my new 57 buick special

Guest Cool57special

Guest Cool57special

This is my just bought 57 special 2 door post. I am so excited about this car being mine and getting to restore it. I hope to do alot of it myself as well as have some professional help as well. It has a long way to go, as the whole floor had to be taken out, as well as a patch panel or two needing to go in. It is all there, chrome, even original hubcaps and motor (I believe). Anyway, I believe I have a good base to work with. What do you all think ?

post-81789-143138778793_thumb.jpg

post-81789-143138778819_thumb.jpg

post-81789-143138778824_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Cool57special

Thank you SO much, Bill ! It is so encouraging to hear things like that... It really helps my resolve in going forward with this :)

Troy

• 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Nice car! I hope you will find that your ball joints are in great shape. They were a one-year-only for the 57 Buick, so none of the aftermarket companies ever bothered to make them. So you'll have to find NOS Buick made ball joints, which can be pricey. Hopefully your original units will be good enough, so that you can add some extra grease, and drive them as they are. After all, you won't put enough miles on it to wear out tires anyway. Drive it and enjoy it. 

• 2 weeks later...

lump is correct about the ball joints being one year only and hard to find.  Part of the problem is that many have been replaced that are within specs.  There is no preload on these joints and good ball joints appear worn to the uninformed because they seem to have a lot of play when the wheel is off the ground.  Follow the service manual instructions to check for ball joint play.

• Like 1

Right on, Polara. But again, even if those original joints are worn...it won't make too much difference (unless they are dangerously loose). Most of us don't drive these cars enough to cause excessive tire wear anyway. Drive it and enjoy it!