coolant temp on built 455

I have a 455 in a 70 skylark and was wondering what type of coolant temperatures you guys run mine is 71'stage 1 455 .030 over and has a cam intake headers etc. It has a stage one radiador and a factory type clutch fan and shroud I ran it around the other day and it stayed around 220-230f (machanical guage) this seens high. <BR>I would like to know what you guys with similar combos think about this. will a 160 thermostat help or an add-on electric fan? any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

230 is pretty high. Most passenger vehicles run best around 180-200 degrees. I had a Stage 1 400 in my '71 Skylark that liked to run warm. In the summer I would remove the thermostate, which would help some. Remember that the engine should run at least 175 to be the most effecient though. Get a 6 or 7 blade fan that does not flex and do not use a fan clutch. This will use up a couple of horses, but will help keep things cool.<P>Here's a link to some Land Cruiser related cooling tips, but most of them will apply to any car: <A HREF="http://homepages.infoseek.com/~bejara_wbs/lcnw/coolV8.html" TARGET=_blank>http://homepages.infoseek.com/~bejara_wbs/lcnw/coolV8.html</A> <P>Brent<P>

rockstar......i too run a 462" that sounds close...i have the #413 cam,intake,headers,q-jet...i run a flex fan(tried clutch fan,did not come close to cooling)have a stock replacement 4-core rad. w/shroud,160 stat,i also do not run inner fenders...i installed an oil cooler & remote filter last year on this new motor,have 8000mi now yet to run over 200deg....thats on a 100deg. day...mine runs best about 180-185deg.....not sure about the electric fan(somehow i just don't think it is going to cool MY setup).......let me know if you need more info.....good luck...p.s....its also an auto with a stall......tim

Tim my combo sounds very similar did you install the remote oil cooler/filter at the same time as the new motor or did you do it later if so how much did the temp go down. Also have you run your car at the track I have a very similar combo same cam,carb, etc. with a 3.73 rear and 3000 converter? just wondering thanks for the info

i added the remote filter/cooler after i installed motor...temp droped about 15deg....only drawback is in winter(block cooler off)..also cooler/filter kit added about 1 1/4qt. more oil cap...i have 3.55 and I DID HAVE a 2400 B&M holeshot(which my car just ate,am waiting on new trans now)going to go with a JW converter this time....have not run car at track yet...thinking around mid-high 12's on street tires/mufflers......TIM

I too had overheating problems with my 70 GS455, I ran 2 electric fans on the outside of the radiator, controlled by 2 switches I placed on the dash so I could turn them on and off when I wanted, used a 160 deg thermostat, and a 6 blade non flex fan and original fan shroud and that took care of the problem. Good luck!!

• 2 weeks later...

I also have a 462 engine, changed stock rad to a four core, installed new radiator cap, and 160 thermostat, car runs between 170 on a cool day to 190 on a 100 deg, day.Car needs to run under pressure, thats why you need a good cap that holds pressure....good luck

You should never run wihtout a thermostat,not only do they hold temp.untill your car warms up,but their main porpouse is to slow the coolant enough to dissipate heat through the radiator.<BR>1) try a new cap<BR>2)get a good 160 thermostat(not all are the same some open closer to their rating)<BR>3)use the 7 blade clutch fan they work fine,make sure the clutch works

4)if all else fails go to a good 4core or aluminum radiator.<BR> These engines have a tendency to run hot anyway but can be made to cool down,most guys I know end up with a new radiator try a US radiator extra capacity 4 core or a Griffin aluminum.

• 2 weeks later...

try a clutchless fan. these trun all the time and do not wait for the clutch to engage. the clutch engages at a engine bay temp of 180-190 degrees. i installed one in my 1973 riv and 1972 GS stage 1 (built like the rest of you guys)and the temps are 160-180 on the stock riv (with 160 thermo and 4 core radiator) and 170-190 on the GS (160 thermo 4 core radiator).<P>john

I have a similar set up but my motor is 60 over. Installed a 4-core rad and many different fans and thermostats to no avail. Now I have a blackmagic electric fan I purchased from jegs for under $200 and it stays at 180 to 190 in 100 degree Atlanta stop and go traffic. It saves alot of space under the hood and saves horsepower too. Hot Rod magazine tested this fan and it provided as much as 40 extra horse on some motors when compared to stock or flex fans. Good luck!<BR>

If your looking for a cheaper way to experment on your fan setup. Camaro's and cadillac's with a v-8 came with a dual fan setup from the factory. and can be bought cheaply