bepnewt

I want an "original" carb -- 1964 Riviera

bepnewt    10

Thanks so much for all the great information.

I'm on a deadline at work that won't allow me to do anything productive at home for about a week.  I'll pick back up on this after these design docs are completed.

-BEP

telriv    44

Out of ALL the 1st. Gen owners on this forum NOBODY has any pictures for Brian to look at to help him to determine the proper routing of these choke tubes???

Tom T.

bepnewt    10

I hope to have time Sunday to get back on this.  I'll thoroughly read yours and Ed's posts to see what I can get done myself.  After I do make some progress, I'll post some updated pics.

There's a guy about 1.5 miles away that has a '64 Riv in his driveway that isn't in great condition.  I spoke to him once and I think he said it was his fathers many years ago.  I'm going to see if I can catch him and take a look at his engine to see if it has everything hooked up.

-BEP

telriv    44

Wonderin' how you made out Brian???? Get the time yet to install???

Hope your Thanksgiving was "Stuffing" & an even HAPPIER MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Tom T.

bepnewt    10

The carb is still sitting there bolted onto the manifold.  My life has been and is still: wake up, go to work, come home from work, eat, log back into work, sleep.  Rinse and repeat.  On weekends, it's get out of bed, log into work, go to bed.  It's been this way since the beginning of October.

This cycle isn't going to stop until some time in mid-January ( I hope ).  At that point, I will be able to look at the car.

I appreciate you checking up on me, I just wish I had better news.

-BEP

bepnewt    10

Well, I had a local Buick Guru set up to come over and I was going to pay him to get it all hooked up correctly but he didn't show and has gone ghost.

I looked at the instructions again on the previous page and did my best to move things around where I thought they went.  Here is a current video of what I have going.  Am I getting close?  I'm sure the instructions by Ed and Tom are spot on, but I don't know what half the car parts they mentioned are so I just kind of winged it and guessed.

Latest Cab Video on YouTube

-BEP

telriv    44

Run the vacuum advance hose UNDER the A/C bracket. Either shorten or tie down the fuel line hose so when air cleaner is installed it won't rub. Other than that ALL looks OK to start.

bepnewt    10

Thanks, Tom.

I moved the vacuum hose and I shortened the fuel line.  I probably should have tied the fuel line down because it does rub when I have the air cleaner set on the carb.  Now, it's so short, there's no slack to tie it down.  I'm heading to the auto parts store anyway after I know what set screw(?) to get so I'll get some more hose while I am there.

The aftermarket carb that was on the car when I bought it had an aftermarket air cleaner as seen in the first pic of this thread.  I do have an air cleaner that is supposed to be for this '64.  The air cleaner sits well on the carb but the lid fits inside of the cleaner.  Is this correct?  I could see it being correct if the filter is what holds it up.  I'll attach a picture.

Also, I don't have the set screw that holds the air cleaner lid down on the air cleaner.  Does anyone know what size set screw I need - length, diameter, and threads-per-inch?

Tom - I need to get the bad carb and parts I have mailed off to you.  Is the Cook St. address where I should send it?

-BEP

64RivieraAirCleaner.JPG

RivNut    948

Get a piece of all-thread that will screw into the top of the carb and a wing nut that screws onto it.  Figure out how long it needs to be and cut it off.  The correct air filter has a flange on it that supports the lid.  The proper orientation is for the snorkel to point towards the power steering pump. There are tabs on the air cleaner that align with posts on the carb. 

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

bepnewt    10

Good deal.  It finally hit me that I had the messed up carb still so I took it to the hardware store and got a bar of all-thread that fit it along with a matching wingnut.  Thanks, Ed.

I ordered a filter, it will be at the parts store tomorrow.

The old dirt and grease was caked on the air cleaner pretty good.  I decided to use a wire wheel to get it clean and that of course took off the paint.  So, after I finish taking all the paint off, I'll have to repaint the air cleaner.  I planned on using a black high-heat rustoleum spray.  Is there a better option than that?

-BEP

bepnewt    10

I forgot to mention... IT'S ALIVE!

She started right up with very little coaxing.  In fact, it was easier to start it this time after a year of sitting than it was back with the previous carburetor.  I will need to tweak the choke and idle some but man, that felt good hearing the roar of the Nailhead after sooooo long.

-BEP

telriv    44

That's good to hear Brian. Glad ALL worked out to your satisfaction!!!!

Yes, the same address.

Tom T.

bepnewt    10

The old carb was finally mailed today to the Cook St. address.

Thanks again.

-BEP

telriv    44

Brian,

Just to let you know the parts arrived today. As was mentioned this is ONLY good for a FEW parts. The rest is trash.

Thank you,

Tom T.