Looking for Stutz crownwheel and pinion.

Guest RC45

I had planned to do some vintagecar rallies this year with my Stutz, but with a technical check I saw that several theets of the crownwheel were badly damaged and probably also the pinion.

Is there anyone who can help me with this parts, or adresses/tips who/how to solve this problem ? Any help is very much appreciated as I live in the Netherlands were Stutz parts are very, very rare......

My Stutz is a 1921 series K 5 passengers open tourer.

Nicest fix would be a reproduction set with higher speed ratio but I doubt that any are still available. There may be used originals out there.

Several ratios were offered originally:

33-10 with straight cut teeth ( Bearcat and Roadster)

42-12 spiral teeth

45-12 spiral

45-11 spiral (Sedan)

Earlier cars had more options for ratios and many were straight cut.

Just for your information, no other cars have an interchanging set of gears other than HCS cars ( another Harry C Stutz) product. HCS ratios are very slow speed.

Nicest fix would be a reproduction set with higher speed ratio but I doubt that any are still available. There may be used originals out there.

Several ratios were offered originally:

33-10 with straight cut teeth ( Bearcat and Roadster)

42-12 spiral teeth

45-12 spiral

45-11 spiral (Sedan)

Earlier cars had more options for ratios and many were straight cut.

Just for your information, no other cars have an interchanging set of gears other than HCS cars ( another Harry C Stutz) product. HCS ratios are very slow speed.

Thank you very much, Layden for this response. I decided to re-manufacture new parts.

Kind regards.

Henk Noteboom

RC 45 I have a set of 45-11 spiral from ak millers they are as good as new . I can measure them if the ratio is good for you. To be sure they are correct. Thanks John

Thanks for thismessage, John. I have send you a private message.

Thanks,

Henk

Another possible source might be Ann Freehill in Ft Wayne Indiana. I believe Paul had these made, probably over several decades; but probably many of the faster ratio options. You must make absolutely certain that the gear selector interlock is perfect. If you inadvertantly engage 2nd gear while 1st is still in mesh, it will shear woodruff keys on the gearbox layshaft, and probably split the casing.

John,

The differential ratio in my Stutz is 1:3,5 (12:42). What do you have ? Is it as you already mentioned 11:45 ? This should mean a (fractionally ?) lower topspeed, when I'm correct. Please let me know what you have ?

Henk

Henk The ring gear is 10 3/4 in in od . 6 1/2 in id with 12 bolt holes has numbers 100994 45 11 c315 Brown Lipe Chapin co Syracuse n y . Pinion is large out side dia of 3 1/8 and tapers to 2 1/2 in dia . tapered hole is 1 3/8 in and 1 1/16 with two key ways and 1 3/4 in long has numbers 100995, 11 45 ,14 1/2 n 11 -45 will have a lower top speed. Pinon has 11 teeth and ring 45 teeth John

Henk The ring gear is 10 3/4 in in od . 6 1/2 in id with 12 bolt holes has numbers 100994 45 11 c315 Brown Lipe Chapin co Syracuse n y . Pinion is large out side dia of 3 1/8 and tapers to 2 1/2 in dia . tapered hole is 1 3/8 in and 1 1/16 with two key ways and 1 3/4 in long has numbers 100995, 11 45 ,14 1/2 n 11 -45 will have a lower top speed. Pinon has 11 teeth and ring 45 teeth John

Hi John,

Thank you very much voor the trouble you have taken to measure everything but 11/45 means more revs/less speed and as we use it for the long distance I want a longer gear for more speed/less revs. So I will re-manufacture a new crownwheel and pinion.

Thanks again,

Henk