Request year info.

Guest m_kent

Guest m_kent

I have a master parts CD. The engine parts I have are not listed on the CD.

The block # is 1328867-3

The crank# is 1307660

The rod # are 1336056

The only paint I can find on the block is turqusoise (42-52). This engine was in the 39 model 46 and had the serial number ground off.

Thanks,

Mike

Guest m_kent

All of these numbers came from the same engine. I am not a machinest, the best I can tell the main bearing size is larger than listed for 39.

The nearest machine shop is 120 miles.

There must be a way to determine the year from the casting numbers. I have three engines, all have different casting numbers.

There must be a way to determine the year from the casting numbers. I have three engines, all have different casting numbers.
Never seem this information in any documentation I have. A casting could be machined into a different part number from year to year. I did start a list for 1939 casting vs part number but cannot find it on my computer.

Team Buick Forum has a casting list for V8 Buick Engine Identification the guys have built up. [May need to register to view] Team Buick Forum

Never seen a list for straight 8's

Does block # 1328867-3 have 4 tapped pads about no 3 cylinder ? (So a 1948 or later engine).

It may even be be a 1951 ? 263 ci engine

Post 25 in this thread has useful information on identification of a 263 vs 248

http://www.teambuick.com/forums/showthread.php?21383-Which-is-better

Edited by 1939_buick
spelling (see edit history)

Guest m_kent

Yes Allan, that is the block.

The casting # on the known 39 are 1328787 2.

The casting # on the known 40 are 1311572 3.

Mike

This is the only '39 engine block casting number I can take a pic of at the moment.

A couple went to Simm's and my 2 spares are miles away.

It's from an early production car as it had a short chassis.

(look familiar Al :))

Danny

post-37069-143138942202_thumb.jpg

..A couple went to Simm's and my 2 spares are miles away.
For those not in Oz Simms Sims Metal Management can provide you with recycling solutions for your scrap metal {a polite way to put it}

Guys: The dipstick hole was moved in 1940 to a point at the back of the block near the firewall. No engine with the dipstick hole there is as old as 1939. I sold parts for years, and typically (with some variation), #130 was 1939 and some 1940, #131 was 1940 & 1941 and #132 was mostly 1942-48. #133 was 1949 and some 1950, and #134 was 1950-53 for the straight 8 while #116 was usually on V8 parts in 1953. The first key is the dipstick hole. The second key is what Allan mentioned, the location of the motor mount. Beginning in 1948 the front motor mount was moved from the bolt on plate at the front of the engine to a point about 1/3 the way back on the engine. Those engines have a "boss" on the side of the engine with bolt holes to bolt the motor mount to the block.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)

A second point is that almost no parts from a 1950-53 263 cid engine will interchange with the 1937-49 and 1950 series 40 engine. You can install 1950 series 40 insert rod bearings into any 248 cid engine back to 1937; however the crank is a different size on the 1950 series 50 engine, as well as the 1951-53 series 40-50 engine.

Guest m_kent

Dynaflash8,

From what you say the attached photos are of a 48 or later block. This engine is in the 39 short frame with 39 serial numbers. Therefore the engine and serial numbers must have been changed.

post-71620-143138942251_thumb.jpg

post-71620-143138942257_thumb.jpg

Dynaflash8,

From what you say the attached photos are of a 48 or later block. This engine is in the 39 short frame with 39 serial numbers. Therefore the engine and serial numbers must have been changed.

Okay, many of these engines were installed in earlier Buicks after the War. All you had to do was take the front motor mount plate off the old engine and bolt it on the newer one, and also you had to find a way to attach the coil, as 1940-47 Buick had the coil mounted ont the firewall with a coaxial cable to the ingnition. I'm not sure on the coil situation with 1948-53 engines.

BUT, you can tell if it is a 263 engine by the water pump. 1941-49 engines all had the same water pump and the opening to the head was more of less square. The '40 and back Series 40-50 had sort of a fat and rounded L-shaped opening in the front of the head...I don't know another way to describe it. The 1950 Series 50 and 1951-53 Series 40-50 263 cid engine had a waterpump hookup different than any of the earlier cars. I best I can explain the difference is that it entials using a small diameter hose to connect the thermostat housing to the water pump instead of the full-size hose (same size as upper and lower hoses, but about 3-4 inches long) used with the 248 cid engine. The 263 cid engines also used a narrow fan belt as opposed to the old-time wide fan belt used previously.

I have read here on the forum that some US states used the engine number instead of the frame number on titles. So an incentive to re-stamp when changing an engine

Am image of the water pump may help to identify more, but its 48 or later

That earth strap sure is in an interesting location

Thirty-Nine, I never have heard it called an "earth strap". That's kind of neat...sounds like a more educated term for a "ground strap". :)

On your other comments. Yes, some states used the engine number at that time, for example California and Virginia. When I fully restored my blue '39 I had to go to the top man in the Maryland Dept. of Motor Vehicles, with pictures in hand, to get my title changed to the serial number instead of the engine number. Similarily, in 1949 Buick came out with a new, complete engine that fit all the way back to 1937....dealers were supposed to stamp the old engine number into the plate but a lot of them didn't. I also found and used a 1939 big series engine in a Century I had, and it had a number that did not match anything. We wondered if it had come from a bus.

His biggest problem is if he uses a 263 cid engine, he has to know that, or all of the parts he buys will be wrong and will not fit. Conversely, if he uses a 248 cid engine, he can't use parts for or from a 263 cid engine.

Sure do wish I had money enough to come to Australia and New Zealand and meet you guys, but that "ain't" gonna happen.

Guest m_kent

Earth strap (ground) is not a downunder term, it is very common in electronics. It is usually isolated from power ground, but not on vehicles.

Attached photo 1 shows coil mounting in front of the distributor, interesting to me oil pressure gauge line connected just below the distributor, not to main oil journal.

Photo 2 shows support for air cleaner across the rocker cover, when was this used?

Photo 3 is the water pump, much larger than 39. Head inlet is square.

This engine is in the 39 model46 short frame which has the 3.9 to1 differential. Could have been much fun!!

post-71620-143138947229_thumb.jpg

post-71620-143138947234_thumb.jpg

post-71620-143138947239_thumb.jpg