! | eBay

:D:D:D:D hey, it's a start ...

Have the current owner get the build card, he can mail in the 25 bucks just as you can, its his truck that he wants sold and it his obligation to get the title if he wants it sold so I dont see the problem.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Have the current owner get the build card, he can mail in the 25 bucks just as you can, its his truck that he wants sold and it his obligation to get the title if he wants it sold so I dont see the problem.

Yeah I ran that by the current owner (Bob) and what you have suggested seems the most logical way to turn but the part your missing (or maybe I'm wording it wrong) is :

As I said previously the Build record request form supplied by the Chrysler Museum * "requires PROOF of ownership on ALL build record requests"

The current owner has a clear Massachussets title, however, it's still in the Massachusetts owners name so the guy I'm trying to buy it from (in California) can't prove he is the owner which is what the museum requires in order to secure build records and the CA DMV won't grant title with only a frame number to work off of.

Now you see why I want to talk to a live body at the Museum today :).

Oh, I think it's 8:04am Central time. Time to give them a jingle :D

Just got a call on my cell from the Chrysler museum from a gal named Cathy. Serial number and information has been passed to the archives department ...she said someone would get back to me in a couple of days or so, so be patient.

Tranny pics on the way from current owner sometime soon. He may post them here or I'll get em via email and upload them if he sends them to me.

Anyone know if the guy named "Truelyvintage" ever swings out west for transport ? Truck will need to go from Fremont CA to Phoenix AZ once the title gets straightened out.

Again, thanks for everyones help :D

Dave,

Here is the manual reprint I purchased. It is available several places, but got mine off Ebay.

I just went ahead and bought an original copy ;). I know it's more money but I just love the smell of dirt on the old books I guess...plus I want to see if theres any other nuggets in it that may help us or others as we go along. Should be here in a few days.

Books aren't cheap are they guys :eek:??? but I'm sure it will be well worth it to have on hand.

Gonna have to keep my eyes peeled at the local auto swap meets monthly. Someone should create a thread for just that alone. Title it "DB car and truck Manuals, Service Bulletins, Parts and rare Parts Books", that way others can pass along information and deals as they find them to each other through one place since the research and info on these are so limited anyway. Maybe a sticky on the DB forum ? Just a thought.... sure would help alot of us though.

Yeah I ran that by the current owner (Bob) and what you have suggested seems the most logical way to turn but the part your missing (or maybe I'm wording it wrong) is :

As I said previously the Build record request form supplied by the Chrysler Museum * "requires PROOF of ownership on ALL build record requests"

The current owner has a clear Massachussets title, however, it's still in the Massachusetts owners name so the guy I'm trying to buy it from (in California) can't prove he is the owner which is what the museum requires in order to secure build records and the CA DMV won't grant title with only a frame number to work off of.

Now you see why I want to talk to a live body at the Museum today :).

Oh, I think it's 8:04am Central time. Time to give them a jingle :D

Well I could tell you how to fix that easy enough but wont do it here

I just went ahead and bought an original copy ;). I know it's more money but I just love the smell of dirt on the old books I guess...plus I want to see if theres any other nuggets in it that may help us or others as we go along. Should be here in a few days.

Books aren't cheap are they guys :eek:??? but I'm sure it will be well worth it to have on hand.

Gonna have to keep my eyes peeled at the local auto swap meets monthly. Someone should create a thread for just that alone. Title it "DB car and truck Manuals, Service Bulletins, Parts and rare Parts Books", that way others can pass along information and deals as they find them to each other through one place since the research and info on these are so limited anyway. Maybe a sticky on the DB forum ? Just a thought.... sure would help alot of us though.

Do tell and thanks for the chuckle

Below is a quote from the current owner about the tranny pics on this link http://forums.aaca.org/f148/dodge-panel-id-329184.html#post1045921

"here are some photos of the transmission. the diameter where it meets the flywheel housing is about 15". the clutch photo is of a victory six. the trans fits this motor as well".<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

133536d1339544819-dodge-panel-id-001.jpg

133537d1339544819-dodge-panel-id-002.jpg

133538d1339544819-dodge-panel-id-003.jpg

133539d1339544819-dodge-panel-id-004.jpg

If that is the original trans that came out of the truck than the engine originally bolted to it would be the a 6 cyl Dodge, I will get the measurement across the face of the Plymouth for you just for kicks

Thought I'd post this photo out of a 1 1/2 ton advertisement I found a while back. Notice the same identical interior cargo design as the truck on topic. Only difference is I believe the advertisement is of a 1 ton or larger truck.

In the photo below it shows a pretty good view of the passenger seat, although it is only from the rear at a distance and art work but hope that helps.

post-69994-143139058068_thumb.jpg

I saw your trans pictures. My 1929 DB "E" series has the same trans and it has a DA endine. My numbers on the drivers side is T-71-1A. I can't read what is says on your picture.

Thats the number it shows in the pic too when you blow it up. ;)

Thank you, thank you, thank you everyone. Though not confirmed yet it looks like it's leaning towards a DA 6 over the Plymouth 4. Hopefully the book I have coming along with a Chrysler Build card will confirm it someday soon along with a confirmation with Jasons cross reference source.

