1933 Dodge front Fenders

GDenton

Guy, looks like you did a great job cleaning that frame.........unfortunately maybe you cleaned the wrong spot. All Dodge trucks built at least between 27 and 1931 had the number stamped left side just back of the front spring bracket. I know someone said rear of left side front spring bracket and you maybe someone here can clarify.

Maybe they changed it to the rear after 31 but I am guessing not. Great looking truck and looks very solid either way. You didnt say what you were paying but the bed alone has gotta be worth some coin

Guest DodgeKCL

Question: Did not 'aircraft' type throw away shocks come out around the end of the 30s? All the trucks or cars I've seen and worked on in the middle 30s had Delco single/double action hydraulics. I looked up shocks in the last book I have for the 30s trucks,1939 TC/TD, and it gives Delco or Houdie double acting shocks front and rear and gives a parts breakdown that describes frame mounted hydraulics with "link rods" connecting them to the axles. Apparently 'modern' tube throw away shocks came out in 1940. At least for Dodge trucks.(Unfortunetly no drawings or photos to post.) Does this mean this truck is made from several differents trucks of different ages? The front spring rear shackle has been moved to the bottom of the frame. I don't think that was done at the factory. But........

Edited by DodgeKCL (see edit history)

Guest T J Richards

that front axle & shocker set up has been replaced at some time of it's life, look carefully as the bump stop does not line up with the frame either and you can see where the original bump stop was fitted directly to the frame as the original plate is still attached to the frame without the rubber, it should have leaver shocks set up on it.

I think it's a 1933 HC pick up with a donor front axle from something else.

check the rear wheel arch area on the frame for a number.....or clean more of the area to the left (below where the spring was originally attached).

the rear fenders are wrong as well.

Edited by T J Richards (see edit history)

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I too think the front axle is out of a different truck. I could see the bump stops ware outside the frame, and when the spring attach points were moved that still didn't let the bump stops hit. I will be looking for the s/n more. The shocks are another giveaway about the axle. Attached is a picture of a 39 truck frame I just bought, and it has the same type of mounts as my truck. I am looking for a picture with some cab dimensions, so I can see what differences there are between my K34 cab and an HC cab. I haven't found any yet though. Thanks for you input, Guy

post-82468-143138850474_thumb.jpg

post-82468-143138850523_thumb.jpg

Is that from a large model truck like a 2 or three ton? The Data plate is a lot larger, and the frame looks bigger. They changed from a tubular axle to a I-Beam for 34. I have an I-beam axle, but I don't think it is from a pickup. Thanks, Guy

post-82468-143138851438_thumb.jpg

Guest DodgeKCL

Quote "About Jan. 1 1934 the front axle changed to a beefy,drop forged,I beam type in place of the former tubular type." The '33 HCs had the tube type front axle from the DP car and the PC/PD Plymouth cars. I too was confused when I first saw my '35 1/2 ton. I thought someone had changed out the tube axle for the old I beam type but it was Dodge themselves.

Thanks everyone for help so far. It looks like I just have to get it home, get it torn apart, and see whats what. I went to a swap meet in Puyallup, Washington last weekend. Everyone laughed at me when asking about 34 truck parts...oh well. Attached are a couple of pictures of a car someone brought to the swap meet, but no one was around it that knew anything about it. Went back several times. Anyone have a clue what it is? Bye from Guy

post-82468-143138853422_thumb.jpg

post-82468-143138853473_thumb.jpg

Hi Guy

These are the only difference between a half ton and a bigger cab I know of.

1. A half ton have smaller opening in the cowl but the outside dimensions are the same and it looks like they are from the same stamping tool.

2. The floor board has a different angle.

3. A half ton has 2 radiator support bracket and the bigger has 1 in the middle.

Everything else seems to be the same. The photos show my bigger cab mounted on a half ton chassis. The inside panel were the sun visors are attached (in the first photo) is from a 1933 4dr and every hole matched the cab. The hood is also from a half ton and fit quite well as you can see. I ordered the windshield frame for a 1933-34 half ton pickup and it fits like a glove

I took the pictures yesterday and I hope they explain what I mean.

Gunnar

post-61694-143138857706_thumb.jpg

post-61694-143138857712_thumb.jpg

post-61694-143138857717_thumb.jpg

post-61694-143138857722_thumb.jpg

post-61694-143138857727_thumb.jpg

Hello Gunnar, Thanks for the great pictures. They help me a lot. Here is one question though. On your cab, did you put another hole in the firewall for the steering column to go through? It would seem you would have to to get it in the right position. I see the original cutout below your steering column. I haven't seen any other pictures with two cutouts for the column. Thanks again for the pictures. Guy

Guest T J Richards
KCL, this are the only original body tags I have. Valbo Verkstads Aktiebolag is the name of the company who made the cab and the other tag is the line registration number as you already know. Second photo is from a local newspaper and shows what mine looked like back in the thirties but it's not mine.

When I looked for parts I found a second Dodge KCL built in Sweden but with another body. Now it's in my garage and I can show you pictures of it later or maybe start another thread. Send me a PM if you want my e-mail address.

