Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hudini

Buick Special 1956 Model 41

63 posts in this topic

2 days ago we started to restore my first american car. This is like a dream come true, to me. I will try putt pictures as we progress.

post-80658-143138991263_thumb.jpg

post-80658-143138991316_thumb.jpg

post-80658-143138991365_thumb.jpg

post-80658-143138991413_thumb.jpg

post-80658-143138991463_thumb.jpg

post-80658-143138991511_thumb.jpg

post-80658-14313899156_thumb.jpg

Wow! A 1956 with air conditioning from the factory. That is a very rare option in a 1956 Buick, especially in a Special. It also looks like it is a 3-speed standard shift car--another rarity. You have a very unusual 1956 Special model 41! Do you have all of the missing parts, such as front fenders, interior, grille, bumpers?

Good luck and let us know if we can help. You should join the Buick Club of America and receive the monthly magazine. It will help you with finding parts.

Pete Phillips

Leonard, Texas

Yes Pete, I have all parts. The car is 100% complete. On car everything its working except air conditiong, because there is no gas in system. Thanks for support.

Wow! what a great car, and you are taking it apart very quickly. Make sure that you take many pictures when you take it apart. They will be very helpful when you go to re-assemble the car after you have cleaned and painted all the parts. Also use small plastic bags for parts and label them as well. Use a sharpie pen and tags or labels. It will also help when you go to put it together many months from now. Good luck on your restoration and keep posting the pictures as you go along.

at this rate you will have it fully restored and ready to drive this weekend :)

at this rate you will have it fully restored and ready to drive this weekend :)

why do you think they call him Hudini :)

Here is the car before he started his magic.

http://forums.aaca.org/f163/buick-special-1956-a-318303.html

I hope you can keep the momentum going. Look forward to following this one.

Guys, now I need little your help.

Question 1. How too remove knob on first seat. (in red circle)

Question 2. How to remove antenna (chrome ring that have a little hole - in red circle)

and 3. I need this chrome ventilation port (i dont wanna radio) (in red circle)

Thank you

post-80658-143139054351_thumb.jpg

post-80658-143139054402_thumb.jpg

post-80658-143139054415_thumb.jpg

You need a shop manual. They are available on Ebay ; original printing, reproduction and on CD. I normally would take pictures of my manual and post.... But,

My camera and scanner are down .

The '55 Shop Manual Section 11-7 (page 401) Has the procedure for installation of the antenna. (the procedure for removal is not given). Reversing the installation should work.

There is a nut inside the fender.

Hopefully some one will post a scan or photo fo the manual...........

The knob has a small (1/8" +/-?) hex (or Allen) key on the underside of the knob.

That chrome antenna bezel just twists off. Protect the chrome and then use pliers of some sort. There may be a tool for it that is crescent shaped, but it may be hard to find in Croatia. So use the pliers ;) .

I assume you are looking for a radio block-off plate. eBay has them sometimes.

thank you guys. I have shop manual. It was the first thing I bought. In section 11-7 is installation of Manual Antenna and for this chrome nut says too tight securely use Antenna Nut Wrench J 5185-1. I just need this information that Buick5563 give me.

Posted (edited)

work on the car to this day. Engine is off and dismantled. The valve's are in poor condition. I have to replace all valves (intake and exhaust), and 4 lifters are bad. Undercarriage is ready for sandblasting.

Edited by hudini (see edit history)

Today I rebuild my carb (carter). I have question. On carb there is a small hole, must these "hole" be open? (mark with red circle). And second question: When opening filter nothing was inside. must be in some kind of mesh? Thanks for answers.post-80658-143139129124_thumb.jpg

post-80658-143139129107_thumb.jpg

I don't know about the hole, but , yes , there should be a wire mesh"cylinder" inside. Also, you might want to disassemble the morain filter that is attached to the carb in the 2nd photo and soak it in carb cleaner or some such. The pores are very small, and will plug up with stuff an inline filter passes. Ask me how I know.

Ben

The hole is a vent hole and works also as an overflow hole for the fuel when the float sticks...like Ben, ask me how I know! :D

very cool- ambitious project too. valves are the weak link in the engine. You need to get good oil flow to them, the oil pushes through a bolt thread that holds down the valve rockers. Anything you can do to increase the oil flow around that bolt will help alot. there is no second chance if you stick a valve.

post-74392-143139158497_thumb.jpg

the pancake filter has a sintered brass filter- likely removed. I would add a see thru filter and then just leave the pancake filter as is, making sure it doesn't leak.

Wow! A 1956 with air conditioning from the factory. That is a very rare option in a 1956 Buick, especially in a Special. It also looks like it is a 3-speed standard shift car--another rarity. You have a very unusual 1956 Special model 41! Do you have all of the missing parts, such as front fenders, interior, grille, bumpers?

Good luck and let us know if we can help. You should join the Buick Club of America and receive the monthly magazine. It will help you with finding parts.

Pete Phillips

Leonard, Texas

And Pete, dual exhausts, absolutely a rare one.

Hudini, do the dual exhausts appear to be original? Did you happen to find a build sheet anywhere during dis-assembly.

MrEarl, I'm 34 year old guy that from little dream about heaving this kind'a car. I always watch it on tv. Today i have my car, my dream car. In Croatia this cars are another world and I dont have anyone to talk about this car. So, lucky I have you guys. When we start to disassemble car this is what i foundpost-80658-143139160975_thumb.jpg

I can not figure out what is written on the paper. This paper was under back seat. the seat are original. I think.

post-80658-143139160947_thumb.jpg

post-80658-143139160963_thumb.jpg