Man this is awesome. :D

I knew it would take a team effort to sort all of this out and bring the truth to the surface once again and everyone that has contributed has a role to play in that. Hopefully one day we can all get the ole girl back on the road again.

Thought I'd post this photo out of a 1 1/2 ton advertisement I found a while back. Notice the same identical interior cargo design as the truck on topic. Only difference is I believe the advertisement is of a 1 ton or larger truck.

In the photo below it shows a pretty good view of the passenger seat, although it is only from the rear at a distance and art work but hope that helps.

Yeah, I think I am the one that bought this one off of e-bay a few weeks ago, I believe the seat is not stationary but will fold up. I guess I prob. can answer my own question and will

Thats the number it shows in the pic too when you blow it up. ;)

Thank you, thank you, thank you everyone. Though not confirmed yet it looks like it's leaning towards a DA 6 over the Plymouth 4. Hopefully the book I have coming along with a Chrysler Build card will confirm it someday soon along with a confirmation with Jasons cross reference source.

Man this is awesome. :D

I knew it would take a team effort to sort all of this out and bring the truth to the surface once again and everyone that has contributed has a role to play in that. Hopefully one day we can all get the ole girl back on the road again.

It was sometime in 30-31 that they were doing away with brake canisters so just more to consider

30 Chrysler I'll put some info forward here.

I very much don't think that that transmission you posted the pic of will bolt up to a Plymouth 4 cyl "U" engine. The round bellhousing is designed to bolt to a clutch housing such as my DA has. The Plymouth "U" engine and trans that I also happen to have, bolts together differently. The transmission bolts directly to the back of the clutch housing and there is no bellhousing between the two.

Also, the "U" 4 cyl engine and the DA 6 cyl have different front mounting points. The DA has a mounting plate that bolts to the front between the timing cover and the block and then bolts to the front chassis x-member at two points either side of the motor. The "U" has a single mount under the front that comes directly off the timing cover and down to the front chassis x-member with two bolts about 3" apart. Looking at your engine bay pic where you can see the front chassis x-member (just) you might be able to do some measuring of the holes in it. It may give you a clue. Your x-member looks different to either of my x-members with different holes. Maybe ask some of the truck guys (farrellg, Stakeside ???) on here to have a look and compare with theirs.

Thanks Dodgy, I'll make note of this key info you've put forth and once I get the truck I'll get in there and see what measurements I come up with and get busy figuring out exactly where we are.

Sounds like you rattled that off just from memory so you've obviously done some work on these yourself? In that case I'm jealous,,

I can't wait to get my hands dirty with this one. :D

Thanks Dodgy, I'll make note of this key info you've put forth and once I get the truck I'll get in there and see what measurements I come up with and get busy figuring out exactly where we are.

Sounds like you rattled that off just from memory so you've obviously done some work on these yourself? In that case I'm jealous,,

I can't wait to get my hands dirty with this one. :D

No, Ive been back and forth to the shed about 3 times trying to figure it out!!!

I'm just lucky to have both engines in my posession and thought I could help.

If you saw the state my DA is in and you were still jealous you would be the first!!!:D

If you saw the state my DA is in and you were still jealous you would be the first!!!:D

I've seen it on the other thread so consider me the 1st ! :D

Hey ... at least you have one.

Thanks again for taking the time and making those trips back and forth on my account. If you seen my shop area you'd know from the wear on the ground that I've made many of those kinds of trips myself. ;) I appreciate it

I saw your trans pictures. My 1929 DB "E" series has the same trans and it has a DA endine. My numbers on the drivers side is T-71-1A. I can't read what is says on your picture.

stakeside

I see you posted these pics below on another thread so I brought them over here to cover this issue without intruding on that other thread. You mention "Both engines have a "H" code on the engine number that is located below the exhaust/intake manifold at the front of the engine"

What does the H stand for or what is the significance in regards to trucks specifically? (Great, here he goes again with the letter questions ...:rolleyes:)

Questions for everyone:

Is everyone in agreement that the pics of the DA 6 are indeed the type of era correct motor I should be searching for ? ( can we discuss the tranny somemore cause I have many questions about it -- things like bellhousing, ujoint knuckle, ebrake etc...)

If so, that leads me to my next question:

If the truck does prove to be a 1930 or 31 what do I look for in order to date code the serial #'s to each specific year in order to insure that I have the correct motor (when I find one for sale that is)?

Sorry for jumping ahead but my wheels are spinnin...:o Maybe I should just wait to pose these kinds of questions once I get the title and date locked down to avoid any kind of confusion.

post-69994-143139059773_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143139059775_thumb.jpg

stakeside

I see you posted these pics below on another thread so I brought them over here to cover this issue without intruding on that other thread. You mention "Both engines have a "H" code on the engine number that is located below the exhaust/intake manifold at the front of the engine"

What does the H stand for or what is the significance in regards to trucks specifically? (Great, here he goes again with the letter questions ...:rolleyes:)

Questions for everyone:

Is everyone in agreement that the pics of the DA 6 are indeed the type of era correct motor I should be searching for ? ( can we discuss the tranny somemore cause I have many questions about it -- things like bellhousing, ujoint knuckle, ebrake etc...)

