SeanR

What did you do to your Reatta today? <ongoing thread>

668 posts in this topic

89RedDG...you read my mind.  I bought all three products recently while on Amazon to redo the rub strip.  I don't plan on removing the rear bumper or components.  I'll just do a lot of masking.

1 person likes this

Bass is really good inside car, Distance matches the lower wavelengths very well in this position. I am also not getting any rattles or other odd panel vibrations, Lost very little trunk space and can remove the spare tire. The Human Ear can sense bass 2 ways, direct vibration of the eardrum and or able to hear the wave lengths. Lower Wavelengths are very long.  This is why Subs in trucks sound better outside the cab is due to not enough of the wavelength for you ear to pickup will fit inside the cab, inside the bass you hear is more from the Vibration from the sub. When I Installed Car Stereo's professionally, we had deaf customers that would buy large amp and only subs, they could not hear it but could pickup the direct vibrations. 

2 people like this

replaced the crappy previously replaced aftermarket antenna with a new one, hopefully of better quality. Found the correct adapter (although descriptions didn't make this an easy task) working 100% now...on to the next little project...(hopefully doing the rear lens with the spar coating and other odds and ends before getting to the driver side window motor., 

1 person likes this

Sunday I decided to take my recently purchased 16 way seat and install it on the passenger side of the Red. This will give me two 16 way seats in the car. It was easier then I thought it would be. First I removed the control pod on the side of the seat and removed the button panel from the pod. Then I removed the front bolts holding the seat rails to the bottom of the seat and slid the seat pod switch wires along the rail, out the front and then back under the rail on the other side of the seat. I then put the switch panel back in the pod and the pod back onto the "new" side of the seat.

I know the guide plate on the pod will be backwards but who really looks down at them anyway? There is one for sale on Ebay but I am not paying $125.00 for one. I have a client who owns a sign shop. If I spend money on that I will spend it with someone who does business with me [and I may get it cheaper].

The only real complication I had was one motor was bad so I replaced the plate that has the 3 motors riveted to it. I will be installing the seat today. 

1 person likes this

15 minutes ago, HuevosRanchero said:

replaced the crappy previously replaced aftermarket antenna with a new one, hopefully of better quality. Found the correct adapter (although descriptions didn't make this an easy task) working 100% now...on to the next little project...(hopefully doing the rear lens with the spar coating and other odds and ends before getting to the driver side window motor., 

Good luck with the rear lens. I am sure you will like the end product. I am doing the Black's taillight before I put it away for the summer {I just got the Red out]. This time I am not taking the taillight off, I will just tape everything off , wet sand it, and apply just one coat of spar varnish. You might want to review the instructions so it goes well for you.

2 people like this

6 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

Good luck with the rear lens. I am sure you will like the end product. I am doing the Black's taillight before I put it away for the summer {I just got the Red out]. This time I am not taking the taillight off, I will just tape everything off , wet sand it, and apply just one coat of spar varnish. You might want to review the instructions so it goes well for you.

yes seeing the results inspired me to tackle this process next and its a definite eyesore on a high mileage car that sat too much before I acquired it. 

1 person likes this

Just got back in and the seat swap turned out great. All the motors work and the seat leather is in great shape. Now just have to do the plate as 89RDG suggests.

2 people like this

Got it printed off. Thanks!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Today, I went to use my keyless entry FOB for the '91 Reatta and it decided not to function.  So, I went through the reprogramming process only to have both FOB's fail...would not lock/unlock when I pushed the unlock buttons.  Did some investigating and found that the keyless entry module was kaput.  Arms aren't long enough to get to the module through the left hand side within the trunk.  So, I went the route of pulling the driver's rear panels off and bingo, it was easy to get to.  Had a spare, so I swapped it out and have to say I was able to reprogram the FOB's successfully.  Noticed Mr. Farnelle had one for sale on EBay.  Purchased it to put in inventory in case my '92 Riviera ends up with the same problem.

Edited by DShip (see edit history)
1 person likes this

Went to Gibson's yesterday for a drivers side outside mirror for her mini van. While ther I thought I would go looking for another Teves pump/motor. Found one off a recently junked [3/17] Cadillac. Also last week bought one from a yard near West Bend so now have two in inventory. I had burned up a pump/motor last week which left me with none for inventory. Had to correct that.

When I installed the replacement pump/motor the pressure switch didn't work, but the accumulator was excellant. Stripped the accumulator off the burned up pum/motor and put it on the shelf and swapped in the pressure switch and all is good. 

