Fender supports...what do they look like?

airbrushguy

The bottom fender support brackets on my '39 Century are all mangled on the ends. As a result I can't tell where they attach and How they should be straightened. Does anyone have some clear pics of where the attach and what the ends look like?

Also, are there rear fender supports or do they just attach to those inner mud-guards?

Thanks

Guest Grant Magrath

You can see some of the supports in this pic.....

167645_1815901715561_1180632791_32188531_672976_n.jpg

From memory, the rear fenders have a bracket that attaches to the bottom edge. There should be a hole there for it to attach to.

Cheers

Grant

PS My memory has been known to be faulty!

Does anyone have a picture of what they look like on the car? Where do they bolt to the front frame and is the part that bolts to the fender a straight loop aligned to the bracket ? Mine is so twisted on the fender end, I can't tell whether it was straight or 90 degrees.

I could also use a picture of the rear brackets.

All the front fender braces I have would need to be repaired if I were to use them. I think I'll eventually make them out of a bit heavier gauge material. Bob' Auto sells repros if you are not able to make them yourself and may be a cheaper alternative to making them yourself.

Danny

• 4 years later...

I think I have the front fender braces sorted, but clearly we did not take enough pictures. No matter how many you take you never take enough. Can anyone help with the location of these 2 braces?

331D5AAD-8064-4F64-94A6-5076199C5DAD_zps

And (for some reason, and I may be wrong, but I think this one goes under the dash?)

1B78EAC5-5AA2-47F4-963B-88C7465683A8_zps

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)

The top photo goes in the engine bay. The circular cut out is for the radiator hose. Goes about 45°

Second photo. Is for cowl air vent

Will look at my collection of photos and send an email

Edit

From an email with Billy the second photo is not for the cowl vent

It is Part 1310741 Brace steering column.

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

Re: front fender braces

I have attached a couple of pictures of a front fender brace installed, I believe, in 1939. I have recently been working with mine and they look like there should be a left and a right but Bob's catalog only shows one. A little shaping of the ends must be necessary to make them fit. Strongly recommend new, either fabricated or after-market production. Bob H

post-136756-0-34948600-1454965962_thumb.

post-136756-0-26447900-1454966009_thumb.

post-136756-0-65166900-1454966028_thumb.

The bottom fender support brackets on my '39 Century are all mangled on the ends. As a result I can't tell where they attach and How they should be straightened. Does anyone have some clear pics of where the attach and what the ends look like?

Also, are there rear fender supports or do they just attach to those inner mud-guards?

Thanks

They might be the same as these from a Special. I can check my book later. No damage, light clean up and bolt on. PM me if interested. Gregpost-102998-0-91429000-1455047859_thumb.oops! Here it is. Crappy place to take pix! Edited by Guest (see edit history)