jeff_a

Peerless For Sale Department

The February, 2012 Hemmings Motor News has an ad for a Peerless not known to me. It is a 1927 Model 6-60 in Maine. "...4-dr, needs reconstruction, $8,600." Telephone: (207) 866-3704.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Bryan,

I don't think it's one of Ralph's Peerlesses. This is a different phone number and prefix, and the actual car doesn't match any of his which I know about.

----Jeff

The Automobile Quarterly, VOL 11, NO 1 1973 (brown, hardcover, with Japanese calligraphy on the cover) is a must-have for anyone who is a Peerless owner.

This has a 32-page chapter about Peerless, written mostly by the automotive historian Maurice Hendry.

*** Currently, there are 3 for sale on e-Bay.***

C. S. Walker from Sheridan, Arkansas tells me that he would like to sell his 1928 Six-80 Sedan. It is Blue w/ Black fenders and was restored by a previous owner in the Strasburg, PA area, including upholstery by Amish craftsmen. Phone: #(870) 917-0181.

I just received an e-mail about what may be a completely unheard-of Peerless in Sligo, Pennsylvania. Peerless Motor Car Club Member Philippe Mordant tells me that the motorcar is on e-Bay.

It is described as a 1929 Peerless. It is a Burgundy & Black Sedan with an 8-cylinder engine, an external trunk, wire wheels and dual sidemounts. 9 color photos. Listed by National Vehicle Marketing on e-bay until FEB 6th. Buy It Now price of $59,900. I've never heard of or seen this car, and I keep the registry.

Very nice-looking car. A couple of subjective comments:

• it's not a 1929..............it's a 1930 or 1931
  • it's not just an 8-cylinder......it's a straight eight
  • regretably, no photo of the engine......should be Continental 246.7 c.i.d.
  • no info as to model offered..........it's a Standard Eight (Model A)
  • we're left in the dark as to running condition & history

Sorry to be so enthusiastic, but this is a major find. Besides the e-Bay ad, the contacts for the sellers are: PH: (855) 578-1536. E-mail questions: support@classyauto.com

Another Peerless is for sale on ebay until FEB 6th (in addition to the straight-eight): a blue 1930 6-81 Sedan mentioned here on the Peerless Forum several times before. It's the one with red wire wheels, air horns on the L.S., and a rear spare. Starting price: $20,000. BIN price: $32,000.

Someone in NY has a generator which may be for a 1924 Peerless 6 for sale on e-bay now. For sale until 3/28/12. I think the price is $350.00.

Seller bought a lot of used generators, etc. from a shop and says this one has a tag that says"1924 Peerless 6" on it. The owner of the only 1924 Peerless 6-70 in the world, a rancher from Square Butte, MT, sold it last year. Sounds like quite the match-up! If this is off of a 6-70......it's possible it may fit one of the other three models that used the same engine....but there'd still be a small market for this.

Hello, I am looking for a 1929 Peerless. I want to make a local small museum dedicated to Peerless.

I would like one that looks nice and works but if it does not work and looks nice I can work with that too. It would be located inside an old Peerless auto dealership show room that was open from 1928 to 1929 with a small museum around it of local Peerless items, newspaper clippings, pictures, etc.

Here is the building. I am in the process of opening an antique store and am deciding on locations for this. I would love to add into the design and decoration of the store with a hiistorical reference to Peerless.

http://www.nebraskahistory.org/histpres/nebraska/douglas/DO09-Peerless-Motor-Co.pdf

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Dave M

Edited by David GM (see edit history)

Dear Dave,

Welcome to the Peerless Forum! Excellent news about your Peerless Dealership and the creation of a Peerless Museum!! I read all of the attached National Registry documentation plus some news clippings of the Omaha Peerless business. Did you know there are two Peerless dealerships still in business? One in Tampa Bay, Florida(Dimmitt Motors) and one in Norway(Bertel & Steen).

Your choice of a 1929 Peerless is interesting. The greatest number of surviving cars is from that year. I'm going to guess that you've read a lot of the Peerless Forum already. Have you seen the photos of the '29 Roadster for sale for $25,000 in Argentina here(please see "Peerless Research Findings" thread, PRF #191)?

----Jeff

Dave,

I sent you a PM with some ideas about Peerlesses for sale. An older post describes a nice-looking, restored 1929 Peerless 6-81 in Florida("1929 Peerless FS in Florida", 5/18/11).

