studeboy

Original Colors

I know this has been talked about a lot previously. It seems there are no chips available for colors before 1929 Studebakers. What if everyone who has a car with original paint and knows the color were to submit a photograph of same for others to see. I know that computer generated photographs aren't perfect but they are better than nothing.

I am attaching to this page the page from the 1923 to 25 parts book that lists colors available on hoods.

post-31704-143138779081_thumb.jpg

Edited by studeboy (see edit history)

Now for an original color for 1917 from the car in the Studebaker national museum. This appeared in the December Turning Wheels. These are factory original details and colors.

post-31704-143138779121_thumb.jpg

Finally for today. The color Princess Louise Lake was a 1923 1924 color. Princess Louise was the person Lake Louise was named for in Banff Alberts, a glacial lake. On the Antique Studebaker website there are photographs of a 1922 Touring Car under restoration that appears to be a glacial blue. Does anyone know how to contact the owner of that car to find out if he is copying from some original paint left on the car? It looks very much like what I would expect a color called Princess Louise Lake to look like. Anybody else have original colors remnants to share?

post-31704-14313877914_thumb.jpg

This color brochure for 1925 was on ebay a couple of weeks ago. I have never seen color chip sample before 1928 before. Unfortunately I could only capture the image as I wasn't home so resolution is poor. It still gives an idea of the colors offered in 1925.

post-31704-143139190427_thumb.jpg

post-30776-143139190682_thumb.jpg

Here three of the four pages from Volume 2 of the updated version of the 1925-26 Service Reference Library. Not all of the sets included these colors as dealers removed them for filing. In any event my one copy has 4 pages (62 different chips in all) that are fairly inclusive of all the 1925-28 Studebaker colors. It is better however to try to find a place on the car that has not been exposed in order to get a better match. I am not aware of any color chips that were issued before 1925.

post-30776-143139190636_thumb.jpg

post-30776-143139190658_thumb.jpg

post-31139-14313919295_thumb.jpg

The correct engine color for 1929-31 Studebaker 8 cyl engines is Olive Green (color of spilled oil!) attached is a photo of a restored 1930 FE engine correctly painted.

I bought a can 10 years ago from a Studebaker parts vendor ?? the label reads Studebaker Green Engine Paint, manufactured by Decatrend, Industry, CA 91746

Stude8

I know this has been talked about a lot previously. It seems there are no chips available for colors before 1929 Studebakers. What if everyone who has a car with original paint and knows the color were to submit a photograph of same for others to see. I know that computer generated photographs aren't perfect but they are better than nothing.

I am attaching to this page the page from the 1923 to 25 parts book that lists colors available on hoods.

t

I am guessing the same as the colors for a Dictator. Many color charts are available- I see them all the

time on eBay. Harder to find the Coupe Express color charts, with additional colors. Somebody correct

me if I am wrong on this. I haven't gone out to the shop to confirm it.

Also, Wiedena, you might want to start a different thread for this since the original thread was not for 1937.

Just sayin'.

post-31704-143142721588_thumb.jpgI found this information in a Canadian sales brochure for late 1922, attached. The Light six is indicated with black body blue wheels. if you look just above you can see the color indicated for the special six, studebaker blue body with black hood. Blue wheels with gold pin striping, pin striping also on louvers. It sounds like these pinstripes match the hood pin stripes on the museum car in the earlier post. Some where I have an earlier Light six brochure that indicated black body with red wheels but assumed that meant red pin striping. Has anyone seen an original car from this era with blue or red wheels? Edited by studeboy (see edit history)

Concerning the original colors. I have a 27 roadster with Elton green paint. I am a car painter with over 45 yrs. experience. On my roadster I found a good nearly unblemished patch of color in the lip of the rumble seat opening. I have access to a [color map] at work and did a spray-out with formula. It matches MY car very well. I would like someone to have this if they will put in the clubs color library for others to use. I'll mail it to you. Also, I've finally gotten e-mail. My e-mail is davidjames1949@comcast.net Ph. 256 426 2261

Thank-you, Commander Dave

Does anyone have a 1922 car with a sample of Studebaker Blue on it?

No but car tell you that it was a very dark blue. Looked black most of the time.

I am told these are original colors by a AACA old timer in his 80's who painted this very car in 1967 while working at a restoration shop, you are looking at his lacquer paint job.  I am thinking Princess Louise Lake for color. 

post-112116-0-87731000-1434325976_thumb.

• Like 1

The frame, fenders, lights, etc. that are painted green are definitely incorrect. As for the body being Princess Louise Lake...since there are no color chips from that time frame I guess the only way to know for sure is to find an original car or go visit Lake Louise in Alberta Canada. The photos of Lake Louise on the Internet vary from an aqua similar to the color of the car in the photo to a deeper blue.

Edited by Stude Light (see edit history)