What did you do to your Reatta today? <ongoing thread>

SeanR

Almost forgot. I had the replacement struts and an alignment done on the Red last week. I am now having issues with a sensor lead. The anti brake light comes on and then goes off on its own. I know it is a sensor as when the anti lock light isn't on I will sometimes get a pulsing when braking on dry pavement. I just have to wait for a total failure before I can determine which lead is bad. 

Holy discount Batman! That is a much better price then the $350.00 I paid less then a year ago. It is a great light and I still don't regret buying them. I also agree with kdirk that a harness is required. 

The thing to know about the Truck lite is that the bulbs have a short pigtail which is too short for our application [the plug ends up in a inconvienant place] and a splice must be made to make the pigtail longer.

I was considering using these, along with some male plugs (if I could find them) to make an adapter to avoid having to splice the harness. Then I put off installing a harness until I get lights that require it.

I had to shuffle my vehicles around to get all of them under roof......bad looking weather coming.   The Reattas are normally in the garage but since they are the shortest vehicles I own, I was able to get them under this open sided structure.   

post-76006-0-87112800-1435674489_thumb.j

My ABS lead went from intermittant to permanent failure. It was a front lead [passenger side]. The lead that failed was an experimental lead that I had used the self sealing 4 to 1 heat shrink tubing on. It was way too rigid and I knew that as soon as we were done repairing it. However it did last about 25000 miles which isn't too bad.

These are not the ones I am selling, they are only for my use as they are not good enough to sell to others. The ones that are being sold have no splices in the lead and are coated from end to end with a very flexible heat shrink.

In closing it is nice to have learned from others that the easiest way to test these leads is to use a ohm meter and test them right on the car without going through diagnostics. Simply unplug them and look for resistance. 

No more lens envy.

I was at the Reatta Reunion [Part of the BCA Reunion] in Springfield] and was impressed by the great condition our Reattas were in. While I had just done the rear taillight and got numerous postive comments on that, I was envious of others front lights, especially Kevin's [kdirk]. So what I did this AM was get out some back stock and took my two best fog lights and scuff sanded and clear coated them. They turned out great. Then I had one cornering lamp [drivers side] that just needed a tab glued back on [gorilla glue] and then installed. It was off the Black from when I had a small fender bender and was in excellent "Driver" condition and the amber corner globe was intact so that replaced the existing one. I then took some "Plastix" to the passenger side lamp [no back stock on that lamp] and wiped it clean with carb cleaner and top coated with a clear acrylic. It really brought out the shine and looks great [as a daily driver].

I also went back to the Black to install the repaired drivers seat [w/seat warmer]. Thought I would check out the cornering lamps on the Black to see if they were "nicer" then the ones on the Red. The Driver's side wasn't as nice, but the Passenger side was, so I believe a "trade" is in the Black's future...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest my3buicks

Big weekend for the Reatta - packed on 67 miles, Friday night an 900 car cruise and today a 2200 car cruise, only Reatta at both.   

post-76001-0-38083200-1436672383_thumb.j

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

Started to strip the Reatta today to get it ready for the rotisserie and decided that I'm going to have many parts to sell . Interior parts annd to many to mention at this point. I do know that the entire rear interior will be elimenated , dash , center console, harness, ect.

I don't need to sell them although it would be better than trashing it all.Took the calipers off the Vette suspension and have them soaking in the parts washer.. drank a few brewsk's and daydreamed of driving it when it's perfect !

It was a good day ;)

Edited by Jimbo59 (see edit history)

Guest HuevosRanchero

post-149725-0-90361600-1436801705_thumb.

Inspected the plugs this weekend. Running fine but look a bit long in the tooth. Original?  who knows.  Gap on all of them was approx 080th with the exception of bank 4 which was about 070th.  No fouling or damage.   Replaced with the AC double platinums and a new set of wires.  Just to be contrary I had a much easier time with the rear plugs than the front...that %$#$$ plug wire guide on the front gave me FITS!   Oh I can report that I had no problem pulling the plug that is inline with the oxygen sensor so the Bosch sensor is short/skinny enough? not to give interference.

Installed the steering wheel resistor last night in the 'vert. Did it a little different. I went out to Gibson" and cut the lead off of a Riv. Installed the resistor in the Riv lead and plugged it in. Works great and this way the existing wiring is intact.

Also picked up Reatta #4. This one is for parts. Started in a little yesterday and did a bit more today. 

Installed the steering wheel resistor last night in the 'vert. Did it a little different. I went out to Gibson" and cut the lead off of a Riv. Installed the resistor in the Riv lead and plugged it in. Works great and this way the existing wiring is intact.