I just crafted and installed a 170 degree thermostat from a HyperTech Power Stat #1007.  It is a dead ringer in all respects.  I had to grind down the flange to 44mm but that was simple enough.  There is a post on it for those interested. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Just completed a major project on the Red. Kendall, my mechanic friend and I swapped out the Red's engine for a rebuilt one with a 1988 cam, valve job, and 20 over 9.0 compression pistons. Also installed a rebuilt transmission with a new rack and pinion. Started on Monday finished Wednesday afternoon. Alignment is scheduled for Monday. I can already tell performance is better.

Already had installed some great looking cornering lamps, fog lights, like new 1990 floor mats and a 16 way seat for the passenger. Soon to install a dash and then a front end repaint for stone chips.

Looking forward to a great driving summer...

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)
3 people like this

Got the alignment today. Car starts, runs and drives great. I went into ECM diagnostics through the CRT and watched the car go through the gears. I tried various accelerations and then a hard acceleration at 50 and she downshifted and then back to overdrive as it should when I eased off on the accelerator. Did the same with a "lighter" acceleration.

I think I am set with both a good engine and tranny.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

The renovation on the Red continues. Yesterday I took the drivers inner door panel off and painted the door panel with a color I had matched. This car had been a Florida and there was some discoloration so I just taped everything off and sprayed it. Turned out great. I liked what I did so much that I spot painted a bit on the passenger door panel then on some threshold trim.

While I had the door panel off I swapped out the door actuator as I noticed the rubber boot at the little push rod was starting to tear.

Then dropped the Red off at my friends bodyshop [He works at a dealership] for front fenders and hood repaint. Should get it back Tuesday or so.   

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Hi Guys, So today I decided to put the Reatta up on the lift to check out why me rear drivers side brake is rattling so badly. I looked at it and really didn't see anything wrong or anything loose. Here's where one thing leads to another...... I went to the front brakes just to look at them and found the back side of the right hand rotor had two grooves in it. I checked the pads and they still have a lot of meat. I must have missed seeing the grooves when I put the new pads on. So I took the front apart to get the rotors turned. Of course I must sand blast and paint the brackets and other hardware. LOL. I figured while I was there I might as well check out the ABS sensors. The gears had a lot of surface corrosion so I cleaned those up. Then I unbolted the sensors. I was going to change them out with the replacement set I bought from Dave last year. Once I pulled them away I could see they were pretty crudded up. I cleaned them and put them back together figuring if it fixes the light then I still have an extra set of good sensors. They don't look that hard to change and I can change them later if need be. So while I'm here I replaced the cracked outer CV boot on the driver's side. As I was leaving the garage to go into the house for supper I looked one more time at the rear brakes. I noticed that I have the two anti rattle clips on the passenger side but none on the drivers side. I looked through my spare parts and found a pair of clips. Guess I'll be doing that next!

Oops - I forgot to mention the intermediate cable! I have been in contact with a guy named Peter at Inline Tube. He says If I can send him a cable he can get the dimensions off of it and set up to make a replacement. He calculates that the cost for the first cable might be around $100. My cable on my car is good. I was thinking I might pull the cable and send it to him for the dimensions. It just kills me that I'll pay him $100 for a cable I really don't need but then it would be in their inventory catalog for all of Reatta world. Yeah.... Maybe I'll pull the cable off my car tomorrow.

Edited by fordrodsteven (see edit history)
1 person likes this

57 minutes ago, fordrodsteven said:

I have been in contact with a guy named Peter at Inline Tube. He says If I can send him a cable he can get the dimensions off of it and set up to make a replacement. He calculates that the cost for the first cable might be around $100. My cable on my car is good. I was thinking I might pull the cable and send it to him for the dimensions. It just kills me that I'll pay him $100 for a cable I really don't need but then it would be in their inventory catalog for all of Reatta world

That's very commendable of you, Sir. As many parts for our cars become "unobtainium" it is going to require us to contact outside fabricator Shops, and loan them parts for duplication or modification. Most anything can be made now days, and more and more Shops are realizing there's a Market need out there. Thank you for helping others.

1 person likes this

Okay - so you guys that "know" can start openly giving me some "loll's". How naïve could I be to think that clean the ABS sensors and gears would make light shut off? Oh well. I assembled things enough to start the car and see if the light went off. It didn't - but you guys knew that would happen. Lol. As I said earlier I have a known good set of front sensor so I can troubleshoot and change out whatever is needed. As I keep telling my brother-in-law.... I've got time - I'm retired!

Stopped in to see how the Red was doing with the repaint. It is in primer and should be finished tomorrow [Wednesday]. I will be out on appointments so hope to pick it up on Thursday. Can't wait...