Sign in to follow this  
rvanti

`31 Commander 70 Brougham sedan

Still need help on restoration. Pictures of proper tail light and license plate bracket. Parts book states only 70 80 90 series. Spare tire lock, side mount. Original flat radiator cap. Info on best way to unscrew inside door lock handles that don`t want to unscrew. I don`t want to mess up fabric. Current person re-doing rear pull down blind.

This car is a model 80 roadster but I think the the tail light bracket has the same bolt spacing where it attaches to the rear bumper mount.

Stude8

post-31139-143138789241_thumb.jpg

Thank you very much for the picture. Apparently the mounting of my lights are totally wrong. I have no brackets from the bumper to the lights. Mine are mounted to the fenders with what looks like Model A brackets. Could you possibly take a few pics. close up of both lights and brackets. I am happy to pay for your cost and effort. Regular mail is essential as I only have dial up and my printer is giving my a lot of trouble. Am happy to supply mailing address. Thank you very much. Art in Cal.

Art

I have the attached photo of my 1928 Studebaker Commander tail light and bracket. It is quite similar to all the Studeakers from 1928-31 where it bolts to the rear bumper mounting casting and actually holds the bumper in place itself. The license plate bracket is riveted to the arm below the the flange that holds the lamp assy.

I don't have any better photos at this time and the photo of the red roadster is unfortunately not my car, it belongs to Floyd Quinnell in Washington state, I am in Southern Illinois.

I can sympathize with the ills of dial up internet, I live in the Shawnee National Forest and we only got high speed 3G service here a few months ago, I'll make future images smaller in size to open easier when I have any that might help you.

Stude8

post-31139-14313878958_thumb.jpg

Another tail light brkt image from a friends 1930 Commander Roadster. This one shows a better view of the full bracket arm and installation.

Stude8

post-31139-143138789586_thumb.jpg

A few more 1929 & 1930 President tail lights for ideas, the cars only came with left rear tail lights so the right side lights were usually rebent with help of an acetylene torch to reshape the arm and rerivet the license brkt. There were some export right side brkts for European cars but they were rare in USA.

Stude8

post-31139-143138789593_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143138789602_thumb.jpg

post-31139-14313878961_thumb.jpg

John

I have reproduced the right tail light brackets for the 29 to 32 presidents. And Nyal Weaver made the plate mount. The Commander has a closer bolt spread where it mounts so the President will not fit. I might have some Commander brackets. Rex