Original Colors

studeboy

wheels.thumb.jpeg.efbfe1eb87bbda43d257b34035bf419f.jpeg

I just ran across this page again from the 1919 to 1922 parts catalog disputing the legend that all were black. This time it is reference to wheel colors when they switch to Kelsey Hayes type No. 210 wheels. EJ light six touring cars with red wheels, EJ sedans and coupe-roadsters with blue wheels. EJ chassis with lead wheels and Export cars with grey wheels.

wheels.thumb.jpeg.efbfe1eb87bbda43d257b34035bf419f.jpeg

I think we mentioned the wheels before. I really don't dispute that Light Six cars built in Canada came in other colors. They made wood bodied touring cars while South Bend was making all steel bodies (from Budd). None of this is documented in the Parts Manual.

Most all of the early Light Six sales literature mentions black cars with red pin striped wheels. Then they just dropped mentioning colors although the Special and Big Six literature called out the various colors. It just seems odd to me that the people trying to sell you a car wouldn't advertise something as important as what colors you could order unless, of course, there were no choices. This brochure was from 1920 and prices disagree with the previous tri-fold brochure I posted, so that one is probably from 1921 (It is dated as such)  although it fails to mention the Roadster.

1510109030786126051139.thumb.jpg.06ec68964983c2a6badfe11f75e381b1.jpg

Edited by Stude Light (see edit history)

• 1 year later...

Thought this information might be useful to people as to hub caps. Studebaker parts books describe the colors of hub caps only for the 1922 1923 and 1924 cars.

105499  1922 big six EK Has hexagonal red line around edge of cap.

105979  1922 1923 1924 big six EK Has red letter S in black background. Inside diameter 2 5/8 inches.

105980  1922 1923 1924 special six EL Has blue letter S in black background. Inside diameter 2 5/8 inches.

105500  1922  special six EL Has six black stripes in blue background.

44889 1922 1923 1924 light six EJ EM Has black letter S in red background. Inside diameter 2 1/2 inches.

On 6/15/2015 at 10:21 PM, 1927Chevy said:

I am thinking most Studebakers were 2 tone is it possible the Princess Lake Louise was 2 tone?

Not exactly two tone. Bodies were one color and fenders were almost always black during that era. Bodies were universally very dark colors, blue, maroon, green. They also look very nice in all black if done correctly.  

23 cover ASC peterson copy.jpg

Good afternoon. I am rebuilding a Studebaker six-cylinder from 1917. When I rescue the mechanics I had several missing, which I have managed to get, however I have started with the restoration of the engine and I still find some missing, I ask for help to get and allow me be able to put into operation Respecting originality as much as possible.
In particular I am looking for the "bendix" system that goes on the front outer tip of the crankshaft. And the gear and cover system for the installation of magneto or distributor. This parts are the same in Studebaker 4 cylinders. I add two photos in order to visually identify both parts. I will appreciate who has or can get them, send me photos and the price. (by message via Facebook and / or mail to rodriguezdieguez@cpenet.com.ar) and / or. WhatsApp 54 9 2954 737395. I am from Santa Rosa, La Pampa Argentina. I have been collecting parts for this project for more than 15 years, which I have finally started to repair.
Any kind of collaboration is appreciated. greets Atte Enzo Rodríguez Dieguez

Screenshot_20190825-213532.png