'68 Riviera Remote Mirror Gasket

Guest jprrbo

• 5 years later...

I ended up making my own gasket for my door mirror out of a sample piece of composite floor tiling and a piece of black foam drawer liner. The foam is to provide a molded cushion between the door and the tile material. I used a 1/2" hole drill to drill out the remote control cable hole in the tile and a small drill bit to drill out the base mount screw holes.

Unless you are looking directly at the mirror base you can't tell the gasket isn't stock. It's not perfect but it will do until I can find a stock gasket, (if one exists). :D

20171007_130356.thumb.jpg.c7c5f2fa4fbd3ef569aa40e09196e432.jpg20171007_130344.thumb.jpg.9ade01334091c2c954d78a7a386481ee.jpg

Edited by NCRiviera (see edit history)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, NCRiviera said:

I ended up making my own gasket for my door mirror out of a sample piece of composite floor tiling and a piece of black foam drawer liner. The foam is to provide a molded cushion between the door and the tile material. I used a 1/2" hole drill to drill out the remote control cable hole in the tile and a small drill bit to drill out the base mount screw holes.

Unless you are looking directly at the mirror base you can't tell the gasket isn't stock. It's not perfect but it will do until I can find a stock gasket, (if one exists). :D

Hey Mr. Mike

I have one for a non-remote. May fit?

I'm in AZ right now but when I get home I can send a pic. with scale. Its yours if it works. Will have to make a hole for the cables.

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

2 hours ago, PWB said:

Hey Mr. Mike

I have one for a non-remote. May fit?

I'm in AZ right now but when I get home I can send a pic. with scale. Its yours if it works. Will have to make a hole for the cables.

Paul,

Thanks much for the offer. I would definitely be willing to take a look at what you have. Trying to find one of these gaskets is harder than the quest for the Holy Grail!

Mike

. . . correct rear view mirror gaskets are almost 'unobtanium'  - If your lucky, NOS mirrors came with a selection of gaskets, as the mirrors were available to fit different models !

You might be fortunate enough to find a correct NOS new gasket, that was not needed, but they are scarce !

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I purchased another remote mirror set that included a good condition base gasket on it.

This gasket has a different part number than that previously mentioned (1384683). The part number is 1387863. I cannot find any reference to this second part number on any online site like GMPartswiki or in any of my Buick parts manuals.

The gasket is shaped exactly right for the base of the remote mirror used on 68-69 Rivi's so maybe GM did a parts revision or replacement somewhere along the line.

This mirror has a better chrome finish and mirror quality than my previously purchased replacement so I will install this unit in the very near future. If anyone is looking for a good condition remote mirror for a second gen Riv, let me know.

20171118_211959.thumb.jpg.4eef25d431756e01f3c78c3f28df77c6.jpg

20171118_211945.thumb.jpg.a5b2fd670079ebc4017931fd8c879b01.jpg

20171118_211952.thumb.jpg.0e4fdaf1e296081d993729631b9e800e.jpg

Edited by NCRiviera (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NCRiviera said:

Hi all,

I purchased another remote mirror set that included a good condition base gasket on it.

This gasket has a different part number than that previously mentioned (1384683). The part number is 1387863. I cannot find any reference to this second part number on any online site like GMPartswiki or in any of my Buick parts manuals.

The gasket is shaped exactly right for the base of the remote mirror used on 68-69 Rivi's so maybe GM did a parts revision or replacement somewhere along the line.

This mirror has a better chrome finish and mirror quality than my previously purchased replacement so I will install this unit in the very near future. If anyone is looking for a good condition remote mirror for a second gen Riv, let me know.

Good score Mr. Mike.

If you wanted to perfect the perimeter -JB Weld makes a great putty filler for rigid and semi rigid plastics but it is white.

But they also sell a epoxy plastic glue that can be used as a light filler. Its black. Just have your shaping done before 10 minutes cure or you'll be a sanding.

Either route, I would spray that baby with satin black for plastic.

Give us a shot when all done.

• 3 months later...

FYI, CARS (Old Buick Parts) is now selling a reproduction 1968 - 69 remote drivers side door mirror on their eBay store. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F173199247673

Screenshot_20180308-080429.thumb.png.780b04a68891a9a970429e7361d0263e.png

The kit includes the mirror with remote cable assembly, base bracket and screw,  and base gasket. No door mounting screws or door panel escutcheon is included. 

They are also selling the non-remote door mirror on their eBay store. 

These mirrors do not appear to be on the CARS website yet. 

I asked if they plan on selling just the gasket. I was told they are trying to get those as a separate item. 

• Like 1