SeanR

What did you do to your Reatta today? <ongoing thread>

4 degrees and the wind chill about -10. Went "window shopping" at Gibson's just to see if anything new had come in. No luck. I also dropped off a box of "Moon Pies" [I kept the anniversary edition tin] as I don't like marshmellow. As the counter guy said "These guys will eat just about anything".

• Haha 1

Replaced my convertible visor clip today with the one I received from Jim Finn without issue.... then took the Reatta out for a sunny day drive.

• Like 1

We almost hit 50 degrees to day so I did a quick hand wash on the Black today. Started to rain as I was drying it so I zipped it into the garage to finish...

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

We almost hit 50 degrees to day so I did a quick hand wash on the Black today. Started to rain as I was drying it so I zipped it into the garage to finish...

That is funny since I did the same thing to mine a couple weeks ago when it got up to 55 and just as soon as I washed it that darn wind and rain started coming so I also pulled in the garage and finished drying if off. Unfortunately there was some dust that had been whipped up and was now clinging to the wet areas. I had to fetch a bucket and lightly wash/remove the dust and then dried it off the rest of the way...Too much work, all in good fun I guess! :D

Checked inventory of alternators and saw that I have three of them. One is marked with a bad bearing, the other two are quiet as I spin them by hand. The later two are now sitting on my workbench waiting for me to give them a try in the Black. I'm not driving many miles lately and most of these miles are local so I will install them one at a time and drive them for awhile. I will keep the one that I remove from the Black in the trunk "just in case"

Looks great! And it only took about an hour between pictures. I also swapped out my wheels. Glad I did it and you should be too...

Steering Wheel 2.jpg

steeringwheel 1.jpg

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)
  • Like 5

The original was super gross. Not sure I'm 100% on the smaller diameter of the one I installed though, I'll give it a little time.

I have noticed for some time that one of the rear brake lights on the driver's side was dim. I thoght maybe that the bulb socket had "unlocked" so I pulled the tail light. It was worse then that, the bulb had dislocated out from the base. Swapped out the bulb and all is good.

Still got to get to the alternator...

• Like 2

Temperature here today is going to be in the mid 50s. I'm going to do something I've not done in way over a month. Get out and DRIVE!! :D

• Like 2

Go for it!  Got 5" of the white stuff yesterday so my '91 continues to be covered up in its igloo:(.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, DShip said:

Go for it!  Got 5" of the white stuff yesterday so my '91 continues to be covered up in its igloo:(.

It was a great day for a drive. It was around 55 degrees. I just had on a tee shirt. A little cool with both windows down but it was nice with just the driver's window down. :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Today it was about 55* here in Utah so I decided to tear into my Headlamp Switch since it was not working correctly. I thought it was either one of the contact rocker bars had fallen out of place or there was corrosion on the contacts. Turned out that it was both and since I had done this before (being my 4th time) over the years I decided to make a tutorial on it "1990 Headlight Repair Tutorial". Everything went smooth and in the end I now have a great working switch that should last at least another 5 years or more.

• Like 3

It's been a week and at the risk of losing my reputation of working in the cold it is just that; too cold to swap out the alternators so they are still sitting on my work bench waiting for me to install...

12 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

It's been a week and at the risk of losing my reputation of working in the cold it is just that; too cold to swap out the alternators so they are still sitting on my work bench waiting for me to install...

You might make it living down south after all Dave. My number one rule for working in the cold weather is: "Don't do anything today that you can put off until tomorrow!" :lol:

Well tomorrow is the day. It will be a bit warmer [15-20 degrees] and mostly sunny. I have a couple of errands to run to get the car warmed up which will throw some heat while I swap out the alternator. I'll do one and run it for awhile to make sure it is good and then swap in the other. While I am "testing" I will keep the known good one in the trunk so I can do a swap if needed. 

3 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

Well tomorrow is the day. It will be a bit warmer [15-20 degrees] and mostly sunny. I have a couple of errands to run to get the car warmed up which will throw some heat while I swap out the alternator. I'll do one and run it for awhile to make sure it is good and then swap in the other. While I am "testing" I will keep the known good one in the trunk so I can do a swap if needed. 

sounds like a great day to move to florida.

Can't move. We only have two grand kids and they live less then 2 miles from us. Also we have good paying jobs and don't want to start over again.

• Like 2

Okay tried both of them, one works fine and is quiet. The other one, while it works fine has a bearing noise. The first one I tested is staying in the car, the other is going back into storage to wait for me to do the bearing or use it for parts. The one I had been using is in the trunk as a back up for a week or two until I am sure this replacement one is good.

The one I just installed actually tested "bad" at Advance. It does read a bit low at extended idle [about 12.9-13.1 amps] but when driving delivers 13.7-13.9 all the time with or wothout the headlights on and accessories running. I think it is good, any opinions? I still have the known good one in the trunk.

It must be getting close to spring as I am getting antsy about stuff for the Reattas. So I went "shopping" on Ebay for maintenance items and believe it or not floor mats. I really like the Riv floor mats better then the Reatta ones and I was lucky enough to find a set of tan ones for the Red. I also went looking at r12 freon and scored a couple of cans pretty cheap [anything less then $30.00 a can is cheap in my opinion]. So now I am sitting on 13 cans which is enough to do 4 Reattas.

I also added a ratcheting 10-19mm box wrench set to my inventory of Snap on tools. I used them on my last oil change and on the alternator swap. I really like them. 

70 degree day here today. Took the Reatta out for a short drive. Very enjoyable! I removed the driver's side visor to make a repair to the floppy end. I also replaced the heater blower fan.

Supposed to be cold and snow tonight. The car is back in the garage under cover.

Edited by fordrodsteven (see edit history)

On 7/8/2016 at 7:53 AM, Ronnie said:

Here are more photos of Dave's taillight when he installed it. One is with the lights on and the other is with the lights off. Beautiful cars Dave!!!

taillight--6-7-16-ON.JPGtaillight--6-7-16-OFF.JPG

OMJ this is the results of that post you looked up and gave me the "thumbs up" for. Just go to post about 516 of "What did you do to your Reatta today" and you will see a short discussion of Dashmaster, Ronnie, myself and others about taillights.

That's after 1 coat of "Spar" varnish. You can see my house in the taillight. That is the reflection you want. It's also wash and wear, no extra work when cleaning your car. Dashmaster did the same prcedure. Once again about post 516.

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

Just go to post about 516 of "What did you do to your Reatta today" and you will see a short discussion of Dashmaster, Ronnie, myself and others about taillights.

That is really a great discussion about refinishing taillights. It's a shame that it is buried in this long fit-um-all thread. If you would like I could pull all those posts about refinishing taillights out and put them in their own topic so they can be found easier. You started that discussion so let me know if you want me to do that.