Chrysler ignition coil

Guest Executivekev

Guest Executivekev

I have a 1931 Chrysler CD 8. The ignition switch is part of the coil and when I tried to find a new one it seems they dont exist anymore.

Anyone know how to add in an external 6 volt coil whilst still retaining the original switch?

Thanks for your help.

You can continue to use the old switch and coil with a new coil. Just splice the new coil into the wire from the old coil to the distributor. Be sure the "-" terminal of the new coil goes to the distributor. I do see the original coils occasionally on ebay, but only about once a month.

Guest martylum

Keisers correct.on a 29 Desoto project which has the ignition switch in the coil the switch went bad-postmetal parts. I was able to cobble together a new switch and new 6 V coil using modern parts plus some tubular steel. The switch fits in the dash looking almost original and the coil is attached to the dash using the original studs and a made up metal mounting bracket for the coil.

I experienced a failed coil in my 30 Desoto on a Tour in Florida and had to strap in a new 6 V coil I was carrying as a spare along the roadside as dark was closing in along the Atlantic Ocean with the sand fleas biting............

On the 29 I decided I wanted the maximum reliability gained using all new parts.

I'm still driving the 30 with a strapped in extra coil-so far the switch is OK but it's just a matter of time..

Marty Lum

Guest Executivekev

Kaiser

Which wires do I leave on the old coil. I can mount the new coil right next to the old one and tap off the existing coil.

Not certain. I got the info elsewhere on the forum and passed it along here. I would imagine that you would tap the new coil in using the same posts as the old coil. I am certainly no electrical whiz, myself, so you might wait until someone who knows more chimes in.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Guest Shadrach

Sir; I recently purchased a new 6 volt coil for my 1931 Plymouth. from Atwater-Kent Mfg. Co. 12 Jacques St. Worcester,Ma. 01603 It was a bit cashy but they told me they were the only company in the world that made these coils. It also has the key in the end. Good luck. Shadrach Phone 508 792 9500

• 4 months later...

Read this post and thought I would update. I tried calling this number today and reached Mike at KM Lifestyle Manufacturing. According to their web site (www.mykmlifestyle.com), the official source of Atwater Kent products. KM Lifestyle still manufactures the early Dodge key/coil combinations as found on my 1930 and 1931 Dodge trucks. They also may be able to rebuild your existing key/coil depending on the condition. They are available at the phone number / address below. As a side note, they also are able to recut new keys for existing Atwater Kent key/coils based on your existing tumbler. As hard as it is to track down parts sources for some of these 80+ year old machines, I thought it important to shout this out.

(508) 792 - 9500 Hours of Operation

12 Jacques St. Monday - Friday

Worcester, MA 01603 9 AM. - 5 PM.

• Like 1

Guest wombvette
Read this post and thought I would update. I tried calling this number today and reached Mike at KM Lifestyle Manufacturing. According to their web site (www.mykmlifestyle.com), the official source of Atwater Kent products. KM Lifestyle still manufactures the early Dodge key/coil combinations as found on my 1930 and 1931 Dodge trucks. They also may be able to rebuild your existing key/coil depending on the condition. They are available at the phone number / address below. As a side note, they also are able to recut new keys for existing Atwater Kent key/coils based on your existing tumbler. As hard as it is to track down parts sources for some of these 80+ year old machines, I thought it important to shout this out.

(508) 792 - 9500 Hours of Operation

12 Jacques St. Monday - Friday

Worcester, MA 01603 9 AM. - 5 PM.

Just be careful, this guy is pretty shady, and will not refund money if you dont like the product. Make sure you have terms in writing and are very clear on what the deal is.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Will any 6 volt coil work?  If not, what's special about the early coils?

The "special" part of the coil is that it is attached to the ignition switch. Similar to this 1931 Dodge coil....

post-81542-0-78146200-1440954184_thumb.j

post-81542-0-32217200-1440954200_thumb.j

The coil I pulled from my 31 plymouth PA wasn't keyed.  It was just a simple coil with a positive and negative connection plus the center main line to the distributor cap.  I damaged it, bought a new 6 volt online and the car starts but it's not idling and running like an old washing machine.  Any ideas?  Oh I did locate top dead center number 4 and marked it on the distributor cap.  I connected everything in a 1342 firing order going clockwise around the distributor.  I can only assume the issue is my coil.

The coil I pulled from my 31 plymouth PA wasn't keyed.  It was just a simple coil with a positive and negative connection plus the center main line to the distributor cap.  I damaged it, bought a new 6 volt online and the car starts but it's not idling and running like an old washing machine.  Any ideas?  Oh I did locate top dead center number 4 and marked it on the distributor cap.  I connected everything in a 1342 firing order going clockwise around the distributor.  I can only assume the issue is my coil.

Sounds as if the car had the incorrect coil when you got it.

Sounds as if the car had the incorrect coil when you got it.

Interesting.  If that's the case, I'll look for a keyed system.  I had no idea.  This year model didn't come with a maintenance manual.  Just an owner's manual and that's not mentioned.

Thanks,

Jim

Guest 32stude

Be careful 1931 Chrysler product coil is different from the 1932 version. Both are keyed coils but the switch end that mounts to the dash is different.