Sign in to follow this  
studepeople

CCCA Future

Thank you, "Dr." Fields, and be assured, that salutation is an honorarium, as we seem to be on the same page, trying, trying, uphill and against the wind, against the hidebound "but we've always done it this way" quo, to ensure a future for the CCCA, this thread's topic.

In my last post, i was quoting many, many longtime Classic owners' laments heard over the years.

And tho' off topic, yes Monsignor Vertigo, we well realize many suburban concourses d' elegance are for a charity, tho' many of us who've been involved with these things for aeons, many decades, often wonder how much of the gate really goes to the cause, and not the event's gladhanding promoters, "administrative costs," et al.

Been involved with these elegant auld barouches on both coasts since many readers here gathered were riding tricycles. But what Dr. Fields, i and others above are attempting, is how to enliven and save the CCCA, make it more fun, less stuffy, while remaining true to this Club's roots, not morph into into the kinda neat old curr klub.

I've no idea from where the rancor stems.

Some of us just like the cars and should like this to return to the enjoyable, relaxed hobby it once was, long ago, when we were young and under the apple bough.

Steady.

I've been following this thread since it began though don't feel I have all that much to add... but Mr. "Water Jacket" has struck a responsive cord in my memory. I joined the CCCA in 1970... I was 19 and had recently bought this:

1926CADILLACINTEDSYARD.jpg

a 1927 (I thought it was a '26) 314 Cadillac 7 passenger limo. Aside from having been painted in the late 50s it was completely untouched and would, today, be considered a remarkable "HPOF" car. In 1970... as a teenage collector, all I heard was "when are you going to restore it?" or... my favorite, "its not an open car" - which everyone knows are the ONLY cars worth having. To be entirely fair, that was a general reaction, not one specific to the CCCA crowd, but it pretty much soured me on car clubs and especially the cult of "cosmetic competition."

I sold the Cadillac after 2 seasons to buy this:

pg065N.jpg

1929 aluminum head PI, S193FR. If the Caddy was an object of scorn, the Rolls was doubly so because it really did need to be restored... This is one of the reasons I wonder about all the hand wringing about bringing in "younger" folks. I've no impression that car collectors (with some very notable exceptions) were all that interested in encouraging new people. Thankfully I had the encouragement of several collectors of what would today be considered "high end" cars but none of them were even faintly interested in competing for trophies and, I don't think any of them even bothered to join the CCCA. As "water jacket" has so cogently put forward, there are lots of people who genuinely like these cars but the (to me) insane, narcissistic emphasis on paint, polish and conspicuous consumption is very off putting.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)

JV Puleo,

Your comments about attending your first car meet at 19 with that beautiful original Cadillac reminded me of my first car meet experience. I was 17 in 1975 when I bought my very first car a 1929 Studebaker sedan that was in excellent original condition. It was a basic “Plain Jane” model with wood wheels and rear mounted spare. I could not have been prouder of that car if it had been a brand new Corvette.

The very first collector car meet that was held in my area I drove my pride and joy to the meet excited to dive head first in the world of car collectors. After I parked, and my brother and I got out, the “old guys” came over to see what had just arrived. They walked around the car and everyone differed to this one guy (we later found out he was the unofficial leader of the club) after they circled the car the leader says “Non desirable item” and then they all turned and walked away and not one more word was said to us.

I have never attended that club again. Also, to this day, I always encourage anyone, especially the younger guys, when they buy a car, or need help getting started in the hobby. I would never treat anyone they way I was treated at the age of 17 with my first collector car.

Btw, if you showed up at either of those shows with a Dueseneberg you would have gotten the same cold shoulder. This has nothing to do with snobbery and everything to do with cliques and being part of them or not. Historically that is what most clubs have been.

My perspective, which I've stated probably more than once so I will again is that the CCCA is worth the 65 bucks for the periodicals alone. I have never gotten a bad vibe at any event that I have been to. Not saying that it hasn't happened or that some regions might be cliquey but I just haven't seen it. I think at this point most regions are thrilled when they see new blood.

Thank you Water Jacket. I hope that a year fromnow I can carry the doctor title with honor, and have contributed insight to this issue through a correctly made study.

Just think, what would happen if Vertigo was in charge of new membership in any car club?

Yes, charity events have there place, but Water Jacket makes some very valid points that Vertigo should try and understand.