Shift pitch switch

lassejoens

I am having trouble finding a switch-pitch switch for my 67 Riviera. Does anyone know where to buy one, or have one lying around they want to sell? I have tried searching on EBay and Google with no luck.<O:p</O:p

Thanks<O:p</O:p

Lasse Nielsen<O:p</O:p

Denmark<O:p</O:p

post-79641-143138944376_thumb.jpg

Guest Birdman

The part you have circled is the kick down switch I think. Your 67 dosen't have a switch pitch switch. I think it was 64 and 65 that used the switch pitch tranny. You can get one from someone parting a car or use an after market one. Summit sells a universal one the works well.

Lasse is correct in his request.

The variable pitch torque converter was used in '67. It was produced for three years - 1965, 66, and 67. The only difference is that in '67 the transmission used the BOP bellhousing because Buick introduced the new 430 big block that year. Inernally they're all GM TurboHydro 400's. By 1968, the "switch pitch" converter was discontinued by the bean counters as a way to save money.

The switch that Lasse is needing was used on both the '66 and '67 models; 65's were different. '64 had the TH400 but it did not have the variable pitch transmission. Pontiac and Oldsmobile as well as Buick used the same transmission in '67. It's possible that a switch from one of the other brands might work as well.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Guest pgadler
variable pitch torque converter

Hm, no, not the switch Lars asked for? If I remember correct, "stator and detent switch"....

This switch on ebay looks just like my '66 switch. I don't know if the difference between the 66/67 switch and this one is in the switch itself or in the wiring harness. I guess you could ask the seller for a part number. There's another one just like this one in a different listing.

Are you sure the switch it bad? You've checked all the fuses and connections. What about the solenoid in the transmission?

68 69 70 CHEVY BUICK PONTIAC GMC OLDS TH TRANSMISSION KICKDOWN SWITCH | eBay

\

Ed

The car does not run at the moment. The engine was removed as a part of an overhaul a few years back by the previous owner. When I bought the car the previous owner had thrown all the original engine parts away and restored a 455 block ready to put in it. Now I trying to find all the bits and pieces to make the 455 complete.

The switch on eBay does look right, but unfortunately he only ships to the US.

I will keep on searching

Thanks

Lasse

Guest pgadler

Hm,

I recently bought a switch off eBay not knowing there is a difference btw 65 and 66/67. The switch I bought looks like this one (linked to in post closest above) and if it is to a 66/67, it still "fits" physically to my 1965...

What is the difference in function (apart from part no)?

/Patrik, Sweden

You mention in your last post that the previous owner was preparing a 455 for this car. You'll want to make sure that the transmission that came with the car is a '67 transmission. If the transmission is the one that came with the engine, it won't have a switch pitch converter. The '67 BOP transmissions are a one year only item - BOP bellhousing with the switch pitch converter.

Look at the terminal on the driver's side of the transmission. If it has only one spade, it's not a switch pitch. Switch pitch transmissions have two spades. One is vertical, the other in horizontal. If the trans is the one that came with the 455, it will be much easier to find a kickdown switch for it. The ID tag on the passenger's side of the transmission will have a code and year stamped in it also. Anything '68 and later will not be a switch pitch trans.

Ed

Probably what the seller is advertising it as. The ST300 was a two speed automatic that did have a switch pitch converter in it. The switch might work, but the bracket is most definately wrong for your application.

Ed

You mention in your last post that the previous owner was preparing a 455 for this car. You'll want to make sure that the transmission that came with the car is a '67 transmission. If the transmission is the one that came with the engine, it won't have a switch pitch converter. The '67 BOP transmissions are a one year only item - BOP bellhousing with the switch pitch converter.

Look at the terminal on the driver's side of the transmission. If it has only one spade, it's not a switch pitch. Switch pitch transmissions have two spades. One is vertical, the other in horizontal. If the trans is the one that came with the 455, it will be much easier to find a kickdown switch for it. The ID tag on the passenger's side of the transmission will have a code and year stamped in it also. Anything '68 and later will not be a switch pitch trans.

Ed

I am pretty sure that it is the original transmission and therefore a variable pitch. it does have the two spades, and it does have the right grooves in the stator shaft.

Lasse

Edited by lassejoens (see edit history)

To activate both the kickdown and the stator, you need 12V going to each terminal. Both are grounded through the transmission case. How you rig the switch is your choice. You can either go with an aftermarket part or find something OE that will work. If you have your original mounting bracket for the switch, I'm betting that you could get either switch you've seen on ebay to work for you.

Ed

Guest FrostByghte

In reference to a switch pitch, I've decided to go a different route with mine. I grabbed one of Bruce Roe's switch pitch controllers. Going to try and install it this summer and see how it performs. You can find a lot of information about this on v8buick.com or simply do a search for 'Bruce Roe switch pitch' and it will bring up quite a bit of info.

Basically it's a small electronic box that monitors vacuum, braking, kick down, and introduces changes in the stator based on the parms set. You will need a separate switch for kickdown, but the box completely takes over the switch pitch.