Potter trunk

avantey

I just got this trunk at an auction today. It is made by Potter Mfg, Jackson, MI. With the bands and wood floor it is similar to the trunk on my '31 Hupp so I am guessing the age at 1930 +/-. It measures 35-1/2"L x 16" D x 14"H and is in good original condition. There is no key but otherwise complete.

Does anyone know what cars were outfitted with Potter trunks? Any other info would also be appreciated. I will probably bring it to Hershey in the fall after I learn more.

Thanks-

post-31066-143138878024_thumb.jpg

post-31066-143138878027_thumb.jpg

post-31066-14313887803_thumb.jpg

post-31066-143138878032_thumb.jpg

post-31066-143138878035_thumb.jpg

A very nice trunk! It probably is from the latter part of the "separate trunk" era and has mounting holes drilled in its plywood bottom, as opposed to exterior leather straps used for mounting the earlier trunks. It could be used on whatever car's luggage rack it would fit, not necessarily a single make.

The design was likely for a coupe or roadster in mind, as sedan trunks often were slanted to follow the sloping rear of the car's body. Potter Mfg. Co. was one of a number of trunk manufacturers of the era, which made "universal" ones and also some tailored for a spexcific application.

The car that makes Potter trunks immortal is the '33-'34 Ford, which had one, in which fugitive gangsters Bonnie and Clyde were gunned down in a bloddy ambush.

Dave, thanks for the info. You are right, I should have said the bands are metal and the floor is drilled. And the trunk on my Hupp is definitely 'fitted' to the rear of the sedan body. I was thinking the rounded corners went with GM body styling better than Ford so it is interesting that Ford was a customer.

The car that makes Potter trunks immortal is the '33-'34 Ford, which had one, in which fugitive gangsters Bonnie and Clyde were gunned down in a bloddy ambush.

The trunks on 1933-34 Fords was optional. The one above looks a lot different than this one. Did they offer more than one type?

post-33613-143138879066_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The Potter Trunk for the 34 Ford sedans or phaetons was a form fit trunk that fit tight up against the body. The trunk pictured in the initial post was built to sit on a luggage rack. Probably a universal fit model. I would guess the 34 Ford Potter Manufactured trunk was their best seller, as it was sold by Ford Dealers as an authorized accessory for $37.50. The spare tire could be mounted on the back of the trunk.

I think Potter was primarily an after market accessory manufacturer, like

Gar Wood who made 34 Ford skirts and wooden boats. Potter Mfg. may have also made approved accessories for other automakers than Ford.

• 10 months later...
Guest Car Parts For Sale

Hi, newbie... I have a nice old Potter Trunk for sale as well. Mine is in the basic Black and is slightly taller @ 32"L-16"D-18"H in similiar condidition chrome is better on mine, some slight dents on one corner and the paint has some age but should be an easy 100% restoration to shiney new with little effort. honest 7.5 or 8 out of 10 condiditon.

post-91222-143141744984_thumb.jpg

I hope its OK to post something for sale here... I found this thread in a search and thought it fit well here.

Email for price, I am fair, have lots of odd parts, 1930's Chevy Rims, 31 Olds Power Axel Shaft..... Lots of Old NYS licence plate pairs. Etc.

Thanks Guy's Nice forum...! Lots of good information... to bad I am getting out of the Old Car Hobby.... just can't afford it anymore since lost my regular income...

randydecker@roadrunner dot Com

Hi, newbie... I have a nice old Potter Trunk for sale as well. Mine is in the basic Black and is slightly taller @ 32"L-16"D-18"H in similiar condidition chrome is better on mine, some slight dents on one corner and the paint has some age but should be an easy 100% restoration to shiney new with little effort. honest 7.5 or 8 out of 10 condiditon.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]177315[/ATTACH]

I hope its OK to post something for sale here... I found this thread in a search and thought it fit well here.

Email for price, I am fair, have lots of odd parts, 1930's Chevy Rims, 31 Olds Power Axel Shaft..... Lots of Old NYS licence plate pairs. Etc.

Thanks Guy's Nice forum...! Lots of good information... to bad I am getting out of the Old Car Hobby.... just can't afford it anymore since lost my regular income...

randydecker@roadrunner dot Com

You should probably set up a new post for your ad and in the "Buy/Sell" forum. It will get lost in this thread. John

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I just purchased a Potter Mfg. Co  trunk also.  It is in incredible condition.  It appears never to have been used.  There is some minor scratching and scuffing on the exterior due to the storage in the attic.  It is black with chrome corners, latches, handle brackets and hinges. The chrome is gorgeous! No rust or pitting.  The latches each have integrated locks (no keys were included)  The dimensions are 18" high, 16.5" deep, 36.5" wide.  The leather handles are somewhat dry , but intact and usable.

The wooden bottom is perfect with 4 drilled holes.  This trunk does not appear to have even been mounted .  It evidently was used for storage in the attic.

Does anyone know what this trunk is worth in 2020?  My wife does not have the same appreciation for such interesting "stuff".  It looks even better than the pictures now that it has been cleaned and the chrome shined!

I am located in Northern New Jersey.

My cars are mainly later models.  Running out of room.

IMG_2377-1.jpg

IMG_2376-1.jpg

IMG_2375-1.jpg

IMG_2373-1.jpg