What did you do to your Reatta today? <ongoing thread>

SeanR

I have been getting an occasional warning that my throttle postion sensor is not reading. So today I looked at it and the connector is breaking up and needs replacement. Out to Gibson's for a "top of the engine harness". I grabbed the leads [and connectors] for the EGR, MAF sensor, throttle position sensor, Idle control, etc. All the locking clips were broke off so now I should be good. 

I'll be out in the garage soldering if anyone needs me...

BTW whom ever it was that wants the plastic cap for the EGR valve I have one. $10.00 including freight. PM me if interested.

Went to the junkyard today. Got a new radio, ECC and kick panel. Place had five Reattas. Pretty much all gone though. Tomorrow is going to be installation day. I’m keeping the ECC as a spare and am hoping this radio will have a working cassette player. Or I can make one out of the two I have. 

BAE3CDEE-66D5-454E-A17D-C8C5ECABAAB6.jpeg

D3C0FC61-9C66-44B3-92A3-BEFB5B51B388.jpeg

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 11:45 AM, DAVES89 said:

I have been getting an occasional warning that my throttle postion sensor is not reading. So today I looked at it and the connector is breaking up and needs replacement. Out to Gibson's for a "top of the engine harness". I grabbed the leads [and connectors] for the EGR, MAF sensor, throttle position sensor, Idle control, etc. All the locking clips were broke off so now I should be good. 

I'll be out in the garage soldering if anyone needs me...

BTW whom ever it was that wants the plastic cap for the EGR valve I have one. $10.00 including freight. PM me if interested.

I will take it.  Please send me a Paypal invoice to corvetteronw@gmail.com

Over the wekend I did a favor for a guy who does a lot of woodworking [He's actually a High School shop teacher]. He asked if there was anything he could make for me. I told him what I needed was some 1988/89 door pull retainers. He said he could make them out of plastic but he could also make some wood ones. I thought that was an idea worth trying so we will see what he comes up with. The sample I gave him was out of the Red's passenger door [it was already starting to break] so he is using that to make one. He said he would use Maple and then shape it to fit. I thought that I would use our existing caps and hold them on with double stick tape.

Will keep the forum posted.

First ride this morning. No instrumentation save for watching the knock counts, after checking to be sure knock sensor is working. So far no big issues evident. It looks like the boost is under better control this time, intake manifold pressure rises to 5 psi at about 3500rpm under part throttle, and is stable with a little more throttle. No knock counts at all while driving but trying to be gentle while I feel it out. Darn thing feels good.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Drove my “new to me “ 90 red convertible in the Woodward Dream Cruise. Didn’t see any other Reattas. Couldn’t believe how many people wanted to know more about the car, had some people run into the traffic to see what it was. Great showing it off!1E79DE97-9C66-4D3F-9AD3-B31D0F3693D7.thumb.jpeg.e34d24e43fad94fc8b18c0859bd1b154.jpeg2D1F9612-EDDE-4285-83DF-7C8AA5DD80F7.thumb.jpeg.031e5227bb8629276180b72d87ef8882.jpeg

• Like 3

About a month ago a Reatta came in the local You Pick [Gibson's]. I grabbed the CRT [failed in less then 1 month returned for credit] and the IPC. Everything worked great except the the amber anti lock brake light. Swapped in a new bulb and it works. Now that it's in I found out I have an intermittent failure of a sensor lead... Oh joy!

2 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

About a month ago a Reatta came in the local You Pick [Gibson's]. I grabbed the CRT [failed in less then 1 month returned for credit] and the IPC. Everything worked great except the the amber anti lock brake light. Swapped in a new bulb and it works. Now that it's in I found out I have an intermittent failure of a sensor lead... Oh joy!

so i can remove the amber bulb for my abs?i thought it was soldered in.i was trying to avoid using black tape.

Had the R12 a/c system recharged today after I replaced the compressor, condenser and accumulator. Despite holding perfect vacuum at home, discovered the high side Schrader valve leaked a bit and had a devil of a time finding the correct fine threaded replacement. All went well after that.

our local club drove out to a restoration shop...they were not working on any Reattas but they did build the Ridler award car last year and it was in the entry area.

Here are a few photos of the shop.

DSCN1101.JPG

DSCN1086.JPG

58 wagon 2.jpg

DSCN1098.JPG

57 98.jpg

DSCN1099.JPGforgot to include the only Buick that was there.....

DSCN1097.JPG

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I had a fuel pump installed on the Red today. Starts and runs much better. I had been dealing with an issue of cycling the key to "run" then off and back to start. Then it would fire off. But then sometimes it would idle rough.

A week ago I replaced the fuel regulator as that was going bad. And a month prior to that I took the Red in for a fuel rail/injector cleaning.

But back to the fuel pump and regulator. 30 years and 282,000 miles. That's good service!

