*Help* 1990 Buick Reatta Brake Booster.

Guest Cajun Reatta

Guest Cajun Reatta

Hey guys my brake booster on my 90 went out the otherday and I was wondering if any body knows where I can get one? Maybe somebody off here has one to sell if so I would greatly appreciate it!:D

-Blake.

The problem is probably the accumulator. That is the black ball that screws into the pump housing, it is easy as an oil filter to change but a little more expensive. Go to Amazon.com and search under accumulators...... the GM part number begins with 255.....

Also go to Reatta Owners Journal - Home and Reatta Data Page

read the information about testing the brakes.

The accumulator is usually the problem, followed by the pressure switch, then the relay.

The pump and master cylinder seldom fail.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Did you swap relays on the firewall? Have you pulled the connecter off the pressure switch and look for fluid? Checked for power at the pump connector?

Accumulator bad?

Knowing what is causing the "went out" will help you get the correct repair part.

What are your symptoms?

OK, first we need to know what he has. Cajun: the 90 Reatta came with an electro-hydraulic braking system (electric pump and accuulator from Teves).

Below are some pictures of the Teves system.

96818d1313067452-my-brakes-dont-work-brake_components.jpg

black3.jpg

Some Reattas have been converted to conventional vaccuum operated brakes and booster. The first question is "Which do you have ?"

Just simply saying "went out" isn't enough information at this point to even start buying parts.

What are the symptoms?

Are the red brake and yellow ABS lights on?

If the red light is on can you hear the pump motor running or feel it running.

You can look at Padgett's picture to find the pump. Where he has the word pump is the pump motor and the motor is right in front of the pump but these two parts are serviced as a unit.

If the yellow light is on but the red light is off that means the ABS is not working but the brakes will still be working and have power assist. If the red light is on the pressure is low in the accumulator.

When the key is turned on the pressure switch sees low pressure and turns on the pump/motor building up 2600 pounds of pressure in the accumulator. The pressure switch sees this high pressure and shuts off the pump. Even with a totally shot accumulator the pump should still run and build up the pressure. In this condition because there is no nitrogen in the accumulator, when you step on the brake pedal once, the red light would probably come back on. If, when the key is on the red light stays on, and you have a hard pedal that means the pump/motor is not starting. The relay could be bad but most likely it is a bad pressure switch or pump/motor. If you remove the connector on the pressure switch, which is located above the pump/motor and in front of the accumulator ( black ball ) and look inside and see any brake fluid seeping next to the terminals, you have a bad pressure switch. As the cars get older I am seeing more and more pump motors go bad. Sometimes tapping on the motor with the key on will start the motor. If this happens, you need to replace the motor/pump.

I have good used parts for the ABS and can be reached at jfinn@cpinternet.com

Guest Cajun Reatta

Or will a 91 fit a 90?

The only parts we need is a accumulator and the eletric motor for the abs power brake booster.

If you jumper 12v to the pump motor an it runs, you do not need a motor.

1989 and 1990 Teves system is identical.

1988 has a flex pressure line where the 89-90 has a hard line.

1991 uses a totally different Bosch ABS system.