Jeff, I wish I could take credit for the National Registry documentation, etc. but I would just be leasing the building to put my antique store in it, it is owned by someone else and they did all of the paperwork which by the way I think they did a great job with the information and documentation. I love history and have been wanting to buy an classic/antique car and also create some type of history museum for a while and all of this just seems to come together with my antique store. I have been in the military for almost 20 years now so going to retire and start my antique store, so lots to do for sure.

Glad to know there are a few surviving dealerships still, thanks for sharing.

The main reason I chose the 1929 as that was the year the Omaha dealership was in business, and there are several newspaper articles from that year so that is mainly why I am looking for that year. I think as I research more and actually go and see some that are available, I could change my mind, all of these old cars are so beautiful and interesting.

I will have to take a look at the roadster pics.

Cheers.

Dave

Someone in Michigan has a 1927 Peerless 6-60 for sale on ebay until April 12th. Dark Green Sedan with Black fenders. It is impeccably restored. An engineer I know looked at this car a couple of years ago. His comment was: "You could eat off of this car it was in such perfect condition!" The report is someone spent $65,000 in restoration costs on this already-restored 1920s car.

*** update: bids up to $26,100 6:15 PM, 4/11/12.***

This is the car advertised for $65,000 Reserve/$85,000 B.I.N. when it was on ebay last time.

Saw an interesting green 1927 Peerless 6-80 Sedan on ebay today. For sale untill 4/18/12. $1.00 opening bid, No reserve. Bids up to $10,100 6:00 PM 4/11/12.

Has a greyhound radiator mascot, new front tires, new roof, new running-boards, repainted hood. Runs & drives, lights work. Looks really complete, down to the rear-view mirror w/ clock and a vanity case on r.s. of rear seating area. Halfway decent interior, very clean engine compartment. Garaged since 1952. Located in Pottsville, PA. Regrettably, Jeeves informs me that the warranty has expired*.

NICE-LOOKING ORIGINAL CAR!

*The Peerless warranty was for sixty days.

The February, 2012 Hemmings Motor News has an ad for a Peerless not known to me. It is a 1927 Model 6-60 in Maine. "...4-dr, needs reconstruction, $8,600." Telephone: (207) 866-3704.

It has been sold.

Ralph

An extremely nice 1913 Peerless will be for sale at the Auburn Auction (WWG Auctions, I believe). It is the 1913 Model 48-Six Roadster rescued from a mine in California by helicopter 50 years ago and referred to as "The Car That Came From The Sky" in a Horseless Carriage Club of America article. Not the biggest Peerless engine for that year...but still 578 cubic inches.

Looks like an "nth-degree" restoration. Beautiful professional photography.

1925 PEERLESS MOD. 6-72 TOURING PHAETON for sale on e-bay for about 17 hours.

Car was in San Diego the last 60 years (transported to Maine, USA last winter). Previous owner Mr. Swantz.

Thank you Scot Olthof for the information!

I just heard that the 1923 Model 66 Peerless Phaeton which was previously owned by Dr. Matthias Keller (Germany) will be for sale at a no reserve auction in Brussels, Belgium October 8th, 2012. This is one of the V-8 Peerlesses and looks like one illustrated in Maurice Hendry's chapter on Peerless in the 1973 Automobile Quarterly, VOL. 11, NO. 1.

"New Peerless Discovered" thread, Post #3, here on the Peerless Forum has a photo of this car. Auction house is PIERRE BERGE & Associes (email address: contact@pba-auctions.com). Sale estimate of 40,000-48,000 euros.

Thank you Philippe Mordant for this information!

Edited by jeff_a
More Info (see edit history)

I was not able to find if the '25 and '27 Peerlesses sold or not. The 1925 Six-72 4-Passenger Phaeton (I think that was the model) was 12 bids into the auction at about $5,800 when I checked 18 hours before auction end. The 1927 Six-60 Five-Passenger Sedan was about 18 bids in, and at about $18,000 2 hours before auction end.

There is a nice 1915 Peerless Model 48-Six Seven-Passenger Touring for sale this weekend at the Hershey RM Auction.

Last year for the luxurious and large 578 Cu. In. T-Head engine Model 48-Six Peerless, their second-biggest engine.

Was anyone at Hershey who perhaps saw this motorcar? I was curious about the condition, whether anyone heard it run, and if it sold or not.

The 1915 Peerless was bid up to $210,000 and did not sell. The car is beautiful and had an excellent restoration. It is the only 1915 Peerless that we know of.

I have the only 1916 Peerless that we know of, I wonder what that is worth?

RHL