1929 Ford Coupe-Rusty to Solid

• 3 weeks later...

thanks alot scott!!

well just got back from a big vacation/work trip . wisconsin to work on a 40 merc convertible then to austin texas for the lonestar round up!! just got back today and decided to do some work!! man it feels good to work in my own shop again. gonna start on the cowl and work my way back .

a little rot to start off with

f4ebdd77.jpg

a patch panel for the most part that actually fit . i didnt use the beak in the front though it was crooked where the model orig was actually straight

b198b3a3.jpg

after a little tig welding and some hammer and grinding

57817590.jpg

well everything was going to smooth....something had to not fit right.

repop subrails are the culprit!

as you can see the pad where the subrail connector rivets to the inner connectors isnt even close . the orig connector had a step in this area to move it back the 3/8 of an inch so the pieces mated as you can see in the pictures.

e3d2fd3e.jpg

and the other side showing the same

99f69f94.jpg

well got the front subframe connectors all buttoned up today..

had to have a slit put in them so they would sit flush onto the other piece like a stock one would

4bafe2bb.jpg

after being widened and riveted together

8eb79014.jpg

5416cc93.jpg

in place. not rivited in just holding it in place

3fd8c2b2.jpg

7d4835d0.jpg

and both

1dfc890b.jpg

now its time to put it on the jig and make sure we are square before i go any further

• 2 weeks later...

well started on the subrail patches because i picked up a frame off a friend of mine ...

cut out the mess

7fad6d16.jpg

new patch welded and finished

ecb2440d.jpg

9a4d600e.jpg

well then i ran out of argon for the tig so it turned into squirt gun sunday (mig) for the drivers side

didnt get to finish it tonight just welded it in

6ea84e0f.jpg

well apparently there are no repops made of this connector from the door post to the cowl so i had to whip up 2 of em .

heres the first side. they resemble the original but the og pieces have a shape pressed into them . i cant get the shape pressed into 16 gauge plus they are never to be seen again once the car goes back together

9c274742.jpg

and i started on the other side

a39eb034.jpg

finished up the drivers side bracket this morning thats they dont repop

cd82ce41.jpg

then set the seat pan in transferred the rivet holes and got everything lined up there. the rivets arnt set just keeping the panel aligned . i didnt put the rear pan in because it will be much easier to work on the rear of the car with out that piece in.

e03df768.jpg

moving back ward to where the new subframe was once welded on . it needed some help in my opinion

b9aa294b.jpg

a few patches later and a little tig welding its looking a little better

c740060f.jpg

and the connection on the drivers side after

d1d09b06.jpg

got all the welds smoothed out

• 1 month later...

this was a random hole cut here where there was a body mount

997dd898.jpg

had to patch it before i put the subframe in

874b1b4c.jpg

the subframe was cut to close to the brace so i couldnt clean up the weld nicely. so i cut out some of the new subframe so i could achieve that

5afc889f.jpg

and the new connection

6de9a819.jpg

put a patch in this riser .no sense on getting a repop when only 1 tiny section was rotted out

7d32dbde.jpg

got it all smoothed out

4f06260d.jpg

this piece in my opinion this rear panel below the decklid is the biggest pain to get out of an A

ad8bdff8.jpg

after i got it out had to redrill and tap all 8 screw holes in the rear subrail

3c170cc5.jpg

well up front to a rotten door pillar

a680dfee.jpg

a little brace so i can fix the bracing

718e1114.jpg

bent this up made the step with a bead roller and all welded up ready to get covered in sheet metal!!

294fd3ef.jpg

well got the quarter patched and the wheel well a quarter of the way in

i also wonder why they make the patches so horrible ? i mean come on almost a quarter inch short isnt from die wear!!

dfbab42c.jpg

22218619-1.jpg

got the quarter squared away today

and heres a few holes of what was left after the patch was in

63c21897.jpg

IMG_0827.jpg

IMG_0828.jpg

and this is it all finished up

DSC05599.jpg

DSC05602.jpg

DSC05601.jpg

DSC05600.jpg

thanks Larry & first born! if you are ever in Pittsburgh you are more then welcome to stop by

well took a run to snyders today picked up the rear patch for Mile's coupe as well as a truck full of other things

heres the problem .

8bb18205.jpg

which in-turn sucked in the trunk gap

a620a6f1.jpg

a little brass and a double panel!!

501e3853.jpg

tacked in

7317b950.jpg

about 75% done

0663b255.jpg

1a8cbfbc.jpg

no real complaints with the panel either a little tweaking here and there but no major surgery to it yet !

Guest Killerbunny

Amazing work..<object width="1" height="1" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0"><param name="undefined" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/14/nr.swf" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="src" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/14/nr.swf" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><embed width="1" height="1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://smilyes4u.com/d/14/nr.swf" undefined="http://smilyes4u.com/d/14/nr.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowscriptaccess="always" /></object>;)

thanks folks!!

one of the biggest PAINS in putting together a model a is this panel.

cde5e0e0.jpg

its a horrible fit from the get go . the "new bracing" is dreadful .

notice the giant twist

fc58f6c8.jpg

the orig panel wasnt the best . pinholes everywhere . i transferred the orig bracing to the new skin . it fit alot better after that

49950d6e.jpg

e284e544.jpg

thanks luv2 !

shop organizing day car needed some sunlight

39e953ec.jpg

well the repop curved inner panel come with this fabulous trunk latch installed..

31cf4aa0.jpg

very happy Miles saved the one from the car.

finally got everything lined up and fitting as it should

2003356b.jpg

2e30f860.jpg

the new parts with the old latch installed. works great!!

6777abb3.jpg

It amazes me that companies will sell poor fitting and incorrect panels as you have shown in your various posts. Either they don't know (ie, don't use what they make) and/or no one who uses them provides feedback............or they just don't care.

Anyway, your capabilities and your persistance in making the pieces correct are impressive, Flop!

I do have a question, Flop - it appears that you mostly use TIG welding versus MIG welding. Are the TIG welds easier to finish off than the MIG welds? What are the major advantages of TIG for the type of work you are doing on these bodies?

thanks alot r1lark

ahhh they know how bad their panels are . ive called numerous occasions when i spend good money on a patch and it fits like garbage . usually they are a good start and need about an hour of tweaking to get it to fit right.

tig is amazing for sheetmetal . the weld is much more flush to the metal then a mig(being easier to grind) also it acts a lot like the orig metal when you are working it with the hammer and dolly and wont crack like a mig weld when hammering on it .

heres the quarter patch . again about an eighth inch short .

03af8aca.jpg

4ea568bb.jpg

e006966a.jpg

• 1 month later...

some of the last work in this shop!! moving to a new place next week!!

bunch of progress

3eaa435c.jpg

passenger side finished ! pinholes in door and the under side of the panel in front of the door repaired . wheel well a quarter patch a corner patch and cowl patch !

6eaa4280.jpg

3b4254dd.jpg

Guest Davethewave

Fun watching someone else work. Threads like this really motivate me to re visit tig. Very nice. Dave the Wave

Guest CoupeDriver

Flop, Awesome Work!

i noticed the Wheel Well Patch Panel has a recess at the front ( I assume it's recessed so the fender sits right? )( Most Repops seem to be flat), Did you put that recess in, or did it come that way from the Supplier?