1928 stutz body tag

Guest cartwisted

Guest cartwisted

I have a 1928 stutz bb it has the all aluminum phillips body. I'm missing the body tags that go on the lower cowl panel. Does any one know were I can find these? Also were they screwed on or did they use a drive screw?

A person that I know needed a body builder tag for his 1929 Chrysler. He was able to borrow an original one and had a brass casting made by the lost wax process. The lost wax body tag casting came out as good as a die casting; I couldn't see any differences from the original.

Grandpa

Guest cartwisted

I do not have a orignal tag, so I can not describe it. I do think it should be a phillips body tag. The mounting holes are still in the body and measure 1 5/8 apart. If you can send a picture of what you have may be helpful

These are photos of a 1928 Stutz BB with a Philips aluminum cabriolet body that we have in stock. It appears that the tags are original, but they're held on with slotted screws, which is likely not correct. However, the car has scored a perfect 100 points in national competition, so it's probably acceptable to use the screws in lieu of whatever rivets were used originally. Or maybe the screws are correct, I don't know.

Also note that one tag was secured inside the car to the wooden dashboard.

Hope this helps!

post-31138-143138863633_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138863637_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138863641_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138863645_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138863649_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Matt,

The dash mounted plate is the Fedco ID plate. This was intended to be a tamper-proof VIN tag of sorts. The Fedco ID plate was fairly common in the late 1920s into the early 1930s on various automobiles. They were made by Fedco for the specific make of car.

Grandpa