SeanR

What did you do to your Reatta today? <ongoing thread>

668 posts in this topic

Rec'd Delco unit 5/11. Cleaned it up a bit, will install in a few days.:)

Installed unit Sunday. Test drive was good, haven't had a chance to really drive yet. Thanks to Padgett and Ronnie for his link on installation info. Also thnx to DAVES89. Actual time was about 45 minutes, including cleaning old goo and other areas. Spent another hour or so looking for a small extention & nut that fell into the depths of hell. Never found either one. I must take credit for not wussing out and using all 3 mounting nuts. A couple of cold ones as per procedures helped.;)

Replaced passenger side torque rollers in the headlight motor. Such a PITA to remove the headlight bucket just so one can get to the motor! Once removed, the motor cover screws and rebuild went really smooth. :)

Latest adopted, distant relative of the Riviera received a (practically) new CD player (thanks to Jim Finn), new door speakers and a final coat of wax. Waiting for customized floor mats to arrive from CAR Motorsports: Embroidered Premium Quality Floor Mats then she sleeps soundly in storage until the Reatta Rally.

after getting good medical news (no surgery at this time), i prepared and painted the underbody with por-15 products and rust encapsulator spray on the hard to reach spots.

was happy to find very little surface rust and what i thought was rust, at a quick glance when i dropped the fuel tank a couple weeks ago, was actually what appeared to be rusty antifreeze from a past blown radiator or hose...

now, after my obligatory "cold one", i think i'll clean up and paint the inner fender wheel-wells, since she's still up on jack stands. :D

Today I installed a one touch window module on my driver's side window.

Cool. Care to write something up for archives?

Ronnie, If you want to post it, go ahead.

post-41105-143138971244_thumb.jpg

RONNIE did you see this???
Jon, I did see the wiring diagram but to be honest I don't know what to make of it without any details about the module. If you could write something up to go along with the wiring diagram I would be happy to post it if it would help others install the auto-down module.

Yesterday started my '88 and heard screaming from under the hood. Something was seizing against the serpentine belt. Tried to do the tube to the ear to the part thing but could not be sure where the sound was coming from....my best guess was the A/C, but it was giving cold air or the idler arm or power steering ( the water pump was new but also a suspect ....could have gotten a bad one).

The screaming stopped after driving it around the block today so I decided to take it to my mechanic. Just got the word that it is the A/C compressor...must be a bearing. Now my problem is that this system is CFC-12. The shop recommends a 134a conversion but I've heard bad things can happen if you do that. 1234yf is coming as a 134a replacement but it is not yet available here. So what do I do, put back the original and find someone to recharge the CFC-12 then wait for 1234yf in the time that buys or give up and do the 134a relacement. That's what I did today but what do I do tomorrow?

AC pulley and bearing could be replaced in the car without even cracking the system assuming your mechanic is correct about the problem. Not the easiest thing to do in the car, but do-able.

Have to take age of current compressor into account and status of rest of the system. But could buy you more time and save you money for now.

I've bought about seven Reattas; all but one with less then 56K miles. Within 2-3 months of ownership, I've had to replace four a/c compressors. I assume the lack of miles on the odometer (and hence lack of exercise of the compressor) is why they failed. They all were also CFC-12 now converted to R134A. Not entirely sure what to make of all this but after the second failure, I consider any car not having been converted has a compressor on the brink of failure (and I negotiate accordingly).

So...just curious if there was ever a TSB or of known issues with the original compressor? Or is it just a matter of age and lack of usage (maintenance)?

Posted (edited)

is it just a matter of age and lack of usage (maintenance)?

yes! :D

probably most are likely to age of components, and car owner manuals always used to say to run the a/c a few times in the winter to lubricate the a/c system.

but the "components" only last for so long. not only cars, but not too many house a/c's, etc. have been around and working without proper maintenance for 20 plus years...

