Tucson Reatta Yard

Guest blue72beetle

Guest blue72beetle

I'm going to Tucson very soon for work, and I've read about a Reatta yard out there. Does anyone know anything about this place? Is the guy friendly? Can I go pick my own parts?

Thanks for any info.

Guest Kingsley

Roger Krone in Tucson purchased all of the parts cars and parts inventory from Phil - Speedway Auto Parts.

He now has over 100 Reatta parts cars as well as 9 driveable Reattas, including two Select 60s.

He owns and operates a metal recycling yard and will crush approximately 100 cars per week. I can assure you he will never crush a Reatta. Does a big business in recycling radiators and other metals.

Selling Reatta parts is purely a sideline - and very much a hobby for Roger and his wife - at this time; however, he is gearing up and will be a vendor in the retail Reatta parts market in the near future. Cannot say for sure, but do not think he will operate it as an open yard.

He has his own trucks and some time ago last year picked up a parts car in Houston.

Athough it is just short of midnight here, I just spoke with him to make sure that this posting is order. Had to change the number of Select 60s from one to two.

www.reattas.com (520) 977-5463

If the price of used Reatta parts is set by the rules of supply and demand, used parts will soon be dirt cheap. Another used part vendor seems to popup on the forum almost every week. It will be interesting to see which ones will survive and which ones will disappear.

I was wondering the status of all those Reattae that had been at speedway. I knew they were sold en masse sometime back, but that was the last I had heard. Good to know there will be another large source of parts available, and that is a very large collection. That will make these cars viable for repair and restoration for a longer time to come.

Kingsley - are his two Select 60's parts cars or actual drivable clear title vehicles? No, I'm not looking to buy one, just curious as a S60 parts car would be a real shame. The way your previous post phrased it wasn't entirely clear.

KDirk

If the price of used Reatta parts is set by the rules of supply and demand, used parts will soon be dirt cheap. Another used part vendor seems to popup on the forum almost every week. It will be interesting to see which ones will survive and which ones will disappear.

Ronnie, I think you hit the nail on the head.

Years ago Reatta parts were very hard to find as damaged cars only showed up at the dealer auctions and at that time only Speedway and myself were specializing in Reattas. Mike did come along and purchased parts cars but he also had to pay a lot for his cars. The parts cars were going for high prices. One comes to mind that sold at a dealer only auction here in MN. I bid $ 1900 for the car and the whole front was gone. Speedway bought the car for a bid of $ 2200. They then had to pay the buyers fees and transportation to AZ. They had at least $ 3000 in the car and there were no front end parts any good.

Today the cars are old and parts plentiful. This is evidenced by all the Reattas showing up in U Pull It type junk yards. The large wrecking yards don't even want them anymore.

I used to sell lots of body parts but that has almost dried up as because the cars are so old folks are not fixing body damage anymore unless the car is a very nice low mileage car.

Again you are right about the number of sellers. Look on Ebay, there are quite a few folks selling Reatta parts. Most of them have only one parts car or like one of the Ebay sellers you will find some folks regularly touring U Pull Its and scrounging Reatta parts to resell.

Edited by Jim (see edit history)

Guest steveskyhawk

I disagree with the premise of plentiful parts. All Reattas are getting older and consequently deteriorating. I cant imaging how nasty these cars get when they have been parked in the mud and covered with snow for 3 months out of the year. The cars I'm sourcing are generally corrosion free, however they have fewer and fewer serviceable parts due to neglect. It is no big secret that cars last longer in a warm, dry climate like here in Los Angeles but neglect and wear and tear takes it's toll everywhere. It is a given that parts will remain available longer here when the supply has dried up across the rest of the country.

When purchasing a part for your project Reatta the challenge is to find replacement parts that are better than the junk you are trying to replace. Replacing junk with junk makes no sense. That is why I use my profits to reinvest in reproduction and rebuilt Reatta parts. The old supplies are just plain junk. Other vendors tend to encourage this race to the bottom with pricing. You get what you pay for.

In the next month or so I will be offering BRAND NEW chrome taillight letters for our Reattas. I am also contemplating offering a complete taillight assembly that has been restored and will include new chrome letters. Pricing of this item will be determined by restoration time and expense. I guarantee, like everything I sell, it will be the highest quality part that is available anywhere.

My local U-Pull has not has a Reatta for over a year and while there are still a few on CL, they are the same ones that are not selling.

I suspect the supply is turning the corner from "used car" to "rare".

Guest Kingsley

While on the subject of Reatta parts vendors, I note a new one, in addition to Mike, located in Maricopa, AZ. Any info on this fellow?

Slightly different subject - I have several new projects, one of which ties in with the '90 headlight switch. A long term project but, in the meantime, Jim Finn has very good prices on rebuilt ones. I see some on the Internet for some $250 plus but Jim's pricing is far less this.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SwiftBuicks

Let me jump in here with a run-down of a parts search I just did on the internet. I was looking for a bumper shock for my '89 Riv. I located a Tucson junk yard, Catalina Auto Recyclers, who had a '90 Riv. from Car-part.com. The computer print-out said that they had a shock for $75. I shot him an e-mail, he replied with a request that I call. He then told me he had two shocks to sell for $175 shipped. I told him I only wanted one. He said he only sold pairs. Then I said I would call back if I wanted them. The I found a Salvage Yard outside of Jacksonville that had an '88 Reatta. He said the bumper shocks on that model would fit my car. I wasn't sure about that and was going to request info here regarding it. Since I might be going to Florida soon and my Mother lives in Jacksonville, I told him I'ld come by and swing a deal. We all know that the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing in these yards. He hinted around that I could have a shock for $25 if I pulled it myself. He also told me that they had crushed the Riv I found on my computer read-out from Car-part.com, but they would never crush the Reatta. I then called a yard in Springfield, Mo., played phone tag with a guy for two days. Yesterday they sold me a bumper shock off of a '91 Riv for $30 and shipped it. The salesman also guaranteed that it was in good condition. We'll see, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the Tucson yards are cashing in on their weather.

Edited by SwiftBuicks (see edit history)