Also picked up Reatta #4. This one is for parts. Started in a little yesterday and did a bit more today. 

would you sell me a front parking light harness.reattas are never in the scrapyards around here.

Today I decided that if I was going to part out a car [w/kdirk] I should organize my cabinet of Reatta parts. I am now ready for more parts. I have too much of some things and not enough of others, but the stuff I am short of I can add inventory of from this car I am parting out. I even found a wiring harness for the front running lights in my inventory. They must have come from that inventory of parts I got from Dave Pannel[remember him?] who lived in Indiana. I drove down and back on a wintery January day about 4-5 years ago.

So handmedownreatta your parts are ready to go. Ronnie as you know your parts already went.

BTW this car had a just installed Power Steering Pump, Serpentine Tensioner, Water Pump, and alternator. I don't normally go after a PS Pump or Water Pump but they were brand new.

Let me know if anyone is interested in parts kdirk hasn't claimed...

Guest HuevosRanchero

Had to drill out a couple of the screws holding the airbox together...totally stripped.  Cleaned up the debris inside the air intake tube. Looking to put a K&N in there some time this week.  Minimal cosmetic damage and a set of stainless screws in there now.

post-149725-0-63025300-1437403429_thumb.

• 2 weeks later...

Kitskaboodle and I drove our Reattas up to the Blackhawk Museums monthly Cars and Coffee in Danville, Cal.  As usual, saw quite a few interesting cars.  One highlight - eight, count 'em, eight Cosworth Vegas.  I didn't know there were that many still running.

20237636775_62c8a07148_o.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today I replaced the dreaded door ajar switch in my 91. It took almost three hours to do the job, and it was full of swearing and moving my hand upside-down and backwards to get the one bolt that holds the switch in place to cooperate.

I have to say, I hope nobody has to go through with this replacement job because it is not fun at all. Not to mention that the sensor is in the only place that your hand cannot get to at all without dropping everything down the inner door.

But thankfully, at the end of the day I have no more pesky "door ajar" warning on the IPC!! :) now on to finishing weatherstripping, and a new paint job here in a few weeks! :)

• Like 1

A couple days ago a buddy came over and helped me with my overheating issues. My car would go to hot (all bars) when running the AC on the freeway on a 90 degree day.  I had to replace a couple of soft plugs a couple of years ago because my car was a garage queen when the former owner had it and never changed the coolant.  It was  a lovely rust color.  I subsequently had the system drained, flushed and refilled annually for 2 years running to make sure it was cleaned out.  Then a few weeks ago the temp gauge pegged with the AC on. So much for cleaning the system.

We pulled and replaced the radiator which was an easy job.  I also pulled and replaced the thermostat (not an easy job) and also replaced the upper and lower radiator hoses as the ones in there were original.  They didn't look too bad but they were 25 years old and the inner springs were rusty.  We also inspected the water pump as I had a replacement on hand but it appeared good with no weeping and no noises from the bearing so we left that one for another day. I bought all my parts on Amazon through the Reatta store at the ROJ.

The thermostat was a booger but not for the usual reasons.  After removing the bolt I inserted a 6" 1/2" drive extension into the opening and gave it a twisting and rocking motion and it popped right off.  My issue came with the seals or gaskets if you want to call them that.  Evidently I have a very rare 1990 Reatta that has a different mounting gasket than all others. I'm not talking about the O-Ring that goes in the groove in the neck but rather the gasket that seals the housing to the intake.  Evidently most Reattas have a second, slightly smaller O-Ring that goes around the top of the thermostat. My rare setup has a stepped seal that goes into the base of the housing and seals it where it meets the manifold. I tried to fit the more common seal to mine but it appeared that it would sit too high and the instruction from Padgett on the ROJ said DO NOT use the bolt to pull the housing down.  As no one had the correct replacement gasket/seal I looked mine over carefully and determined it to have no cracks or leaks and it seems still to be supple so I cleaned it carefully and then gave it a liberal treatment of silicone spray.  After drying I simply reinstalled it. FYI I cleaned the housing well with a wire brush and then gooped it liberally with lithium grease and it slid home like a hall of famer.  It just took a couple of taps on top with my big screwdriver.

After firing it up and checking for leaks (none) I took it for a test drive. With temps in the low 80's with the AC on, my gauge never went above 12:00.  It appears that we did fix the problem.  

Today I have a friend who recently purchased his '90 coupe coming over and we are going to try and figure out why his taillights aren't working as well as installing a couple of headlight kits.

Edited by ol' yeller (see edit history)

Guest Flacko9091

My "new to me" '91 red/tan vert arrived today! Here it is on the truck and soon after parked in my driveway waiting to join my white '90 vert in the garage for the night. Glad the '91 red made it here in one piece! 37k miles, two owner in very nice condition. Will change some fluids tomorrow.

