• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 rapidride2

rapidride2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:00 PM

Lately i have been interested in doing my first body off restoration. Today's labor rates for restorations along with the cost of a desired,finished #2 car. I do not paint or bodywork but have a very good connection in that department. I do have a place to do such work. My intentions are to get a hold of a car that has minimal rust issues that is complete and that can be completely disassembled, rebuilt, refinished, and reassembled.

Question:

Are there any guys on here that have actually saved money on doing most of the restoration work on their cars? I ask this because most say they lose money even if they do their own work.

I am in disbelief of what the car market has done the last 10-15 years (even in these hard times) I must say i am looking for an alternative than paying for the labor rates of today's restoration shops.

As i bounce this idea around in my head,,,,
ANY ADVICE would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Dwight Romberger

Dwight Romberger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:42 PM

Buy a car that is already in the condition you want.

Drive it with the idea that you will make the necessary repairs to keep it that way.

You will not save any money doing a restoration. It doesn't matter who does it.

#3 rapidride2

rapidride2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 02:52 AM

For whatever reason this is what i am having a problem grasping.

For instance i feel i can perform a frame off restoration to my rust free 76, silverado for approximately12-14k. However if i took this to a reputable shop i could easily see 30-40k with today's labor rates. Naturally this wouldn't make sense as the labor of the shop would far outweigh the value of the finished truck.

I saw a west coast guy spend 230k on the complete rotisserie restoration of a 54 roadmaster convertible. The car was clean to start with. It's these labor rates that i am having a problem with.

On a side note i wouldn't exactly count my time on a dollar for dollar basis as i enjoy working on my own classics far too much to count every minute of my time.

#4 wmsue

wmsue

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 03:02 AM

Costs have risen.
It's taken over two years for me to get the body of my 65 Electra Conv. ready to paint. New OEM fenders, sanded off all panels to bare metal, filled and primed with self-etching primer. Doors adjusted and body panel edge lines are pretty darn good. Complete interior and all chrome and weatherstripping taken off. Hard to guess what the cost would have been if I had it done professionally. I'm sure they'd have it done faster. I got a few prices on painting this summer after being put on 'hold' by a local shop. Most of the prices started at 5K for priming and painting. So I've decided to paint it myself in the spring. The shops all wanted to use Urethane and clear coat. I'll use Acrylic Enamel. I'm in the process of sanding the old fenders down and preping them exactly like I've prepped the car. I'll make a nice wooden stand that simulates how they would sit on the car and try my hand at painting them the first nice weekend we get in April or May. I've got an HVLP system I've used for many years painting houses both interior and exterior. Never tried it on a car, so this will be the first. I'm guessing I'll have under $500 in materials. Sea Foam Green Metallic color. I've got all winter to read up on what could go wrong. That means I'll have more $$$ available to buy my new conv. top. and maybe enough to have the trans rebuilt over the winter. That's one job that I'm not experienced enough to do. What does a rebuild of a ST400 run these days if I take it out of the car?

Thanks
Bill
BCA - AACA - WOKR
Kinsman, Ohio
65 Buick Electra Conv.
95 Ford Ranger 2WD

#5 rapidride2

rapidride2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 03:35 AM

That trans rebuild would cost $300-$450 in my area out of the car.
Of course that would be just a rebuild. Any correct detailing would be extra.

#6 shadetree77

shadetree77

Dynaflow Creep

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,070 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 November 2011 - 06:20 AM

You will not save any money doing a restoration. It doesn't matter who does it.

I agree with Dwight, it doesn't matter which way you go. In the end you are probably going to put way more into it than you could get out of it when it's done, especially in today's market. I say do it yourself. Not because it's more cost effective, but because of the simple fact that it's fun. If you enjoy it, that's reason enough in my book. Whatever you decide, good luck in your endeavors and keep us updated on the restoration!

BCA #46402

Buicktown Chapter Member
KFOCI #10647

beautiful buick.jpg

1952 Buick Special Deluxe 41D (Lucy)
(My Dad And I Finally Have A Project Car)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan (Linus)
(Another One?! But I'm Not Even Done With The Buick Yet!! :P)
1979 Thunderbird Town Landau
(Highly Neglected Since I Got My Buick)
1977 Thunderbird Town Landau
(My First Car Given To Me By My Uncle w/ 20,000 Original Miles & Wrecked In 2004(not my fault) w/ 70,000 Miles, R.I.P.)

#7 Kingoftheroad

Kingoftheroad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 01:01 PM

Most people will tell you, the chances you'll get your money back on a restoration are slim !! Restoring a car is a labor of love, doing it for the love of the automobile.

If your gonna keep the truck, fix it up the way you like it then enjoy it.. Don't worry about the money as long as you can afford it..

Edited by Kingoftheroad, 25 November 2011 - 01:05 PM.

#8 buick5563

buick5563

Proud BCA Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,754 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 25 November 2011 - 03:56 PM

Another thing to consider is that just the parts necessary to do a complete restoration (or even hot rodding) can often add up to more than a car is worth. If you are going to paint, you need all new weatherstripping. Take the body off? New rubber body mounting pads. You end up spending $1000 just in rubber. More rubber costs, new tires. Everything adds up, and that's just parts.

