Florida collector and antique licence tags

Guest Richard D

Guest Richard D

I can not find out how old a car has to be to qualify for an antique or collectible licence tag, and what the benifits or drawbacks are. I made the mistake of searching the Florida DMV, what a waste of time:mad: Can anyone help me? I used to see rusted out 1970s era Chevy pick-ups with collector tags

Thanks

Richard

Guest Richard D

Once again I Thank You for all you and your fantastic web site do for me.

Best Regards

Richard

Florida used to have a "collector" plat that was an ugly pale blue, white letters and numbers, and no logos/pictures. This was siscontinued in the last century (had on on my 78 Sunbird for a while so was for 20 year old cars)

Today the only "antique" plate is for cars 30 years old or more that are only used for parades and exhibitions. I just keep a regular plate on the Judge though there is a price break ($36/yr vs $70 for a 3800 lb car) for old cars.

Guest Richard D

I was hoping to get a vintage 1971 Florida tag to use on my Skylark. I have a friend who has a 1965 Sedan Deville with only 25,000 miles and he managed to find a 1965 Florida 1WW tag and got it registered for the car. Back then tags cost was based on car weight and the 1 stands for Dade County and WW is for the most heavy cars. Too much trouble for the Skylark.

Florida used to have a "collector" plat that was an ugly pale blue, white letters and numbers, and no logos/pictures. This was siscontinued in the last century (had on on my 78 Sunbird for a while so was for 20 year old cars)

Today the only "antique" plate is for cars 30 years old or more that are only used for parades and exhibitions. I just keep a regular plate on the Judge though there is a price break ($36/yr vs $70 for a 3800 lb car) for old cars.

I see plenty of those ugly robin's egg blue plates at classic car shows. I thought they still exist. I acquired a 1965 virgin Florida plate for my '65 Ranchero, years ago. Seems some one found a warehouse stacked with thousands of unassigned/unregistered Volusia county, FL tags. Soome guy acquired a bunch and was selling them for $25 at the Turkey Rod Run in Daytona. I never used it on the Ranchero, as it clashed with my paint job. They are still available from the Rod Run vendors. Lots of years available.

Guest Corvanti

the light blue plates were still in use in 2009. i bought my 63 avanti in clearwater, fl. with one of them on it, registered til 12/09...

Think what you want is a 70-71 Blue 1W plate. I have an 69-70 "E" plate for the Judge with a Hertz plate cover but it was a Ugley white on black.

Just looked and I couldn't find my stack of unissued plates, need to do an archaeological dig...

Guest Richard D

Padgett, The 1970-71 1W would be perfect for the Skylark, I was also thinking about a collectible tag for the Reatta since I would be spending time at the Tag agency anyway. However since I would have to wait another eight years for the Reatta, as Rosanne Rosana Dana would say.... nevermind.;)

Padgett, The 1970-71 1W would be perfect for the Skylark, I was also thinking about a collectible tag for the Reatta since I would be spending time at the Tag agency anyway. However since I would have to wait another eight years for the Reatta, as Rosanne Rosana Dana would say.... nevermind.;)

I think I may have an unissued 71 NC plate if you're interested. Maybe not what you're looking for though.

Do not know I have one, just know there is a stack of unissued Florida plates here...somewhere.

Odd thing is that with all of the cars I have had, they have all been even number years... except for those from the 60s which were all odd except for the 66 I had in this century.

Came home again when I was looking for left over '11s for the replacement tow car but could buy a new '12 for just a couple of hundred more. No braner. May be why I have never had a 89 or 91 Reatta & all Fieros were 84 or 86s.

Guest Richard D
Think what you want is a 70-71 Blue 1W plate. I have an 69-70 "E" plate for the Judge with a Hertz plate cover but it was a Ugley white on black.

Just looked and I couldn't find my stack of unissued plates, need to do an archaeological dig...

Padgett, I thought that the 71 Skylark and the Judge were both built on the GM "A" platform. Wouldn't the weight of both be in the same class, 1W or 1E? I don't remember seeing an "E" plate, just a 1- then 1-W. Of course my brain is not what it once was, now it is full of useless information:confused: like one hit wonders of the 1970's I remember about 95% of them, who performed them and what year. My first real job was my senior year in high school, I worked at WMYQ, Miami's first top forty FM station in 1972.

Guest Richard D

I remember now, then we had a bunch of tourist car jackings with crooks waiting at the airport exits. For a city dependent on tourists the news really hurt the business, to the point of putting police motorhomes in trouble areas open 24 hours with big signage on the main airport exit expressways that said this exit, Police sub-station free maps and directions. The E went away from rental cars.