How can I rotate the pictures so they're not turned 90 degrees?

post-154416-0-21273300-1439930341_thumb.

post-154416-0-01973000-1439930369_thumb.

post-154416-0-99885200-1439930397_thumb.

post-154416-0-06054000-1439930426_thumb.

post-154416-0-19604700-1439930443_thumb.

Edited by Flacko9091 (see edit history)

Guest Flacko9091

Yesterday I toured the Dream Car exhibit at the Indianapolis Museum of Art. My favorite was Harley Earl's one of a kind Buick LeSabre.post-154416-0-74399900-1440202141_thumb.

Today I lined up my '90 and '91 Reattas with my '88 Mercedes (which is being picked up tomorrow) for their final group photo.

post-154416-0-73230800-1440202289_thumb.

Took the Red on a trip to Kenosha [260 miles round trip] Thursday to look at and buy a 2010 Buick Enclave. I had seen it before but my wife wasn't interested as it didn't have a sun roof. I talked her into looking at it, as I thought it was one of the nicest ones I have seen. When she saw it she agreed to buy it if I would have a sunroof installed. As I got a pretty good price on it I readily agreed.

We are now an all Buick family.

However the Enclave and vert are now "garaged" cars and the Red sits out.  [i do have inside winter storage for the Red however].

After many years of a non working fuel gauge, I had the opportunity to use a buddy's hydraulic lift. Now that is a luxury. The gauge became non working when I replaced the fuel pump on my garage floor, years ago. I have avoided doing the garage floor again. Well, we dropped the tank and pulled the sending unit/pump. Moved the float mechanism up and down with no change on the gauge which always reads Empty or 1-2 bars. Just as I was ready to reinstall it and figure the unit was shot, I noticed the float arm was disengaged from the plastic snap in position retainer from the very 1st job. Stuck it back in place and voila.

• Like 1

Guest Flacko9091

Today I installed a new stereo head, cassette and radio unit in my red '91 vert. Bought the stereo from EastCoastReatta parts. Now my cassette adapter ejects properly and my speakers don't pop anymore

Thought I would goof around with CRTs today. I had one where the "hard buttons" wouldn't illuminate and one with squiggles on the screen. I got the one to illuminate by simply plugging in one of the small harness's. Then I looked at the one with the sqiggle. I was trying to use it till it died, but it won't die. So if anyone wants one for a test unit, or to have while they send theirs in for a rebuild or for that matter to send this one in for a rebuild [the touch pad is real nice] contact me and I will let it go for freight [$20.00]. My email is;

lemke1044@aol.com

Guest Flacko9091

Went on a top down cruise in the '90 vert today. Found a gas station about 10 miles from me that sells 90 octane non-ethanol gas for about 90 cents more per gallon. I had about 1/2 tank left of the 87 octane 10% ethanol crap, so I filled up with the non-ethanol gas. So now I only have about 5% ethanol. After 10 miles I can already tell it's idling smoother

Edited by Flacko9091 (see edit history)

Guest HuevosRanchero

Ordered the remotes through the Reatta store and used the procedure to get them set up. Went flawlessly....power door locks are still a little sticky on occasion and the Alarm system is a bit twitchy but I'm very pleased.  Another non function bites the dust!

Guest Flacko9091

Ya I ordered one of those remotes for my '90 vert a couple of months ago, and it went well. I find it interesting that the remote locks were standard equipment on the Reatta but weren't even available on the '87-'93 Cadillac Allantes that cost $20,000 more when they were new. Also the late '80's Eldos didn't even have that available. Nice job there GM!

Guest my3buicks

Was to a Buick/GMC dealership show Saturday - I was the only Buick there until it rained, and the Plastic Fantastic car beside me hurried home and this white Reatta came in. Very nice car with 90k plus miles. I had to sit for 2 hours waiting for the roads to dry to get home. 

Back years ago when I was Director of the BCA's Pittsburgh chapter, we used to have 30 Buicks at least show up for this show - I didn't go last year with the fire etc, but the year before I was the only Buick there with the Centurion. 

post-76001-0-05435900-1441581090_thumb.j

post-76001-0-03265200-1441581103_thumb.j

post-76001-0-26406500-1441581116_thumb.j

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

Guest PAT'S 91

Replacing front rotors and brake pads on my 91.Have had the parts for 2 years and never needed them   til  now .

We had the car out today and the brakes were squealing when I backed out of the driveway. Whether I need them or not I am tired of looking at them laying around Also put the antenna on  last week.