1915-1918 Truck Frame needs identified

I posted this on the General Discussion folder and will cross post here in case someone can identify this frame.

It is seen in the 1916-1918 Automobile Engineers books as a diagram of a heavy duty truck frame. It is detailed enough complete with measurements to have come from a shop manual. Unfortunately they did not give the manufacturer's name. It will most likely be 2-tons or above and chain drive? The dip on the side rails will help identify (I hope)

The part I am interested in is the X brace at the rear. I ran across one other truck manufactured in 1918 (possibly until 1920) that used an X in the middle of the frame (also 2-tons). I am wanting to find out of course the model of the one below as well as know if there are others and/or earlier model truck frames that used an X brace somewhere on it?

Thanks!

Eric

post-68778-143138831064_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

hello eric, i have a chassis that is from 1919 with a X brace at the back end of the chassis, it is an english- J type Thornycroft truck chassis of around 3 1/2 to 4 ton size

it is not chaindriven, but has a large wormdrive diff that weighs just over one ton, hope this helps, mike.

• 4 weeks later...
hello eric, i have a chassis that is from 1919 with a X brace at the back end of the chassis, it is an english- J type Thornycroft truck chassis of around 3 1/2 to 4 ton size

it is not chaindriven, but has a large wormdrive diff that weighs just over one ton, hope this helps, mike.

Sorry that I am so late seeing this... any pictures and/or diagrams? Thanks!

Eric

• 2 years later...

It took a couple of years but while looking through journals this evening, I discovered that the chassis in question is a 1910 Alden Sampson.  Now, to see if there are earlier models with X bracing?  Thanks.