For rapidride, good luck with your truck project.

For anybody else, ALWAYS buy the best car you can afford. You will always spend more than you expected to, whether you do it yourself or pay somebody else.
Mike Middleton

http://www.midtownrestorations.com
Regional Co-Director South Central Region BCA
Vice Director Alamo Chapter BCA
Assistant Chairman BCA Driven Class

1955 Special 2 dr. sedan (BCA Gold Senior Driver)
1955 Century convertible (Updates at Me and My Buick http://forums.aaca.o...ect-272999.html)
1955 Century Estate Wagon (Driven Hard and Fast)
1948 Buick powered hot rod
1931 Model A hot rod

#9 sintid58

sintid58

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 07:17 PM

I am repairing my 55 with the idea that when done I want a driver and don't want to have so much invested I am afraid to drive it whenever and where ever I want. The people that spend thousand totally restoring a car to better than new perfection will think it is a joke but it will look good and what is more important to me is drive good and if they don't like it too bad. Also unlike so many of them I won't have $100,000 invested in a $20,000 car and not be able to sell it if I decide I want to do that. Also as you can see by my signature I enjoy a variety of cars and would rather have a shop full of nice drivers to enjoy rather than one just to look at and haul around on a trailer.

Edited by sintid58, 25 November 2011 - 07:19 PM.

Sid Rollings, BCA 35190, AACA 991083 / BPG 2156 / 2013 Kia Soul (ok it was really cheap to lease) / 2007 Harley Davidson CVO Springer Screaming Eagle / 1982 Honda CB 900 Custom / 1990 Maui Blue Reatta / 1970 Riviera /1965 GMC Hot Rod / 1963 Buick Special Wagon Fireball v/6 manual transmission / 1958 Special / Company Car 2012 Volvo 730

#10 Caribou

Caribou

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:23 PM

I've definitely squirmed about the price. I decided to do body on to spread the cost out a bit. (Then I spent the last three months and thousands of dollars finishing my garage before I even start this project.)

I frequently need to remind myself that this is meant to be fun, and that's why I'm doing it. Otherwise yeah, to me the math says go buy something that's already in good shape.
Geoff, from the land of salt and slush. Pictures of my one and only project: 71 Buick LeSabre, two door convertible.
BCA #46933

#11 Skyking

Skyking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,155 posts
  • LocationRhode Island / Florida

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:24 AM

I'll use Acrylic Enamel. Sea Foam Green Metallic color. I've got all winter to read up on what could go wrong.

Bill, if you've never painted a car before, I truly recommend using BC/CC painting any metallic color.......
Bob
1962 Buick Invicta Convertible
1954 Metropolitan Convertible
1957 Metropolitan Coupe
1960 Metropolitan Coupe (Gold National Winner) 399 1/2 points out of 400
2000 Buick Century
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
2015 Chevrolet Equinox

MOCNA/Yankee Mets

When people rob banks they go to prison.
When they rob the taxpayer they get re-elected.

#12 rapidride2

rapidride2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:15 AM

By the way Buick guys... Don't count me out as i also have a 52' 2-door roadmaster that i plan on enjoying just the way it is (other than mechanical repairs) rescued from a farmers field simply because it will be alot more costly restoration. I figured the 76 pickup would be an easier resto.

#13 JohnD1956

JohnD1956

Buick Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,737 posts
  • LocationSchenectady, NY

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:34 AM

Is there a market for that 76 Pickup?
test image with cannon gateway b w 1

John C. De Fiore BCA # 3757
2015 BCA BOARD OF DIRECTORS CANDIDATE: see bio here
http://forums.aaca.o...ate-387705.html

current toys
56 Super 56R: acquired September 1974. 69 GS 400: Convertible added in 2003. 72 Electra Limited added July 2014.
78 Estate Wagon added October-2008. 2013 Regal GS acquired Aug 2013.

Former toys:
69 Electra Limited 2 dr. bought 1995 or so, sold in 2007. 95 Riviera added May 1998, sold in 2006.
06 Lacrosse CXL purchased July 4th 2006, and traded in Aug 2013.

"Yes! I'd really rather drive my Buick!"
Member of the UPSTATE NY CHAPTER
check it out at : http://unybca.com

#14 Caballero2

Caballero2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:50 AM

Patience and tenacity are key ingredients to doing a body off. I have done two and have been very satified with the results. The first, a 1957 Caballero begun in 1984 and finished in time for the 1991 national show in Sacramento. The second a 1957 Roadmaster convertible begun in November 1991 and just finished (never really finished) this month. I warn you that life circumstances can cause signficant delays, but you seem to be up to the task and I think that you will enjoy the work and at a pace that you set yourself. If a spouse is involved, the project is that more enjoyable. I will attach some photos that will indicate just what I went through. The file names reflect the year the photo was taken. Dan

Attached Thumbnails

• 2011Roadmaster07_15 002.jpg
  • 00ROAD3.JPG
  • 08EnginePl2.jpg
  • 00CHASSIS1.JPG
  • 93RoadmasterDanLarry.jpg
  • 94Caballero.jpg
  • 87CAB02.JPG
  • 87CAB03.JPG
  • 86CAB1.JPG
  • 85CAB2.JPG

#15 Rob McDonald

Rob McDonald

Sr (grey-haired) Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 02:08 AM

RR2, I agree with everything said here, that it makes no dollars and cents to restore most cars and even less so with trucks. Happily though, many of us aren't practical enough to really care about that. So we spend foolish sums of money and time bringing dead vehicles back to life - and the world's a better place for it.