If so, that leads me to my next question:

If the truck does prove to be a 1930 or 31 what do I look for in order to date code the serial #'s to each specific year in order to insure that I have the correct motor (when I find one for sale that is)?

Sorry for jumping ahead but my wheels are spinnin...:o Maybe I should just wait to pose these kinds of questions once I get the title and date locked down to avoid any kind of confusion.

Assuming you are awaiting a response from Stakeside Ill leave the above alone but I was just curious enough to do some digging on that brake canister part # 79354 is as I suspected same canister as the autos, it was used in conjunction with 210780 which again is the same master as the autos, canister and that master were used on quite a number of models but as I suspected and as previously mentioned it again coincides with your DA-124 series of truck,it was used on many sizes of DA truck.

Unfortunately incidentally the same master/canister was used on the UF-10,F-10,UG-30,UF-31,F-30,F-31,F-35,F-36 which means for trucks it was still used right on up until the 33 models so that sorta diminishes credibility to the theory of dating one of these trucks by that slight observation, very interesting though and glad to have been able to come up with this answer.

Interesting as well that the DA-120 ( the other 3/4 ton ) used a different master with the before-mentioned integral reservoir.

Might wish to consider getting yourself the Dodge trucks master parts book, its a big help and although I am not a huge fan of these master books I would still consider it a wise investment given the scarcity of Truck related material

Quote..........Questions for everyone:

Is everyone in agreement that the pics of the DA 6 are indeed the type of era correct motor I should be searching for ? ...........The pictures above that stakeside submitted show a DA-6 auto engine, the truck engines had some differences, different manifold, water intake tube ect ect

Quote...........( can we discuss the tranny somemore cause I have many questions about it -- things like bellhousing, ujoint knuckle, ebrake etc...)............We can discuss anything you like except politics and fast women ;)

Quote..........If the truck does prove to be a 1930 or 31 ............Not sure why you are still sounding skeptical, no point in giving/presenting facts if there isnt going to be a certain level of faith.

Good to question things always but unless you have a plausible argument ( and if so please present it, Im all ears ) you might want to consider having faith for the time being in what has already been brought to the table.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Quote.........what do I look for in order to date code the serial #'s to each specific year in order to insure that I have the correct motor (when I find one for sale that is)? ..........Very good question, one that can be answered but will take some time.

Interesting project that needs to be addressed, its officially on my to do list

In short though, if you are able to get your build card it will have the original engine number stampd within it most likely

Might wish to consider getting yourself the Dodge trucks master parts book, its a big help and although I am not a huge fan of these master books I would still consider it a wise investment given the scarcity of Truck related material

Once step ahead of ya;)

---

Thanks for that brake cannister info thats huge at this point, now I'll just have to let it register in my brain over the next 24 hours :confused: what it all means. I'm sure the parts book will help turn the light on once I sift through it.

Quote..........If the truck does prove to be a 1930 or 31 ............Not sure why you are still sounding skeptical, no point in giving/presenting facts if there isnt going to be a certain level of faith.

Good to question things always but unless you have a plausible argument ( and if so please present it, Im all ears ) you might want to consider having faith for the time being in what has already been brought to the table.

Point taken :)

Point taken :)

In case you hadnt noticed Im always up for a good debate and Im kinda dissapointed that you dont have anything yet to throw at me.

We are all ( well some of us ) learning

Once step ahead of ya;)

---

Thanks for that brake cannister info thats huge at this point, now I'll just have to let it register in my brain over the next 24 hours :confused: what it really means. I'm sure the parts book will help turn the light on once I sift through it.

Unfortunately it means little at this point, just another interesting observation that we can both hopefully put to use in the future

In case you hadnt noticed Im always up for a good debate and Im kinda dissapointed that you dont have anything yet to throw at me.

We are all ( well some of us ) learning

Oh I'm sure I have something, I just haven't figured out how to put it into words yet ;). I do have faith, but something still isn't jiving and I can't put my finger on it. Still trying to make sense of all the information.

This isn't the only thing I have going on. I'm researching to many things right now, everything from this Panel truck, family history and locating grave sites from the 1600's for other family members, to a fricken water pump and timing tensioner for the wifes car so my head is kinda reeling...

Sounds like you have found a manual, I do hope its not a re-print from Faxon, I tried several of their re-prints some time ago ( a few years ) and was severly dissapointed with their binding material, pages just falling out, books werent cheap and I should have sent them back but did not, anyway be carefull

I also have an original, when I mentioned re-prints from Faxon I should have described them better as Chrysler Master parts books and I think I got a Desoto as well, course since then I was ale to replace most of them with originals as well but better hurry, the good stuff is runnin dry

The pictures above that stakeside submitted show a DA-6 auto engine, the truck engines had some differences, different manifold, water intake tube ect ect

Have any pics of this motor on file by chance ? As many angles as possible so I can see mounting and other important factors that will come into play. No rush man, just wondering if you had any for quick reference. I've looked everywhere for a pic and can't find anything.