Edited by Corvanti (see edit history)

Yesterday started my '88 and heard screaming from under the hood. Something was seizing against the serpentine belt. Tried to do the tube to the ear to the part thing but could not be sure where the sound was coming from....my best guess was the A/C, but it was giving cold air or the idler arm or power steering ( the water pump was new but also a suspect ....could have gotten a bad one).

The screaming stopped after driving it around the block today so I decided to take it to my mechanic. Just got the word that it is the A/C compressor...must be a bearing. Now my problem is that this system is CFC-12. The shop recommends a 134a conversion but I've heard bad things can happen if you do that. 1234yf is coming as a 134a replacement but it is not yet available here. So what do I do, put back the original and find someone to recharge the CFC-12 then wait for 1234yf in the time that buys or give up and do the 134a relacement. That's what I did today but what do I do tomorrow?

It's the next day....decided to stick with the CFC-12. The cost to restore (including compressor and charge) $730, cost to convert to 134a $700 estimate. The seizing compressor was 24 years old...Thanks for the feedback

So $30 more to convert (probably what they charge for a flush) ?

The cost of a complete 134a conversion is about the same as replacing a compressor and recharge on an R12 system. The high cost of R12 offsets the cost of the additional components required with the conversion. Most people look to the future and anticipate needing refrigerant in the future and consider the 134a conversion more cost effective even though it costs about the same as the R12 repair. ($700)

"refreshed" the rear taillight plastic. started with 1000 wet sandpaper, then "quixx acrylic scratch remover" - it seems to work better than "plasti-x". then went to 2000 wet and another app of quixx. a light buff and it looks "almost" new! :)

next? still have many fixes on my "list"... ;)

The cost of a complete 134a conversion is about the same as replacing a compressor and recharge on an R12 system. The high cost of R12 offsets the cost of the additional components required with the conversion. Most people look to the future and anticipate needing refrigerant in the future and consider the 134a conversion more cost effective even though it costs about the same as the R12 repair. ($700)

In my case, I was concerned with the quality of the flush. It is almost impossible to get all the mineral oil out of the system. That's important because the ester oil used in 134a doesn't mix with the residual mineral oil and creates a sludge. The sludge, if in sufficient quantities, will eventually fail the compressor and block the dryer. Nowadays, its hard to find shops that have CFC 12 recovery equipment you can trust...so if eventually if all I do is buy time and it fails again I might be able to use the new standard 1234yf which I hear, but am not sure, will be compatible with mineral oil. Besides, CFC 12 seems colder versus a 134a retrofit.

Installed sequential turn signals from Webelectric, also put a flow master Camaro dual exhaust. Both mods done to my white/burgundy '89.

Changed from the Magnavox to Delco coil pack and ICM ....$25 from the local U Pull It. But now my 88 is running a bit rough, not as smooth as it was with the Magnavox coils. Maybe I have a dead coil, need to check it tomorrow though. Any other suggestions?

Installed sequential turn signals from Webelectric, also put a flow master Camaro dual exhaust. Both mods done to my white/burgundy '89.
Photos of the exhaust please.

Posted (edited)

Photos of the exhaust please.

Here's a video of the turn signals and the exhaust:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qarwryEcwCg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

EDIT -- Follow this link for a higher quality version:

Edited by NCReatta (see edit history)

Looks and sounds really good. Where did you get the chrome tips? They look slightly oval shape in the video. Are they?

Looks and sounds really good. Where did you get the chrome tips? They look slightly oval shape in the video. Are they?

Thanks!

The muffler and oval shaped tips both came off Recian's '89 I bought a few months back. They were on the car when he bought it, so I'm not sure where they came from.

Marck, that really sounds awesome!!! :cool:

do you know what year(s) camaro & specs it came from?

i want to add that, and the tail lights to my ever-growing list. :)

Thanks!

The muffler and oval shaped tips both came off Recian's '89 I bought a few months back. They were on the car when he bought it, so I'm not sure where they came from.

i just removed a single outlet flowmaster off my car because it droned too bad above 45 mph.does yours drone?do you know what series it was?