I guess we all know there is always going to be some differences in the cars & trucks built in other countries than what was built in the USA, there were a lot of coach builders world wide building the Chrysler product on a contract basis, the chassis seems the same as we know, some were a knock down export & the coach builders took over from there....

post-68806-143138859693_thumb.jpg

Hi Guy. Yes I did the round hole in the firewall. I did it as small as possible so there is enough material to form is lip around the final cut out I'll do later after I've reshaped the lower edge.

• 7 months later...

Hi, the truck project is going slow. I have spent all summer looking for parts, and they are few and far between here in the Northwest. I have gone to car shows, swap meets, and very few parts are available for Dodges. I only saw one 34 pickup at all the car shows, and it wasn't stock. I did get 4 wire wheels, and a radiator. I also bought all the running gear from a guy in Colorado who was rodding his 35. I bought the front axle with springs and original shocks, brakes and drums. Also got a steering column, gearbox and wheel. Got the clutch and brake pedal assembly and gas pedal linkage. Got the upper floor pan that is metal, and the gas pedal that is hooked to it. He couldn't find the rear motor mounts that bolt to the frame, and I got the rear end, drive shaft , and rear shocks. What I can't find yet are the splash aprons, better fenders, seat cushions and back. I also bought a complete 39 Plymouth pickup frame with all the running gear including the transmission. I was hoping to use the rear motor mounts from that, but the frame is a channel, and the dodge is a boxed channel, so don't know if any of that will work. So that's where I am so far, if you know of any parts available, especially in the area of the rear motor mounts, let me know. I haven't even found one to look at to see what I need. I'm searching in a vacuum. Are you anywhere close to me, I just need one to look at to see what I need to find. Thanks

• 6 months later...

Progress has been slow. After doing research, I am not going any further until I can verify that it has the correct truck frame under it. I know the front axle is wrong, the front shocks are wrong, the engine is wrong, the grille is wrong, and so on. I am going to take the entire cab, fenders and everything off so I can find a serial number on the frame. to see if it matches anything. The s/n on the title is 9264775 which is a 42 Dodge number. The number on the tag on the cab is 8559591. That's where I am at. Bye from Guy

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi - I see this post is rather old, but maybe some of you are still on here?  My grandpa gave my Dad a 1933 Dodge Brothers Pickup that we have had for many years and used in parades.  It still runs.  We have decided to try and sell it as no one really has the passion to continue to take care of it and we are running out of storage space.  I have been trying to list it online but I really don't know very much information - for example - Classic Cars wanted the Model... I don't even know if it is a Dodge Brothers, the title says Dodge but the Truck says Dodge Brothers.  My grandpa had it restored before giving it to my dad but the guy who restored it is no longer around to talk to and my Grandpa has passed.  Any information would help.  

IMG_0935.jpg

IMG_0936.jpg

IMG_0937.jpg

IMG_0939.jpg

IMG_0940.jpg

IMG_0941.jpg

IMG_0942.jpg

• 6 months later...
On 4/23/2013 at 8:28 PM, GDenton said:

Progress has been slow. After doing research, I am not going any further until I can verify that it has the correct truck frame under it. I know the front axle is wrong, the front shocks are wrong, the engine is wrong, the grille is wrong, and so on. I am going to take the entire cab, fenders and everything off so I can find a serial number on the frame. to see if it matches anything. The s/n on the title is 9264775 which is a 42 Dodge number. The number on the tag on the cab is 8559591. That's where I am at. Bye from Guy

Any updates??

• 1 year later...
On 2/15/2012 at 9:23 AM, DodgeKCL said:

The 1 1/2 tonners had bigger cabs on them which they shared with 2 ton from what I know. Also starting with the 1 1/2 ton cab the engine hood has a big sign on both sides saying 'DODGE BROTHERS' or 'DODGE'.

I went back and spent a bit of time going through the 10 photos of your truck. We'll get it right yet. I missed a couple of things. The gearshift lever and transmission tower do not follow the shape of a 1/2 ton. The rad grille has a diiferent crankhole from the 1/2 tonners. The 1/2 ton crankhole is connected to the bottom of the grille by a long stem. However the larger trucks have 'rounded ' corners on the bottom of the windshield rather than the 'sharp' corners of the 1/2 tonners which yours seems to have.

Yes your truck does appear to be listed as "K-34 1 1/2 ton Cab" with a correct serial number for that series. So several things now come up.

The truck is much bigger in the flesh than in the photos. The front fenders are most likely going to be bigger than the car fenders so you may end up repairing what you have as 1 1/2 ton fnders are going to be rare. The rear fenders appear to not have the same 'pattern' on them as the 1/2 tonners so they too will be hard to find. The serial number listing says the closing date was 'Oct. 1935' but it has the dash of a '33. Typical of CPDD manufacture in those days. Unless the cab has been switched it appears the truck has a left over '33 cab.

The serial number on the HC/KC series is stamped just behind the rear spring shackle of the front left spring. It's quite large and near the bottom of the frame face. The numerals are about 1" high and the stamping is about 6" long. The number is stamped into the steel so a wire cup brush on a drill is safe but do not use a sanding disc. If it matches the serial number you have then it is indeed a 1 1/2 ton Commercial Express pick me up.

Cabs from 1/2 ton to 2 ton are the same. The fire wall and toe board is different.