bepnewt

I want an "original" carb -- 1964 Riviera

Hey Ed! Are you positive that the gasket goes under the steel plate? If so, mine is "backward", with the steel plate stuck pretty tightly to the manifold with some unknown sealant, & the paper gasket between the plate & carb. This is a '65 (Carter AFB)

Steel plate needed to keep corrosive gasses away from aluminum base of the carb.  Steel against the base of the carb for heat transfer.  Fiber gasket on manifold so horseshoe channel allows the flow of gasses (heat) through passages.   Steel plate on manifold would block passages. Fiber gasket against carb would act as insulator.  Make sense?

17 hours ago, RivNut said:

That "thing sticking out" is the hot air inlet for the choke.  A separate tube runs from a tube inside the exhaust manifold and supplies hot air to the choke coil.

Thanks, Ed.  The carb I pulled off of my car didn't have an automatic choke so this tube likely doesn't exist on my car right now.  Is it easy to describe where on the exhaust manifold the tube connects?

-BEP

I can't explain it put here are pictures of the manifolds .  There are different casting numbers for different manifolds for 64, but they're all correct.  The tube may be in a slightly different place,  but you'll get the idea.

Passenger's side manifold. The manifold is not oriented as it would be on the car. The tube will be pointing up and to the rear. 

The hot air tube (from the choke housing on the carb) is tapered on the end and is inserted into the tube sticking out of the manifold it has a fitting on the other end that screws to the choke housing - (your latest inquiry.)

20180201_125926.thumb.jpg.e8f4e90c85a2d34a4d3f7eb21ba226c9.jpg

The same manifold from the bottom.  The other end of the tube.  A hose runs from this end of the tube to the nipple on the air horn of the carb.  Fresh filtered air supply.  

20180201_125941.thumb.jpg.aa24141fef46a04da55b9fcabacbf264.jpg

So, let's review hoses and lines.  

Top left front of carb, line  - fuel inlet

Bottom left front of carb, hose - vacuum advance to distributor

Bottom left back of carb, line - vacuum modulator on transmission

Top left on air horn, hose - filtered air supply to bottom of exhaust manifold

Bottom rear of carb, Tee - hoses to:  power brake booster, and PCV valve in passenger's side valve cover.

Ed

Thanks, Tom and Ed.  I'm sending the link to this thread to my mechanically minded coworker who got it running so he can read all the good info provided so far.

Since I doubt my car has the missing tube for the choke housing, I'll need to procure one.  Is that something I should be able to source at a local AutoZone / O'Reilly's?

We'll have her running soon.

-BEP

48 minutes ago, bepnewt said:

Thanks, Tom and Ed.  I'm sending the link to this thread to my mechanically minded coworker who got it running so he can read all the good info provided so far.

Since I doubt my car has the missing tube for the choke housing, I'll need to procure one.  Is that something I should be able to source at a local AutoZone / O'Reilly's?

We'll have her running soon.

-BEP

I'd say not. But you can get the proper sized tubing and fitting and make one of your own.  You'll need to figure out a way to taper the one end.  CARS sells the white insulating sleeve that covers the tube.  

Better to get the insulating sleeve from one of the Corvette suppliers as mentioned in threads previous to this one.

Tom T.