What progress did you make on your car?

Guest DodgeKCL

Mike Chrysler named their post WWII 6 cylinder flathead engines after the famed British fighter aircraft the Spitfire. The cylinder head is actually embossed with the word SPITFIRE and I believe painted red. Strangely although the Surpermarine Spitfire had a hemi engine in it, the Rolls Royce Merlin,Chrysler did not continue the name into it's hemi years.

Here is the picture of the spitfire engine in my truck. It has no number where the model and S/N should be, so I think it is a replacement block. Jen, how much of the frame are you missing? Like the front two feet, or more. You need to put your pictures on so that we can blow them up to see what you are talking about. Are you starting with just a frame, or do you have more of a truck somewhere also. Most of us are better able to relate to something if we can see it. You should be able to find parts of a frame somewhere. What part of the World are you in? Bye from Guy

post-82468-14313898459_thumb.jpg

post-82468-143138984638_thumb.jpg

post-82468-143138984698_thumb.jpg

Guest Jen_
Here is the picture of the spitfire engine in my truck. It has no number where the model and S/N should be, so I think it is a replacement block. Jen, how much of the frame are you missing? Like the front two feet, or more. You need to put your pictures on so that we can blow them up to see what you are talking about. Are you starting with just a frame, or do you have more of a truck somewhere also. Most of us are better able to relate to something if we can see it. You should be able to find parts of a frame somewhere. What part of the World are you in? Bye from Guy

pictures i have are to big in size to post here , and i dont know how to resize them that is reason i posted these.

from front of frame to back it appears to be 131 inchs so i dont know how much is missing at this time. still havent taken it out of truck due to health problems i'm having . will have better pictures later when i do get frame out. it did come with a front axle , and springs and hangers and shocks . at one time it had a 273 v8 engine in it before they attempted to do a IFS on the front which from my understanding that didnt go to well.

what i have at this time is a late 1935 dodge cab , with several hoods , and extra doors . 1/2 ton bed as well . still trying to locate a grill shell and other sheetmetal .

this is a very very long term project that i dont know if i can finish due to health.

Jen

Guest stephen48

The Delco-Remy generator in my 34 Plymouth stopped charging and I diagnosed it as a dead armature.

So I bought a new armature on Ebay and also a brush, bush and bearing kit.

Assembled it all today and tested it in the car. Yes it works and is charging properly.

Photo one is the parts ex Ebay and photo two is setting up the new brushes on the commutator before putting it all into the housing.

post-76051-143138984863_thumb.jpg

post-76051-143138984868_thumb.jpg

Guest 1930
The Delco-Remy generator in my 34 Plymouth stopped charging and I diagnosed it as a dead armature.

So I bought a new armature on Ebay and also a brush, bush and bearing kit.

Assembled it all today and tested it in the car. Yes it works and is charging properly.

Photo one is the parts ex Ebay and photo two is setting up the new brushes on the commutator before putting it all into the housing.

I hope you plan to keep that Delco cylinder?

Guest DodgeKCL

Mr. Denton I can't download any of your photos even in the space of 10 minutes. You must have your camera set to something like 2800X2800 pixel resolution. You only need 800X800 or less for these kind of photos. I have mine set to 500X400. Your photos are HUGE about 3 feet by 3 feet,like posters. Go to the MENU option on the camera's screen and set it down for us people on dial-up,please.

Thanks for the tip CKL. I didn't know that. Great name for an engine!

Rolls Royce 'Merlin' engines (for the Spitfire) were made just down the road from me; here in Derby.

So was the Rolls Royce 40/50 Silver Ghost - "the best car in the world".

Ray.

Sorry about the big pictures. I have read talk on here that hi resolution pictures were preferred so that when they were enlarged the detail would be clear. I have been keeping them under 2 megabites each. I realize now that with dial-up this would take forever, didn't think much dial-up was being used anymore. I'll take some more pictures that have less bites to deal with...Sorry

Mr. Denton I can't download any of your photos even in the space of 10 minutes. You must have your camera set to something like 2800X2800 pixel resolution. You only need 800X800 or less for these kind of photos. I have mine set to 500X400. Your photos are HUGE about 3 feet by 3 feet,like posters. Go to the MENU option on the camera's screen and set it down for us people on dial-up,please.
>>3648x2736<< (That IS kinda big) ;)

:( Aw... Anything with detail needs more than 600x800 or it is lost. They are great for showing a particular car shape vs some other car shape, but if you want to see the chrome trim on that car or particulars of the wheel lugs, you need more. The world is getting high tech. Some need to keep up. (Or take a coffee break after the click.) LOL :D;)

Edited by 1936 D2 (see edit history)

Guest 1930

I had dial-up not long ago and I know what he means, I could walk away for 45 minutes plus and still not have a picture downloaded

Guest DodgeKCL

I have no choice. I live out in the middle of nowhere with the coyotes and bears. The neighbors cows eat the apples off my trees along my fench line and Canada geese buzz my house constantly. But seriously ,in this case I don't think the Dodge pickup had any chrome left. Unless the owner wants to send out a photo of his restored and finished vehicle, I don't think mega pixel shots are necessary. Anything I post is in the 100 kilobyte range and I've checked them after posting and I can't see what any one would get out of any more resolution. Some photos I posted were from newspapers and I'm stuck with their resolution which is lousy to start with. I still think a multi mega pixel 3 foot by 3 foot poster shot of a truck as it's dragged out of the weeds is not necessary? Even if you are on high speed. Have you ever thought that some people may not have the technical understanding to figure out why they can't download any photos from our site and go away and never come back? Not every one out there understands pixels,bytes, etc. You have to always run something like this site for the lowest common denominator. (I hope that came out alright.)

