Picked up a 35 4dr

Guest Chi-Town

Guest Chi-Town

Hello I'm new to this site. My name is George. I just picked up a 35 plymouth yesterday. I'm kinda new to the Plymouth seen.

Can anyone help tell me what I have by the pics? Model,where to buy parts?

post-80418-143138720123_thumb.jpg

post-80418-143138720136_thumb.jpg

post-80418-143138720144_thumb.jpg

Your serial number should be on a tag on the front passenger door hinge post. You can look up that number to determine what factory it was built in and if it is a business, deluxe, etc. A list of serial numbers is on my web site at Plymouth First Decade: Where is the VIN? (or you can use the lookup tool on that site for the same purpose).

Mechanical parts should be fairly easy to find. Trim parts are the hard things on Plymouths of that vintage. The Plymouth Owners Club has a great magazine with a pretty good classified section in the back of each issue.

Guest Chi-Town

That sounds like some good info!! I have the S/S trim pieces to go on the grill and the sides of the hood, the only thing thats not there is the clips, Havent seen any on the parts sites yet..

The headlights might not be correct for the car, but I don't mind seeing as they have turn indicator lamps on top. He gave me the original white lens for the top. and the original Single tail lamp.

Whoever painted it, painted over the vin plate in the Pass door jam.... Were these stamped or just printed?? I don't wanna put stripper on it and find out I pulled the #s off..lol..

Is there any place that makes a double resivoir master cylinder or conversion kits for this Vehicle? It kinda scares me to run a single lug master..

It's raining today and I havent made room in the garage yet to store it. Should I be worried about the top leaking?? and if so what should I do ??

There should be absolutely no reason to change out the master cylinder. Those brakes are state of the art for 1935. You might try a LITTLE lacquer thinner to get the paint off of the serial number plate. The trim clips may be tough, but someone on this forum may have extras. I would ask the previous owner about the top and whether it leaks or not. A REALLY close inspection may tell if it has gaps.

There should be absolutely no reason to change out the master cylinder. Those brakes are state of the art for 1935. You might try a LITTLE lacquer thinner to get the paint off of the serial number plate. The trim clips may be tough, but someone on this forum may have extras. I would ask the previous owner about the top and whether it leaks or not. A REALLY close inspection may tell if it has gaps.

Darn you keiser31. You always have the correct answers and get to the question before I do. :D

Guest Chi-Town

Ok just got home and checked the inside of the car for water from the rain. It appears to have a little dampness in 1 corner of the headliner nothing to bad. Also appears to be original interior thru out, not bad at all for being 76 years old.. My daily driver is in rougher shape..lol.

Now I just need to start workin on the brakes. Found a local place that says he can supply everything to get the brakes in top original condition.

Thank you for the info about the Plymouths having a good foundation for brakes.

post-80418-143138720454_thumb.jpg

post-80418-143138720461_thumb.jpg

Here's another guy that may be helpful partswise...Andy Bernbaum Auto Parts for Chrysler's cars from 30s to 70s

I would suggest you get a shop manual or instruction book prior to attempting the brakes...they CAN be finicky, but are excellent if done correctly. Ebay can be your friend.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plymouth-Instruction-Book-First-Edition-1935-Ply-Delux-/380331324995?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588d837643

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Guest Chi-Town

Thank You for the help on more info..

I managed to remove the paint from the butcher that painted over the vin tag...Grrrrrrr.... #2406986. But what is all this PJ stuff I read about??

To fill out keiser31's post, your serial number tells us this about your car:

Serial Number 2406986

Found in range 2397601 to 2641320

Serial 9386 of 243720

Year 1935

Make Plymouth

Model Name DeLuxe

Model Code PJ

Plant Detroit

Engine 6 cylinder 201.3 cu.in. L-head

Wheelbase 113 inches

What I know about your car can be found at 1935 Plymouth

You might find the parts area of interest too, but I don't have a 1935 parts book so that year is missing from many of my entries. However if the 1934 and 1936 use the same part it is a good bet that the 1935 does too. :)

Guest Chi-Town

Ok first question of the day. The Rims on the vehicle, are they 1935 specific. Or did they use these same rims on other years?? I need to get atleast one if not two rims for this ride.

Any help would be appriciated..

I got those clips from a guy in Canada a few years ago. He went by 'the clip guy or the clip man or the likes. I had used some 3M sticky strips and they worked pretty good but when I had to take it apart I bought the clips I needed and that left him with only a couple. I found him thru Hemmings.

Guest DodgeKCL

Just a sidebar thought here. If you want to remove paint from an 'old' painted surface without damaging the 'old' paint you can use 'Reducer'. This is the stuff the professionals use to thin out their paints. Up here it comes in a 4 litre can just like lacquer thinners and is on the same shelf in the stores. If you ever are some how involved with somebody painting graffiti on something, you can use Reducer to remove the paint up to a month without disturbing the 'old' painted surface. I think it has something to do with the 'new' paint not hardening in the 1st month. Lacquer thinners would of course remove or smear everything no matter what age and paint stripper is ,well, paint stripper. All this is from personal experience.

(The Clip Man died last year or the year before. He was a Toronto area person. I don't know if his business is still around under new ownership or not. He was around for years.)

Edited by DodgeKCL (see edit history)

Ok first question of the day. The Rims on the vehicle, are they 1935 specific. Or did they use these same rims on other years?? I need to get atleast one if not two rims for this ride.

Any help would be appriciated..

I'm sort of thinking that the 1935 Dodge Brothers wheels may be the same. Not certain.