CASE IN POINT: Dan's Magnificent Sevens ('57s, that is). I'll bet he didn't spend much time fretting about hitting that critical point, where he might have spent more on the cars than they could be worth at auction. Does that ever really matter, as long as you're pleased with the results? Huge bonus if your spouse is pleased, too.

Speaking from north of the border, single stage acrylic enamel isn't available anymore, due to environmental limits on VOCs. I had my MBG painted with it six years ago. The nose of the car was recently backed into and it's now in for repairs. The couple of shops I talked to said they'd have to try to "dumb down" the gloss of base coat/clear coat to match the old finish. Interesting to see how that turns out.

Edited by Rob McDonald, 26 November 2011 - 02:21 AM.
overlapping posts

Rob McDonald
1957 Buick Roadmaster model 73A, owned since February 1973

#16 trimacar

trimacar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,673 posts
  • LocationWinchester VA.

Posted 26 November 2011 - 02:22 AM

I'm a trimmer, so don't quite understand the base coat clear coat question.

It seems to me that a paint job with color all the way through (i.e. no clear coat) would be best.

My Pierce is painted with Glasurit, about 8 years ago. It's not a "deep" paint (as is the old lacquer paints), but it shines and looks great, and is very durable. Perfect for a car meant to be driven....

I once heard that clear coat was developed because of the high cost of primary paint, thus you could put on a base coat, then build it up with less expensive paint. I'm sure someone will comment on that.

I've also heard that it's difficult to fix minor problems with clear coat, as it's hard to make things blend...again, comments?
David Coco
Winchester Va.
(early upholstery, will discuss
2015 projects)
1910 Model 20 Hupmobile runabout
1910 Buick Model 16 toy tonneau
1910 Hudson Model 20 fore door roadster
1927 Dodge fast four convertible coupe
1931 Chevrolet tudor
1931 Pierce Arrow Model 43 phaeton
1937 Cord standard phaeton
1938 Packard Super 8 convertible coupe
1953 Chevrolet 5 window pickup
1967 Lincoln Continental convertible
1969 Cutlass convertible
1971 Pontiac Firebird Esprit

#17 rapidride2

rapidride2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 03:28 AM

Is there a market for that 76 Pickup?

Ha,, not much of a market for that 76 pickup. Very nice truck. I just figured that it would be an easier project to do a first full restoration to get my feet wet.

By the way John do you know a fellow in your neck of the woods by the name of Duane Dodds who owned a 56' Buick Roadmaster 2-door? (turquoise and white)

#18 Skyking

Skyking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,155 posts
  • LocationRhode Island / Florida

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:24 PM

I'm a trimmer, so don't quite understand the base coat clear coat question.

It seems to me that a paint job with color all the way through (i.e. no clear coat) would be best.

Not if a novice is doing metallic. A single application of metallic takes a lot of experience. When I painted my 66 Skylark, it was the 2nd car I had ever painted and being metallic I didn't want the blotcheness associated with metallic so I used DuPont bc/cc and it came out perfect. Anyone that seen it at the Buffalo or Flint Nationals would agree.
Bob
1962 Buick Invicta Convertible
1954 Metropolitan Convertible
1957 Metropolitan Coupe
1960 Metropolitan Coupe (Gold National Winner) 399 1/2 points out of 400
2000 Buick Century
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
2015 Chevrolet Equinox

MOCNA/Yankee Mets

When people rob banks they go to prison.
When they rob the taxpayer they get re-elected.

#19 JohnD1956

JohnD1956

Buick Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,737 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 08:38 PM

By the way John do you know a fellow in your neck of the woods by the name of Duane Dodds who owned a 56' Buick Roadmaster 2-door? (turquoise and white)

Absolutely! Do you live in this area too?

current toys
56 Super 56R: acquired September 1974. 69 GS 400: Convertible added in 2003. 72 Electra Limited added July 2014.

Former toys:
69 Electra Limited 2 dr. bought 1995 or so, sold in 2007. 95 Riviera added May 1998, sold in 2006.

#20 JohnD1956

JohnD1956

Buick Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,737 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 08:41 PM

Not if a novice is doing metallic. A single application of metallic takes a lot of experience. When I painted my 66 Skylark, it was the 2nd car I had ever painted and being metallic I didn't want the blotcheness associated with metallic so I used DuPont bc/cc and it came out perfect. Anyone that seen it at the Buffalo or Flint Nationals would agree.

I am lead to believe single stage metallic paint cannot be easily wet sanded ( color ( or colour depending on where you live) sanded) and will lead to blotches as the metallic particiles are sanded then polished.

current toys

Former toys:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users