'38 BMW

Just a quick note: Doug has updated and expanded his website to include other projects he's been working on. The link is below. If anyone needs the services of a skilled and trustworthy fabricator, I recommend Doug without reservation. He is exceptionally bright, thorough, and straightforward.

https://sites.google.com/site/cyganrestorationfabrication/

• 2 months later...

Not an awful lot at the moment, though I do have a new wiring harness for the car. The plan is to rebuild the drivetrain & other mechanical bits starting from the hubs and working inward and upwards from there. Once the car is home - later this year - I plan on getting going on some of those things.

Time has been at a premium lately, however. I work at a startup tech company, I have two young children, and my in-laws have needed assistance lately.

It'll grt there as time and finances permit!

I'm sure there will be some waiting for bits and pieces, but most mechanical bits don't seem too tough to get. I do have the advantage of knowing the last guy to drive the car and he said that aside from the engine being worn, the rest of the drivetrain was smooth and quiet.

I'm not doing a restoration as much as a renovation. If there are bits that can be cleaned up and used as they are, that's what I'll do. For example, the gauges appear to have some age on them but they're functional. They're getting cleaned, lubricated as needed, and they're going in as they are. The steeting wheel looks really worn but is uncracked, so it's not being touched.

I already have some spares and there's certainly enough to keep me busy in the event that I'm waiting on some piece of unobtanium.

Just thinking your spending a lot of time and money on the body..... that's good really it will be a shame to have a car that doesn't run as good as it looks......... Over the years I have built many many off these. I'm retired so I'm not looking for work but really think about a balanced and blueprinted motor. Done right these are a smooth and quiet running engine........ they will always get you home. The best parts for the engine must be made. Good luck

I appreciate your thoughts and experience very much. Time and funds are being spent on the body right now because without that being sound, there's little point to the rest of it. The body and wood are only being repaired to the point of being sound and presentable, not to anything approaching aesthetic perfection. That would involve significantly more work. There are old repairs on both the body and frame that are visible but are being left alone because they're part of the car's history and they remain sound.

With that said, I have inherited my dad's view of mechanical things. He was a mechanical engineer for Grumman Aerospace for 35 years and his cars were rarely beautiful specimens. They often achieved high mileages and ran well despite being driven hard and fast for hundreds of thousands of miles, however. For a long time I too have driven ugly cars that work really well. He often said that at 100 mph in a snow storm at night, only certain things matter.

I am far more interested in having the mechanical aspect of the car robust than I am in shiny paint but my finances are limited to tackling one task at a time and putting a nicely rebuilt drivetrain into a car with a rusty frame and rotted wood doesn't make sense to me.

It'll be a strong car. My goal is to get as close to building a 90 mph car as I can. I also plan on using it as an occasional commuter and (hopefully) managing a speeding ticket with it. It'll just take time.

I'm supporting a family on one income and that ain't cheap 75 miles east of Manhattan.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...