Classic Era Picture Challange

edinmass

OK, the Packard and Mercedes threads were great, now lets try for the real rare stuff, must be Pre War, CCCA Classic, The winner gets to drive my Pierce Arrow to a local lunch spot from my garage. You must provide your own transportation to my garage in Springfield, Mass. 30 days till the contest will close. No time limit to collect on the drive to lunch. I'll even buy lunch! If you don't get to the east coast often, you can ride (and drive) for a day at the Pierce Arrow national meet, as they move around the country quite a bit. Here we go, good luck, Ed.

post-31625-143138925234_thumb.jpg

Hi West, I thought it was time to get another picture thread going, so I figured the best photo would win. Car, content, location, and other factors that make the photo the over all best posting will win. To be fair, I'll let you pick the top three, then I will choose the winner from them. Might make a good story for you to cover. I'll kick in for lunch for you also. We also could use two cars to compare an eight and twelve Pierce. I thought the chance to take a car for a spin would help give a push for people to post. I hope to see a lot of interesting photos. Ed

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

Ed, are you going to force me to post some of my good stuff? :D

Does the picture itself have to be prewar? If not, how about an early 1960s shot of 4 Model J's?

From the front:

1. George Wallace's Lebaron

2. Doc Clemens Murphy now owned by Dave Kane.

3. My dad's Murphy

4. One of Tony Pascucci's Model J's.

EDIT: If anyone is interested I'll get the J numbers. I have trouble keeping track of all of them in my head.

post-31305-143138925257_thumb.jpg

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

This may be too early for the classic era contest, but I think a twin six is a classic in its own. Also, I would like to drive a Pierce Arrow!

The picture is of a 1916 Packard twin six touring that was in one of our family albums so the picture was difficult to copy. The relatives are from Scranton, PA. The 1916 is the first model year for the first series twin six. The radiator cap for the first series twins is one key, it is a motometer (second series used

a pair of 6's in a vee), just visible in the photo.  The Dominant Six

used a single 6 on the cap up through 1915. Also, the ventilation

slat below the windshield is one piece on first series (two vents on

second series).  This car has Westinghouse air shocks, and a few

accessory items, the spotlight of course, the bumper, and the canvas

seat covers (those might be "Crawford Covers" which were popular in

that period). Sure wish we still had the car.

post-60701-143138926967_thumb.jpg

Edited by Den41Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 1

An L head Mercer. This picture was taken in Boston in 1948. I am not certain what is going on but this is part of a group of photos taken on the opening day of the Larz Anderson Museum. The cars in this group seem to be photographed along the Charles River so it looks as if some of them gathered there to drive to Brookline in a group.

LAOpeningMerceremail.jpg

jp

Keep them coming, they sure are interesting. AJ must want to drive a Pierce! Thanks to all... Ed

Guest stephen48

The ex - Harlow Cadillac V16 shown in post 20 still exists. It is in the Southwards collection near Wellington , NZ.

Here is a photo of it taken when I visited the collection two weeks ago.

post-76051-143138929073_thumb.jpg

post-76051-143138929084_thumb.jpg

The ex - Harlow Cadillac V16 shown in post 20 still exists. It is in the Southwards collection near Wellington , NZ.

That covered some ground! Do you know when it went to NZ? Very attractive car imo.

Here is another of my favorites that you almost never see. A REO Royale Conv coupe.

post-31305-143138929125_thumb.jpg

AJ, post 11 looks like Chinard-Walker? (spelling?) Ed

If anybody actually guessed this I would be blown away so I'll give it up. M. Dimitri Sensaud de Lavaud was an eccentric genius Brazilian living in Paris who had designed an automatic transmission. They tried to use it in the first traction avants but the engine was too small for the transmission to work properly.

This is a 27/28 Sensaud de Lavaud. Total production can be measured on one hand.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1274270&d=1300729707

post-31305-143138930104_thumb.jpg

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

A pair of Auburn Speedsters. The 35/36 Speedster is one of my favorites. Besides the great styling, the supercharger, 2 speed rear end, outside pipes, tachometer are all great prewar features. I guess the only thing missing would be an exhaust cutout like the Duesenberg. I know they are listed in the Cord accessory catalog but not sure about the Auburn.

post-31305-143138930056_thumb.jpg

This picture is only about 40 years old, so not vintage like the others we have been posting. It is interesting because it was the model for all the Billings Touresters that were built. This is when Tony Pascucci owned it. If you watch Chasing Classic Cars it was featured on an episode with Tony's son John.

post-31305-14313893009_thumb.jpg

Where did the sidemount go??

Guest stephen48
Where did the sidemount go??

Good point ! I do not know the answer. Perhaps it is not the same car as claimed but it has been there for decades with Harlow information displayed on it.