Sturbridge Auto Mueseum

FUHRMAN71

Does anyone know what became of the cars from the Sturbridge Auto Museum in MA?

I visited there many times as a kid and recently found some old photos and postcards from there.

Mr. Harold Kenneway was the owner and always gave a brief talk before you went to look around - smart man. I believe he was a chemist.

At one time I heard Heritage Plantation had some of the cars but I can't confirm that.

There was a 39 Packard Darrin, an Imperial touring car and of course Kenneway was a known Pierce Arrow buff.

:confused:

• 5 years later...

Harold Kenneway was my uncle. He was a chemist at Norton Chemical in Worcester , he passed away about 15 years ago. Some of the cars in the museum were on loan by the owners. The others were dispersed when he closed the museum. His Pierce Arrow was a Glidden Tour winner in 1959 I believe. The one he owned was previously owned by the Kellogg Cornflakes family which he told everyone when he gave his tours. After he closed the museum he built a structure next to his house  that was the same size as the museum and started buying 65-69 mustangs.

No was not part of Old Sturbridge Village.  Was on Route  20east in what is now Boardwalk Place, a collection of businesses fronted by Bank of America.  Closed around 1980.  I have the signs which I discovered at an auction in New Hampshire.

• Like 1

It was not part of Sturbridge Village, in fact he hated it because it was "recreations" not the actual thing. I spent the summer of 1967 working in the museum with my uncle and grandparents. I'll share this story . my uncle bought three cars a 1938 and 1939 Ford coupe and a partially complete Model T for $1000.00 to resell. They were in the storage area in the back. I'd go back there and sit in the cars thinking how to put the money together to buy one of the coupes but it never happened. p,s. the 38 still had the owners manuel in it

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

When I was a kid I shoveled his drive way and every day I would go visit him after school very smart man. I remember him telling me stories about some old car I was 12 yeas old driving him around in big black  Lincoln  he love them Lincoln. Very sad to see him pass. He had a red convertible mustang he always told me it was going to be my car some day I believe it was a 1966 but after he passed away family members come in and never heard anything about it. Just a really nice guy can’t say enough 

He did like to drive a big black car.... Cadillac. Before he past away he had amassed a few Mustangs in the building next to his house. After he sold the museum and the cars there he had a structure built just like and had the mustangs there plus a back up Cadillac when the one he was driving wore out.