I started my 90 Reatta Conv for the first time in a while inspired by this forum string, but I didn't drive it.  The fuel pressure seems ok and the car seems to be doing well, but the first picture is a clue as to why I'm not driving it out in a minute.

Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 1.01.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 1.00.10 PM.png

Nearly finished the back brakes on my '90 convert. Partly bled, and hope to finish it tomorrow, then go for a drive!

It started out like a regular simple brake job, then I decided to buy new rotors, as the old ones, though they looked good, had been cut to 40 and 50 thou under spec. But the shop ordered fronts instead, then it needed calipers, and had a seized right rear brake cable. Fortunately all of the parts were available on a next day order.

Here in the Great White North (Canada) parts are often tougher to get than in the US, but thanks to the Reatta being a GM product, I can still get them.

If all goes well, I'll post a picture or two tomorrow.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

I had some red pinstriping left over from another project and thought I would try it on my silver 88.  It stood out nicely but I found it to be too bright.  I did not remove the charcoal striping that came with the car so I just laid the red on top of it.

After a few weeks I decided it was too bright so I bought some burgundy striping of a different design.  I think it looks more reserved and compliments the silver.

I too find it interesting when folks ask if it is a Riveara or say somethings like, "You don't see many of these anymore!"

DSCF2332.JPG

DSCF2405.JPG

• Like 2

My wife and I returned from our vacation and after 3 weeks of not driving anything I sure missed my Reatta. It felt good to drive one, in this case the'vert. The Red will get driven today.

Saw a lot of Fiats, Opels and Smart cars. I was surprised that with the narrow streets there were a couple of bigger American cars, Jeeps, Chevy's. Didn't see any Buicks, but did see a white Rolls Royce and a red Maserati.

Good to be back. 

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)

I asked [and received] permission from my wife to put the 'vert into winter storage. This means that the Black comes out. Started quickly and runs great [other then an occasional amber ABS brake warning light]. I will check out the front leads and replace the offending lead.

Feels great to get it back out again!

1 hour ago, DAVES89 said:

I asked [and received] permission from my wife to put the 'vert into winter storage. This means that the Black comes out. Started quickly and runs great [other then an occasional amber ABS brake warning light]. I will check out the front leads and replace the offending lead.

Feels great to get it back out again!

I'll bet you're look forward to your first winter snow.   Or have you already had it? :)

1 hour ago, SteveT said:

would love to turbo one and swap to a six speed from a g6 , are these changes programmable into the ecm?

I would give that a qualified yes. There have been a few that have done supercharged and manual transaxle swaps, Daniel being the most recent and modern. No one has done much with the turbocharger aside from the factory prototypes 30ish years ago. I do it as a mental and curiosity exercise. The ecm is really pretty flexible and can accommodate many changes but I am just feeling my way through and it's almost time to put the car away :((   From a purely power potential, turbocharging has more potential, so it must be used with a fair amount of restraint unless a whole host of other things are upgraded. 

4 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Do you have any idea how many were built?  Did any of them go to private owners or just to GM for testing?

That would be interesting if any information could be tracked down. I have looked at as much information on the factory cars as I could find and the fwd turbo iterations appear fairly similar to what I have done but with the older 3.8fwd engine. The hi-boost rwd looks to be an old style GN engine and drivetrain. There have been different people that have done turbocharging to various fwd GM cars but no kits I could ever find. 

• Thanks 1

I got the Black out of storage on Monday and put the 'vert away. Heard a grinding noise at the passenger rear brakes so I am thinking that I will replace the wheel bearing. The Red also needs an oil change so will do that as well.

Looks like a Reatta day... 

7 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

I got the Black out of storage on Monday and put the 'vert away. Heard a grinding noise at the passenger rear brakes so I am thinking that I will replace the wheel bearing. The Red also needs an oil change so will do that as well.

Looks like a Reatta day... 

Got the oil change done on the Red. Now going out to give her a wash.

The Black's rear wheel bearing is done as well. I did address the passenger side front wheel speed sensor that has gone bad. When I attempted to remove the sensor, the sensor head was rusted in place. So I broke the head out leaving the barrel in place. I had a real nice lead in inventory that was missing the aluminum barre,l so I just put this one in place using the existing barrel. Took it for a drive and it kept activating the anti brake feature. So I put it back on blocks removed the wheel and using a wooden block tapped the head farther into the barrel. Now it works fine. Applied caulk around the head to keep moisture from going into the head and put the wheel back on. 

Hope I'm good for a few years. [I actually did this procedure before on the Black's driver side front years ago and it is still working].

• Like 1

I know it's not Reatta related but it could be, as the topic is rust. My neighbor has been after me to install a trailer hitch on his 2014 Nissan Pathfinder. I snapped two trim screws that screw through the rear storage bin through the floor. After I got the tow bracket off which was required to install the hitch all the threaded holes I was to use to mount the hitch were rusted and required the use of a thread chaser.

You guys in the non rust belt states have it made. We don't have the deterioration of rubber but dealing with rust is a pain.

• Like 1