I understand being out in the sticks. But then I suggest satellite internet or cell network internet. :)

I do agree that "GDenton"s shots are about as big as they can be for this Forum and may be a bit much to just show the Spitfire block size and how tight it is for the space. But I can also appreciate the fact that some may need info on, hmmm - lets say, the hairpin clip on top of the short shaft protruding out the top of the head between cylinders 4 & 5. Or maybe the top rearmost manifold bolt. Is it missing all together or broken off? Those things can be seen with the higher resolution and you would never have a chance of seeing that detail with a 600x800 image. I dare say the hairpin clip for instance would disappear completely.

Dial-up was pretty much out of the picture at the turn of the century. I think it was slow image downloads that pretty much forced my hand into the "new technology" (cable) back in 1998 - 14 years ago!. :o

Edited by 1936 D2
more data (see edit history)

Okay, I am putting some smaller pictures on. KCL let me know if you can download these okay. Pictures are good, and I know it is frustrating to have to wait for a download using dial-up. My camera doesn't have an image size of 400 by 500, but I think this is the smallest size. Anyway, the truck is here and my pictures are smaller, so I have made progress on two fronts. Jen, I hope you are feeling better so you can finish your project. I am constantly looking for parts in Washington and Oregon, so will let you know what I find. Not that it matters, but are you a Girl or a Guy? Sometimes it matters to know, I don't know why, maybe because I'm older.

post-82468-143138987151_thumb.jpg

post-82468-143138987156_thumb.jpg

post-82468-14313898716_thumb.jpg

post-82468-143138987165_thumb.jpg

post-82468-14313898717_thumb.jpg

post-82468-143138987174_thumb.jpg

post-82468-143138987177_thumb.jpg

post-82468-143138987181_thumb.jpg

Guest Jen_
Okay, I am putting some smaller pictures on. KCL let me know if you can download these okay. Pictures are good, and I know it is frustrating to have to wait for a download using dial-up. My camera doesn't have an image size of 400 by 500, but I think this is the smallest size. Anyway, the truck is here and my pictures are smaller, so I have made progress on two fronts. Jen, I hope you are feeling better so you can finish your project. I am constantly looking for parts in Washington and Oregon, so will let you know what I find. Not that it matters, but are you a Girl or a Guy? Sometimes it matters to know, I don't know why, maybe because I'm older.

thank you for the updated pictures , i look forward to your progress . i'm finding out i am missing likely 30 inch to 36 inchs of this front frame i purchased. will need to find someone with one that can make template of this section of frame so i can try to duplicate it to fix the frame i have.

i'm female , shouldnt much matter but i like cars and trucks of earlier years . not sure as to why but i feel i should have been born in a earlier time

Jen

Guest 1930

Quote...........i purchased. will need to find someone with one that can make template of this section of frame so i can try to duplicate it to fix the frame i have.............

I may be able to help with this, the later books I have give sort of a KLM measurement for the frames of the autos, I would need to know specifically what you have and then see if it cross referances into something else I have.

Guest Jen_
Quote...........i purchased. will need to find someone with one that can make template of this section of frame so i can try to duplicate it to fix the frame i have.............

I may be able to help with this, the later books I have give sort of a KLM measurement for the frames of the autos, I would need to know specifically what you have and then see if it cross referances into something else I have.

from what i see the back spring mount bracket for the front axle after that i have no frame. there is a rise in this frame from what i seen in pictures and a turn in the frame to support the front fenders. i dont even have fromt fenders yet. maybe i bought something i cant use just wasnt thinking there was this much missing

Jen

Guest 1930
from what i see the back spring mount bracket for the front axle after that i have no frame. there is a rise in this frame from what i seen in pictures and a turn in the frame to support the front fenders. i dont even have fromt fenders yet. maybe i bought something i cant use just wasnt thinking there was this much missing

Jen

I am having a hard time understanding your message, maybe take a bit more time in your reply and we can get somewhere but maybe also I should add that I would need to know what year frame that you are trying to get measurements for.

Guest Jen_
I am having a hard time understanding your message, maybe take a bit more time in your reply and we can get somewhere but maybe also I should add that I would need to know what year frame that you are trying to get measurements for.

1934 dodge truck frame , missing approx 30 inch to 36 inchs of the front of frame rails. total length of frame at this time is 131 inchs . someone cut off the front portion for a IFS which didnt work out

Jen

Guest 1930

There you go, much better, now what capacity truck frame? What was the original W.B., you say missing approx 30-36 inches so I would assume that you know the original W.B or is that not correct?

