edinmass

Classic Era Picture Challange

Next best thing to a 540k. A 852 Horch.

I may be in the minority, but I'd take the Horch over the 540.

Here's my contribution, a couple of images of the famed Bugatti Royale 41 model. Only 6 were built, epitome of cost meets luxury. One of which is the car Ettore himself crashed after falling asleep at the wheel, rebuilt into the "Coupe' Napoleon." I just love the absolute scale of these beasts, if you cover the figures you could be forgiven for thinking they were roadster-sized runabouts. Everything was proportionate and deceived the eye as to true size, 36" wheels for example.

Bugatti-Type-41-Royale1.jpg

3Schlumpf2Fritz-Schlumpf-with-Buggati-Type-41-Coupe-Napolean-Royale-620x416.jpg

jean_Bugatti_designed_now_called_the_Armand_Esders_Royale.jpg

Phlog_Bugatti_Loo_4434.jpg

I may be in the minority, but I'd take the Horch over the 540.

Styling is obviously subjective (I like them both) and quality of construction is equivalent. Mechnically, the 540/500k is significantly more interesting.

I missed my opportunity to ride in a type 41, as I was just a kid and passed, sure wish I did take the ride today. I have had a chance to play around with two of them, and sit behind the wheel. I only have photos on the computer from the HFM car. Sure was fun to help out with the car. Ed

post-31625-14313894976_thumb.jpg

post-31625-143138949778_thumb.jpg

post-31625-143138949794_thumb.jpg

Styling is obviously subjective (I like them both) and quality of construction is equivalent. Mechnically, the 540/500k is significantly more interesting.

I'm going strictly by visuals, I like how the cowl fills the area between the fenders a bit more giving it a lower center of gravity aesthetic, the subtle difference in trunk swoop at the base, and I've always loved the overly dramatic, almost cinematic font used for the Horch badge. That said, both are top tier cars that I would not refuse on any occasion and I have clearly been bitten by the notorious Benz Bug. :)

Anybody notice the incorrect engine in the Type 41? It's an easy catch. Ed

I stumbled back on to this thread searching for something else and decided it need to come back to the top.

These are actually two different Duesenbergs with same Franay body.  J365 & J369.  The differences are subtle but important.

Hyman has 365 for sale now.

2384_J-369_1.JPG

duesenberg_j_365_2385_sunroof_sedan_lwb_by_franay.jpeg

I would buy this Open Front Town Car in a minute....but it would take me decades to raise the 87K. My second-favorite model of this marque. One can find this in Tennessee, alleged original with recent maintenance, "Rollson" Coachwork. Unique, Classic, and rare. And it's on ebay for a day or two more. 

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

33 Dietrich Conv Sedan - one of only a handful produced.  Odd set of tires and (very unusual on a Dietrich) painted headlight and parking light shells.  Over the years I have seen one or two LeBarons done that way but never a Dietrich.  The photo appears to be of when the car was new or nearly so.  

Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 6.35.07 PM.png

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2012 at 9:54 PM, Den41Buick said:

This may be too early for the classic era contest, but I think a twin six is a classic in its own. Also, I would like to drive a Pierce Arrow!

The picture is of a 1916 Packard twin six touring that was in one of our family albums so the picture was difficult to copy. The relatives are from Scranton, PA. The 1916 is the first model year for the first series twin six. The radiator cap for the first series twins is one key, it is a motometer (second series used

a pair of 6's in a vee), just visible in the photo.  The Dominant Six

used a single 6 on the cap up through 1915. Also, the ventilation

slat below the windshield is one piece on first series (two vents on

second series).  This car has Westinghouse air shocks, and a few

accessory items, the spotlight of course, the bumper, and the canvas

seat covers (those might be "Crawford Covers" which were popular in

that period). Sure wish we still had the car.

post-60701-143138926967_thumb.jpg

Sharp looking Packard. Production started in May of 1915. Here is a photo of my 1915.

15pac1.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2012 at 11:41 AM, edinmass said:

I missed my opportunity to ride in a type 41, as I was just a kid and passed, sure wish I did take the ride today. I have had a chance to play around with two of them, and sit behind the wheel. I only have photos on the computer from the HFM car. Sure was fun to help out with the car. Ed

post-31625-14313894976_thumb.jpg

post-31625-143138949778_thumb.jpg

post-31625-143138949794_thumb.jpg

Here are a few photos of her outside at St. Johns back in august.

sj7.jpg

sj8.jpg

sj9.jpg

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Brass is Best said:

Here are a few photos of her outside at St. Johns back in august.

sj9.jpg

My vote for worlds most valuable car.

• Like 2

Did they run the 41 on the show field? It had a small end rod knock back when they first started it.....somewhere around 2000 or 2001.

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Did they run the 41 on the show field? It had a small end rod knock back when they first started it.....somewhere around 2000 or 2001.

I did not see it run, it was in place when we arrived. I had a 1958 Cadillac Fleetwood in the "Jet Age" display.

58cad68.jpg

58cad69.jpg

• Like 1