When did cars start using 12 volt batteries?

wrenchguy

In the GM cars, the Cadillac, Oldsmobile and the large Buicks (Super and Roadmaster) went to 12 volts in 1953. Buick Special, the last of the straight eights, used 6 volts for 1953 and then went to 12 volts in 1954. Chevrolet and Pontiac last used 6 volts in 1954. Ford products switched over I think in 1955.

Joe, BCA 33493

In the early days, when electrical systems were first offered, different electrical equipment makers used different voltages... including 12. Twelve volt systems were commonly used on British cars. American-made RRs were 12 volt up until around 1926 when they went to 6 to conform to what had become the commonplace American practice.

Guest Kingoftheroad
Ford products switched over I think in 1955.

Joe, BCA 33493

I believe Ford went to the 12 volt in '56 cause the 55 T-Bird still had the 6 volt system.

I don't know exact years but didn't Dodge use 12 volts in the early 1920's? I know 1916-17 Maxwells used a "twin six" battery to spin a 12 volt starter/ generator that then charged them as 2 6 volt batteries. later Maxwells were a straight 12 volt system

Howard Dennis

Guest Bob Call

My 54 Austin Healey equipped with Lucas electrics is 12 V positive earth with dual 6 V batteries connected in series. Most european cars I have seen have been 12 V positive ground.

Yes, Dodge Brothers used a 12 volt system, in the late teens and into the twenties...with a starter generator combination, chain driven and always engage, and silent.....a great system....so 12 volt is not new....

Also yes on the Fords, in '55 Tbirds were 6 volt, then to 12 volt in '56....

Guest Jim_Edwards
I came across a Pure gas station 6-8 volt battery charger/tester on wheels. Weighs about 100 lbs., glass dashboard and chrome handles to roll it around. Shouldn't be newer than 1955 or so. right?

thanks

If you have acquired this beast, it would be interesting to know who actually produced it for Pure Oil. Should be some indication in the inner workings I would think. Have you been able to determine if it is still functional?

Pretty sure all Chrysler products changed to 12 volt in 56. Interesting to hear that the Dodge Brothers were all 12 volt initially but they obviously changed back to 6 at some point. Maybe was done after their deaths in 1920 and before being sold to Chrysler Corp in the late 1920's? Wonder why they would change back to 6 in that time, perhaps standardization with the rest of the US?

In the early days meaning before WW1 there was no standardization. Some cars had 6 volt, some 12, some had 24 volt systems. Others had no battery at all. Ford did not even offer a starter until 1918 or so.

Some very early cars, 1900 and earlier, used dry cell flashlight batteries for ignition.

6 volt was the most common standard by the twenties with only a few hold outs. From the mid twenties to the early fifties it was all 6 volt. Except in England where 12 volt systems were popular. By 1956 all cars except VW beetle changed over to 12 volt.

Guest 68vwdubb

"A lot of cars changed to 12 volt batteries right around '55/'56 timeframe, at least in the US. Some foreign cars kept using 6 volt batteries even after the mid-'50s.....IIRC the Volkswagen 'Bug' was one of them."

That is correct!

1967 was the first year for 12 volt in the Volkswagen Beetle.

If you have acquired this beast, it would be interesting to know who actually produced it for Pure Oil. Should be some indication in the inner workings I would think. Have you been able to determine if it is still functional?

As a picker, when I got it I was hoping to flip it right away to vintage gas station guys. Then last nite i really started "Einsteining" it and noted its only 6-8 volt! I'm sure anyone wanting to buy it would want 12 volt too. I think my market maybe really limited now. I gotta borrow a buddies 6volt bat to see if it'll work. I'll post some pics of it later today. thanks for ur comments.

Guest Al Brass

If my memory serves me correctly, the first Delco starters fitted to Cadillac in 1912 were 12 volts but the lighting system was 6 volts.

Regards

Al

As a picker, when I got it I was hoping to flip it right away to vintage gas station guys. Then last nite i really started "Einsteining" it and noted its only 6-8 volt! I'm sure anyone wanting to buy it would want 12 volt too. I think my market maybe really limited now. I gotta borrow a buddies 6volt bat to see if it'll work. I'll post some pics of it later today. thanks for ur comments.

It may well be the other way around, you can buy a 12 volt battery charger anywhere but 6-8 volt chargers are rare and guaranteed pre 1956.

The way you describe it, it was a top of the line model that shows well and has a real vintage look. I would bet it is worth more than a late model 6-12 volt charger and possibly twice or 3 times as much.

Incidentally if you did want to get 12 volts out of it (not recommended, you would ruin the originality) it would be as simple as replacing the selenium rectifier with a diode bridge.

I sure someone will correct me if wrong, but as I recall Dodge Brothers used a 12 volt positive ground system from 1914/15 through 1925. Perhaps one of the most numerous American cars to use 12 volt before the 1950s.

Guest Jim_Edwards

I'm thinking you are underestimating the potential market, which would include individuals with one or more 6V cars, restoration shops, and those into collecting service station memorabilia. May not even matter if it's working as those things are actually rather simple inside and unless the magnetics (transformers) or something in the timer circuit have fried not that big of a deal to repair.

Even in the mid 1960s there were still a lot of cars on the road and/or being used as a second car that had 6 Volt systems.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Al Brass

The first DELCO Starter/Generator as used on the 1912 Cadillac (and similar units used on the 1913 Hudson, 1913 Oakland, and 1913 Oldsmobile) actually used four (4), 6 volt batteries (originally in one case) and an 8-pole double throw series-parallel switch to make 24 volts when starting (series) and 6 volts when generating / charging (parallel).

Bill

"A lot of cars changed to 12 volt batteries right around '55/'56 timeframe, at least in the US. Some foreign cars kept using 6 volt batteries even after the mid-'50s.....IIRC the Volkswagen 'Bug' was one of them."

That is correct!

1967 was the first year for 12 volt in the Volkswagen Beetle.

In Europe VW switched to the 12V. in 1967 in the 1500 beetle only. The 67 deluxe 1300 and the standard 1200A models retained the 6 volt to the end of the 68 models.

D.

Guest Backyardmechanic
Pretty sure all Chrysler products changed to 12 volt in 56. Interesting to hear that the Dodge Brothers were all 12 volt initially but they obviously changed back to 6 at some point. Maybe was done after their deaths in 1920 and before being sold to Chrysler Corp in the late 1920's? Wonder why they would change back to 6 in that time, perhaps standardization with the rest of the US?

Dodge Brothers were 12 volts from the start 1914 to 1926/1927 then change to 6 volt then back to 12 volt in 1956