My e-mail is jhason2@yahoo.com if you could send decent pictures of what you have.

Are you certain that the frame you are trying to repair is correct for your truck, sounds like you have started with a box of parts.

Are you certain it is a 34 Dodge truck frame?

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Hi Jen. Not wishing to rain on your parade, but wouldn't it be easier to find another chassis frame?

The idea of adding replacement ends to your frame sounds o.k. but I fear is not quite as simple as it sounds. Whatever you decide, I wish you well.

Anyone out there made up new chassis ends? I imagine you need to be pretty accurate.

Ray.

Guest Jen_
There you go, much better, now what capacity truck frame? What was the original W.B., you say missing approx 30-36 inches so I would assume that you know the original W.B or is that not correct?

My e-mail is jhason2@yahoo.com if you could send decent pictures of what you have.

Are you certain that the frame you are trying to repair is correct for your truck, sounds like you have started with a box of parts.

Are you certain it is a 34 Dodge truck frame?

sent you email , the person i got this from has a 1934 dodge 1/2 ton truck and he said that this frame came from it so i have to assume he is telling the truth. after the mistake with this frame he purchased another frame for his truck and this frame sat next to his fence for the past 25 yrs . i forgot to check wheelbase on his truck i can try to email him and ask for that . the reason i say its so many inchs is i still have the spring mounts and springs and axle for front of this truck frame so thats giving me a general idea of how much is missing , its not accurate this way i know that for certain.

Hi Jen. Not wishing to rain on your parade, but wouldn't it be easier to find another chassis frame?

The idea of adding replacement ends to your frame sounds o.k. but I fear is not quite as simple as it sounds. Whatever you decide, I wish you well.

Anyone out there made up new chassis ends? I imagine you need to be pretty accurate.

Ray.

it may be easier to find another chassis frame but till then i have this one. i realize doing this isnt going to be simple that is why i would need someone with this year of frame to make template so i have a guide to go by without this i doubt i can fix this frame.

i should say years ago when i was much younger and didnt have the internet or resources like here i made my own frame for a 1933 dodge 5 window coupe. i wont say it was accurate as it should have been as i didnt have one to compare it to but it worked well enough for what it was

Jen

Edited by Jen_ (see edit history)

Hi Jen, I measured my frame for you. The total length is 156 inches. That should be within 1/2 inch. From the front of the frame to the middle hole where the rear spring attach point of the front spring would be is 36 and 3/4 inches. That is going to be extremely hard to fabricate as there is a crossmember between the two frame rails right under the radiator, and two more small braces that run from the frame to the front crossmember at a 45 degree angle. I am sure one of us on this forum can help find part of a frame, or a whole frame for you. Hope this helps, Guy

Guest Jen_
Hi Jen, I measured my frame for you. The total length is 156 inches. That should be within 1/2 inch. From the front of the frame to the middle hole where the rear spring attach point of the front spring would be is 36 and 3/4 inches. That is going to be extremely hard to fabricate as there is a crossmember between the two frame rails right under the radiator, and two more small braces that run from the frame to the front crossmember at a 45 degree angle. I am sure one of us on this forum can help find part of a frame, or a whole frame for you. Hope this helps, Guy

i have what i think is the frame braces that go between the frame at the front although they been cut they can be welded back together. mainly from what i see its just the rails are cut. i have a measurement here of 131 inchs will need to recheck this tomorrow so that at least gives me a idea of how much is missing. thank you for your help

Jen

Guest 1930

Replied to your P.M and will help if I can but now I am a bit confused, do you have the section that he cut off as well, I didnt see that in the pictures you sent me. If you had these ( I am assuming you do not ) than it will be a fairly easy fix that will only take a bunch of time and a good 5 gallon pail to sit on while you ponder the most efficient way to tackle it all

If you have the cut-off parts than I can explain how to put it all back together, you would need a tape measure ( tram gauge would be easier ) and a level surface not counting the tools needed for the job.

If you dont want to fork out a lot of money on a tram gauge, which you might only use once, you could make your own from 28mm copper piping and adjustable pointers. I made one once to check a straightening out of a slightly bent chassis frame. You can also use it to check tracking etc. - but I let the garage do mine.

Ray.

Guest Jen_
Replied to your P.M and will help if I can but now I am a bit confused, do you have the section that he cut off as well, I didnt see that in the pictures you sent me. If you had these ( I am assuming you do not ) than it will be a fairly easy fix that will only take a bunch of time and a good 5 gallon pail to sit on while you ponder the most efficient way to tackle it all

If you have the cut-off parts than I can explain how to put it all back together, you would need a tape measure ( tram gauge would be easier ) and a level surface not counting the tools needed for the job.

unfortunately i dont have the cut off portion of this frame. i do have the front springs , and front axle .

my thoughts was to have a template made of the section i need and make that portion myself then take it to somewhere to make sure it was straight. for all i know that may exceed what its value is and i be better off buying reproduction rails that is available.

this is just a very very long term project so it can stay where it is while i try to find more parts

thank you everyone for your help

Jen