oldcar

Lagonda Rapiers

362 posts in this topic

Bernie that helps. I also looked at some sites that provide average weather data. Your climate is quite mild (ie, temp more consistent) compared to where I am in the USA. The humidity is similar, maybe some higher in Melbourne. Your weather is what we would consider 'short sleeve weather' all year around.

Melbourne sounds like a place I would enjoy visiting.

Posted (edited)

Hello Paul

Melbourne is said to be one of the worlds "Most liveable cities". We have a very cosmopolitan population. Up until the Post WW2 years ago we were very Anglo Saxon. Probably not all that different to the USA except that in more recent years we have had a large number of Asian immigrants. 

The long aeroplane journey tends to put off some people from visiting. Not too many Studebakers left these days. In the 1960/70s we had a Daytona Wagon, a great family car..

Bj 

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

Actually Bernie, the numbers of Studebakers in Australia is steadily increasing - there have been quite a few that have been imported from the US in the last few years. Especially the higher performance Studes. A lot of very serious Studebaker collectors down under.  

Posted (edited)

Hello Paul

Thinking about it, my intoduction to Studebakers was much earlier; I must have been four or five, I Started Primary School at age  four and a half in 1940, during the earliest years of WW2. Our neighbourhood Grocery-shop proprietor drove a 1928 Stude tourer that he was extremely proud of. It was washed and polished every Sunday morning in the rear right of way (back-lane) behind his shop. No Super markets then. Shop-keepers lived in residences behind or above their small shops. Those were the days when Biscuits came in large square tins and were weighed out and placed in brown paper bags at the time of purchase. Broken biscuits were removed and very good little boys were given one or two when their mother was purchasing groceries. Nothing was pre-packed but weighed out at the time of purchase.

That must make me very ancient!

Bernie j.

Like to know more? Try putting "Businesses in Burgundy St Heidelberg, Vic Aust, 1940" into your search engine.

On 6/4/2017 at 10:55 PM, r1lark said:

Your climate is quite mild (ie, temp more consistent) compared to where I am in the USA. The humidity is similar, maybe some higher in Melbourne. Your weather is what we would consider 'short sleeve weather' all year around.

One of the advantages of living in Melbourne is that the Lagonda goes from one years end to the next without having the top put up. It still has the same top that I fitted in 1979, carefully stowed away in the rear of the car. In the same time I have had three tonneau covers. The current black one is becoming slightly faded.

Bj.

Posted (edited)

Looking back through all this stuff, I have not driven he Lagonda since the start of December last year. If it stays in the garage much longer I will not have to worry about replacing anything, it will have taken root. Changing the subject ever so slightly I actually pulled out the lawn mower and cut the grass of our minuscule back lawn. This is now much less time consuming since I found this magic product. My normally recalctrient mower fired up first pull of the starting cord. Unbelievable! Just a short, three of four second squirt into the air intake and it was "All systems go, up, up and away! "

594613f624790_Startingfluid.thumb.jpeg.1625ae09a30ee93e25b3cf7de7d5298e.jpeg

Posted (edited)

After some anxious waiting the Royal Mail man has done his stuff and has earned his UK £3.30. Despite the advertised 5 to 7 days delivery time, he has excelled himself taking just 17 days to frantically pedal his bicycle all the way from the Welsh Borders, UK to East Doncaster, Australia.

Perhaps I can now finally finish putting KG 5363 back together again.

Bernie j

594782cf354a7_RapierWater-pumpcarbonsealsidetwo.thumb.jpeg.808abc1b88741a8bb4aeb5c93d6a497f.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Some progress on the Rapier today, our son Steve called in and was able to assist me in pressing the new seal into its housing. The water-pump is now back together and fitted. Tomorrow I have the delightful job of re-fitting the radiator and the bonnet (hood).  More lying on the cold garage floor. One thing for sure is that I will not be going to sleep.

Bj

2 hours ago, oldcar said:

More lying on the cold garage floor. One thing for sure is that I will not be going to sleep. Bj

I do some of my best thinking lying under my old cars :).

Usually use a thick piece of cardboard in the winter - I despise those roll-around 'creepers'.

Hello Paul

I too threw my "creeper" away years ago. I use pieces of carpet and rotate them, simply throwing them in the bin if they get too grotty. The good news is that with the new seal in the water-pump and almost everything back how it should be, the Rapier is running and I have only to pin down one or two small oil leaks before I take it out for a road test but it is sounding great (at last). I will have to re-torque the cylinder head nuts once it has done a few miles. It is incredible how much difference the new exhaust headers seem to make. The old ones were almost 40 years old and had quite a number of repairs and patches over that time. Also I changed the design very slightly to make them easier to fit and take off. I am still using the same muffler and tail pipe. The muffler is in good rust free condition, so I really have no need to change it.  I do not like excessively noisy exhausts.

Bj

Good to hear that you have the Rapier back running. I'll bet you are looking forward to some 'wind in the hair' driving. (For me, it would just be wind on my head since I don't have much hair left ;) .)

Hello Paul

You are not the only one that is deprived in hirsute department. After a over 80 years of scratching my head I barely have enough to keep my ears warm.

On the subject of overly noisy exhausts, as one who drives their vintage car over some considerable distances, nothing is worse than having a loud exhaust snarling at you for mile after mile.

Years ago I had the "privilege" of driving a friends Jaguar XK 120 with "racing exhaust' for about 150 miles! At the end of the trip I felt that I had driven it for 15,000 miles non stop. I had a splitting head-ache and felt physically sick. 

Bernie j.