1943 or 1944??

Guest Dick Whittington

A trick I learned is to look at the dates on the window glass. It's usually found in the corner. I ran across a guy who claimed he had a 1943 sedan (it was obviously a 1946). I showed him that all the glass was dated 3/46. He was flustered, but still kept advertising at as a "1943 army staff car" even though it was a Master Deluxe with all the flashy chrome.

Another place to look is the taillight lens. I don't know about cars of this era, but in the late 50's and early 60's the first two digits of the part number stamped in the lens represented the year (or was it the last two digits? That was a long time ago). This wasn't always right, but it was useful when I worked at a parts store and many people didn't know the year of their car.

Let us know if you find any dates.

Don

The MS in the VIN number indicates a 1942, 1943, 1944 or 1945. The motor number will help narrow it down as well as knowing the truck series. MS indicates a 1 1/2 ton truck on the 160inch wheelbase. Begining serial number was MS-1001 and continued through this series of trucks. 1942 motor numbers were 2AF-1001 & up or BF-1001 & up for the Stake Express or Stock Express bodys. 1944 and 1945 MS trucks used motor number BG-580921. There is no listing for 1943 and it appears any built in 1943 would continue the 1942 motor number series. Source: 1949 Red Book.

Guest Dick Whittington
Military use, perhaps? There were no trucks being made for the civilian market in 1943 or 1944, correct?

The odds are that you don't have a true 43 or 44 vehicle, even if the title states that.

Here's a good discussion of the topic on HAMB:

Is there such a thing as a 1943 Chevy pickup? - THE H.A.M.B.

There were 1943 and 1944 vehicles built mainly for emergency service or extreme hardship.

Guest Dick Whittington
The MS in the VIN number indicates a 1942, 1943, 1944 or 1945. The motor number will help narrow it down as well as knowing the truck series. MS indicates a 1 1/2 ton truck on the 160inch wheelbase. Begining serial number was MS-1001 and continued through this series of trucks. 1942 motor numbers were 2AF-1001 & up or BF-1001 & up for the Stake Express or Stock Express bodys. 1944 and 1945 MS trucks used motor number BG-580921. There is no listing for 1943 and it appears any built in 1943 would continue the 1942 motor number series. Source: 1949 Red Book.

Thanks much my friend. My friend will be happy to get this information. He is trying to get a title and the state has no info as to what year model it might be. :D:D

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Andy E.
Military use, perhaps? There were no trucks being made for the civilian market in 1943 or 1944, correct?

The odds are that you don't have a true 43 or 44 vehicle, even if the title states that.

Here's a good discussion of the topic on HAMB:

Is there such a thing as a 1943 Chevy pickup? - THE H.A.M.B.

they made civilian trucks but very few, I own a 1944 model MS 1 1/2 ton civilian blackout model, they built 108 in '44, the MS is a 1942 model that continued until July '45 and the'42 serial #s continued sequentially from Sept. '41 through July 30 '45, the civilian trucks had no stainless trim, tin painted all the same as the body the windshield post seams are welded from the outside and not finished and outside door handles are tin coated with brown plastic.

My page gives you the whole range of military US Chevies including the MS models. Somewhere I have a list of trucks abd cars ordered by Defence Aid etc. contract.

SYMBOL PREFIX:

This page gives you engine number starts:

ENGINE SERIAL NUMBER IDENTIFICATION

In Canada there were a few civilian trucks built for essential users in 1943 and 1944, and then 1945 just before the war ended. These are identifiable by the Model Year prefix though I have to say that some '1940' military trucks were built alongside '1941' trucks....

• 3 years later...
Guest R Mart

How many esintial use 1 1/2 ton chevy trucks built September 1944 I am currently restoring one. It's titled as a 1942. But all casting # and speedometer say sept. 44